PDA

View Full Version : New member NOT new to the life support of a Buell

Chicknstripn
08-18-2014, 02:53 AM
I've been a creeper, or whatever you guys call it, on this forum for a while. I own a 2007 xb12r. I bought her new in the fall of 2007 and we have been through A LOT in the 41k I've put on her. I'm currently rebuilding my motor for the SECOND time in two years! Y? My trans started acting up on me 5k after a total engine rebuild! Too much class and money in this old girl to just give up on her! I KNOW a lot of you smart ass regulars on this forum have a ton of knowledge. So, please don't burn me at the stake for this first post. I need help finding a transmission for my girl. I've checked eBay and Buellsterparts with no luck. I really don't want to get rapped by my local HD dealer. So, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

snrusnak
08-18-2014, 03:09 AM
Yo mang! You still don't have that bike all hammered out!?

ReadyXB
08-18-2014, 03:15 AM
Welcome! I thought I recognized you from the "other" forum :) I had been following your tranny thread there. Sorry I don't have any leads, but hopefully someone else will!

I just happen to be elbows deep in my own transmission work. My poor S10 transmission survived 240k miles, but now I am having to rebuild it. I am slowly finding the parts (and getting the correct parts is the challenge).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/7vdmblqmk83vr6a/NV3500_M50.jpg

Chicknstripn
08-18-2014, 03:29 AM
Hey snrusnak! I did get the bike back together but like I stated the trans started acting up. I originally thought it was just a fueling issue but isolated the symptoms to third gear. Now I'm dissecting my bike, for the second time in two years, to try and remedy this issue.
ReadyXB... I thought you looked familiar too! That s10 action is way beyond anything I'd try! I'm lucky to have a buddy that runs a salvage yard. Anytime I have an issue with my cage it's a pretty easy fix. Wish I could say the same about my poor firebolt!
People, including my wife, say it's my own fault(all the crap I'm going through now) for pushing the bike so hard over so many miles. I say BS. I've taken great care of my bike. AND riding hard... ...that's what bikes are made for!

thrstrmech
08-18-2014, 04:41 AM
newcastlehd.com has been a great source for parts and best online prices besides surdyke.com, LSHD1.com, kutter Harley Davidson and so on. On ebay, check pinwall cycles or google them. They usually have a pretty good stock of Buell parts at great prices. Give them a call if you can't find the part listed online, they may have it on the shelf. Good luck.

Chicknstripn
08-18-2014, 04:51 AM
I'm about to call surdyke, got a great price on a CPS from them a little while back. I'll check out the others you mentioned. First I've heard of em. AND THAT IS WHY I POSTED HERE. Thanx

gbalias
08-18-2014, 12:03 PM
im watching you, chikn.

lol

UMDterp13
08-18-2014, 01:26 PM
I have a 06/07+ trans & 03-05 trans let's talk

Chicknstripn
08-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Pm sent

Chicknstripn
08-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Still searching for that trans..,, been searching fleabay and started thinking??? I know that's never a good thing. Could I use the transmission out of an xb9? Are the bottom ends on an xb9 and xb12 the same aside from the primary gearing?

Chicknstripn
08-22-2014, 05:31 PM
So anyone know if the xb9 transmission and xb12 are interchangeable?

John422
08-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Hey I'm a baker transmission dealer of you want the best. I could hook you up.

theMelvster6
08-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Yes, the transmissions are the same between the xb9 and xb12...the difference is the 12 has 2.812 stroke crank assembly and the 9 has 3.125 stroke crank assembly. The variations in the transmissions are the years. I wish we could get a 6-speed tranny in there...

2003-2005 transmissions are much different from 2006-2010 transmissions. You can't install a 03-05 trans in a 06-10 engine case and vise versa (unless you are a serious machinist and get extremely creative)

Chicknstripn
08-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Melv- I know that the stroke is different as well as the primary gearing between the xb9 and xb12 I just never read anything about the actual transmissions/gears. I guess I didn't look hard enough. Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate it
John- I'm not looking to spend 2k on a transmission. Also my bike is a 2007xb12r. I wasn't aware baker made transmissions for my model year. Anything I've ever found by baker is usually for the older trap door model Buells. Enlighten me?????