PDA

View Full Version : Has it overheated?

Bolt of Fire
04-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi to all. I'm a new member who has owned a Firebolt XB12R for a couple of years. The bike was registered in November 2006. I bought it in March 2007 with just 200 miles on the clock! Even now, due to no spare time and British weather, it has only covered 500 odd miles! I took it for a spin today as the sun was out! During my ride, I had it running on it's stand for about 10 mins ( was having a chat with my Bro) and when I got back on it you could feel and smell the heat! As I set off I could hear a metallic tinkling noise but thought nothing of it. When I got home, I also realised that I never heard the fan come on at any time while I was out. With the engine off, I removed the seat and just poked the fan blades with a driver ( like you do!) and immediately the fan started spinning, albeit slowly and then came to a stop. Another poke saw it spinning again but much faster!) I started the engine again and the fan stopped. It was in no way stuck and was spinning freely. Also when I tried to re-start the engine, it wouldn't. I think the engine was too hot! I suspect I've got a faulty fan, or whatever it is that triggers the fan operation. The worry is, has it overheated and caused damage? Has anyone else had this problem? A few years back when I test rode a firebolt, the fan seemed to be on all the time! Unfortunately there is no temp gauge, but the manual seems to suggest that that the engine caution light should flash and the engine run at alternate spark, but mine didn't! Thanks for any advise, and sorry for the long explanation, cheers, Paul.
PS. About an hour later, the bike fired up ok, but seemed a bit lumpy, but maybe I'm imagining this as it always sounds lumpy!

Bolt of Fire
04-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Sorry, should have posted this on Firebolt sub-forum, but engines work the same I suppose.

BadDad320
04-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Tell us more about when you tried to start the bike and it wouldn't. Did the engine "turn over" but fail to start or when you hit the starter was the engine "locked".... no movement if you know what I mean?????

Stevenc150
04-13-2009, 02:52 AM
It's not good to let it idle for 10 mins because it'll foul your plugs. That's probably why you have a "lumpy" idle now. Next time, let it idle long enough to gear up, ride it easy for a few miles, and then it should be golden. Doing this + NGK Iridium plugs, I've never fouled plugs since.

First, I'd check fuse #10, replace plugs with iridiums, take another short ride, and the fan should come on when you get back and stop. If it doesn't, post back up, you may need a new fan.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the Forum! :D[up]

LeFox
04-13-2009, 07:37 AM
since it's been a while that you rode your buell, did you do a checkup before starting it?

letting it idle for so long, isn't a good thing to do, there's not enough airflow and the temp goes up too much too fast, which is not good for your engine.

my guess is due to the long standstill some dust got between your fan making it hard to get going, which you solved by aiding it with a driver.

what i would suggest is let if cool down, check your oil, tire pressure & condition, etc.
start (if it does), get your gloves & helmet and go for a nice, long, not to hard drive with no traffic.
after a while and you're going @ average speed, you should feel some nice warmth from your headers. park it and your fan should start running.

if it doesn't, check if your engine temp sensor works.

Bolt of Fire
04-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the quick replies guys! The answer to BadDad, yes the engine was cranking over but not starting. This was while the engine was still hot and I was investigating the fan operation. The engine definitely isn't seized. I went back about an hour later and it started fine but seemed lumpy. Thinking back, I don't ever recall the fan coming on for any length of time on past rides, certainly not audible! Like I said before, the Firebolt I test rode a couple of years ago had it's fan running almost all the time, even when riding, and it was loud! I think my bike has a dodgy fan or sensor. I'm just hoping no damage has been caused. That would be a great shame for an engine that has only covered 500 miles and for my wallet! I suppose this bike has been dormant for too long. It was manufactured in 2004, but not registered till end of 2006. Then I bought it and have hardly used it. Still not sure why the engine caution light did not flash, but maybe the intermittent spark was prevening the bike from starting? And in answer to Lefox, no I did not do any checks! It was a spur of moment thing. I was clearing some junk in the garage, saw the bike and the sun and left the junk where it was! I will head all advice given and be more cautious next time, thanks again, but any more ideas/advice welcome, cheers, Paul.
PS. Something else I did not mention, the battery was not fully charged! Just enough to start the bike from cold, but surely enough to operate a fan?!

Bolt of Fire
04-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Well had another look today and the fan has started behaving. Left it running ( I know I shouldn't!) and the fan came on soon after the engine reached temperature. I turned the engine off and the fan stayed running........something I am sure it has never done before. I'm putting it down to maybe a bit of dirt in the fan motor windings, and after the tinkering, it has somehow cleaned itself. Took it for a nice run ( another sunny Easter Bank Holiday.......don't usually get those in UK!). Bike felt great and when I got home and turned engine off, fan came on! Thanks again for the advice, mileage now over 600! Even treated it to a dusting down and polish. Looks brand new! Cheers, Paul.

LeFox
04-14-2009, 08:01 AM
would check oillevel, though...

and give it a service, the oil goes sour after standing for so long. ;)

Bolt of Fire
04-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Will do. It deserves a full service.[up]