PDA

View Full Version : All lights out switch?

Hotrod
04-13-2009, 04:30 AM
Has anybody put a switch to kill all the lights on the bike? I have done this on all my other bikes but cannot find the right wire to shut off all the lights on my 04 xb12s

kajer
04-13-2009, 06:22 AM
I'd opt for a tail light "out" switch before I kill my headlights too... Just my $.02

rhpaw
04-13-2009, 02:15 PM
fuse?

Stevenc150
04-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Pg. 17, Appendix B of the '04 Service Manual has the wiring diagram. It looks like the Orange/White wire coming out of the "accessory" fuse might be the one you're looking for. Pull it and it should kill all your lights I think.

I have the Service manual in .PDF version if you don't have it. I can email it to you if you want to post up your address.

Hotrod
04-13-2009, 06:14 PM
I tried the acc fuse it only kills the dash and tail light but not the brake or headlights. I do have the service manuel and tried tracing all the wires! On my Honda 900rr it was only one wire out of the ignition switch. I just want to be able to hit a switch and disapear if I was being chased or anything

kajer
04-13-2009, 06:24 PM
if you want to kill EVERYthing, then look to kill the ground wire to said lights.

if you kill the ground, you only need to switch one wire per light.

Stevenc150
04-13-2009, 07:07 PM
The schematic must be flawed. I noticed there was also a "Light" fuse, did you try it?

Hotrod
04-13-2009, 07:33 PM
The light fuse only kills the headlights. I was thinking about killing both the light fuse and the acc fuse, but I do like the idea of switching the grounds instead of switching hot wires! It's a lot safer

kajer
04-13-2009, 11:14 PM
either way, you are disrupting energy flow, hot or cold wires. the benefit to switching ground, if a connection comes loose and starts shorting against something else, the light bulb will just light back up, rather than blow fuses.

The downside, don't cut ground from anything essential, such as the ecm...

If I were to do it, I would have a relay at either end of the bike, one on the headlights ground and one at the tail light ground, and wire the relays together, and powered from one switch.

tooBUELL4school
08-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Anyone ever figure this out?

Matteson
08-13-2014, 11:51 PM
also put a dimmer switch in so you can make it look like you are really far away. Know what I'm saying?

Cooter
08-14-2014, 02:36 PM
You can use a choke cable to pull up your hinged license plate. Not that I'd condone that behavior;)

I have also never, ever, turned on my left blinker, crested a hill and cranked a hard right turn. It's harder than you think without practice.

jaimz
08-26-2014, 10:36 PM
I'm just curious.. why would you want to do that?

captain chaos
08-26-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm just curious.. why would you want to do that?

Agreed. The ONLY reason I can think of for wanting to be able to kill all lights is to hide after you take part in some form of unsavory behavior; which I find to bet utterly stupid and I hope they absolutely throw the book at whoever takes part in such idiotic behavior WHEN they get caught.
Besides, if you're trying to hide from the law you'd have to be an utter moron to try and do it on something as easily identifiable as a Buell.

I'm hoping the OP has some kind of worthwhile and upstanding reason for wanting to do this. I'm curious as to what the reason could be myself.

ztied
08-27-2014, 12:50 AM
It you do it with the ground wire to the kill switch you won`t have the current running thru the switch, which would keep the switch from melting or having to use a relay.
Just use the ground at headlight,and ground at tail light, simple wiring,and if you use the ground,It would eliminate the brake light coming on when you brake. It would kill the tail light and brake light.I almost got rear ended from a cop, I guess he was checking out my bike,and not paying attention. He sounded his buzzer to worn me, he stayed back after that.
Good luck

jaimz
08-27-2014, 02:16 AM
The ONLY reason I can think of for wanting to be able to kill all lights is to hide after you take part in some form of unsavory behavior

The only unsavory business I deal with is snack food.