PDA

View Full Version : Pipes

congersCG
05-31-2007, 09:42 PM
Are there pipes on the market for the buell that sound like the Bubs pipes sound, I dont want to change the sound I just want louder.[cool]

mrdozer2you
06-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Hmm, maybe get the econo drummer then. It's your factory exhaust hollowed out. Should sound the same only louder.

congersCG
06-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Econo Drummer, I'll go check it out. I have made no modification to the bike. Is it exspencive to have the exhaust hollowed out? Thanks for the reply, damn I sure love riding my buell all over the mountains. I just would like to be a little louder for deer, driveways, and corners.

BadS1
06-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Econo drummer is not what you want if louder like the Bub set up is. The closest thing is going to be the D&D. The Bubs were pretty loud and performed much in the same way the D&D does. You'll need a Race ECM and a Race air filter or K&N filter.

mrdozer2you
06-02-2007, 04:53 PM
D&D is good but expensive for what it is. If you just want noise go with the Econo Drummer.

Check out KDfab.com

BadS1
06-02-2007, 07:00 PM
For what it is??? The D&D is King of all pipes in the Mid range. Actually the pipe performs quite well. This gentlemen wants noise and the Econo Drummer will not deliver even close the sound that Bubs pipes are. The Econo Drummer offer zero performance upgrade as well.

Das Bolt
06-03-2007, 10:26 PM
What about the Jardine RT-1? That's what I have and it sounds great,alot lighter than stock too.

mrdozer2you
06-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Thats what I have as well but it sounds to me more like a crack than a thump. ( If that makes any sense) I think he's looking for more of a thump type sound.

congersCG
06-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Yes yes yes... I want the sportster sound only louder, I dont want to lose the harley in the sound. Thanks for the post fellas, Ill go check some of these sugestions out. Any sites that have audio clips? Is it a requirement to put on the race ECM, if I use the D&D pipes?[cool]

Das Bolt
06-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Oh,ok the D&D looks kinda like the stock exaust so if it was hollowed out you would get a deeper base sound instead of the strait pipe sound like the jardine.As far as the race ecm,I ran for a whole season with the stock ecm and jardine with no trouble.I just installed the race ecm,not really impressed.I think I'd rather have the 200 bucks back or one of the aftermarket ecm's that you can fine tune.

mrdozer2you
06-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Thats kinda what I figured as well about the pipes. Bigger pipe = deeper thump but not as high db. Smaller pipe = louder and higher db, but not as much thump. Im sure someone here could go into more detail on how it all works, but I think thats pretty much it in laymans terms. All I know is I set off car alarms all the time riding down side streets and in parking garages[cool] As far as the ecm goes i'm still unsure if i'll change mine out or not. If I get the open air box I will for sure, just due to the fact that I dont want the bike to run to lean. Am I right in assuming that? ( free flow pipe + more air flow = leaning motor out - not enough fuel getting squirted?)

BadS1
06-06-2007, 11:27 PM
The D&D is nothing like the stock exhaust and it sound more HD then any of them..... I've pretty much heard them all.:D:D:D:D

v12tiger
06-07-2007, 02:06 AM
I don't recommend the D&D[down]

BadS1
06-07-2007, 02:53 AM
You don't recommend the D&D?? You are not giving any reason for your thought. Have you owned one?? I have and great experience. I changed after a year and a half on the account I nolonger wanted the noise.It was getting hard on my ears. If I was to choose a pipe it would be a Drummer SS. I also have the Buell race pipe on my 9.

erkblack
06-07-2007, 05:43 PM
if you aree still lookin i have been working with left hand black cycles and building exhaust systems for buells. we make a single chamber with outlet on left and a duell chamber with out let on both sides. contact me at erkblack@yahoo.com

Das Bolt
06-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah,mine is kinda loud. I use ear plugs on the hiway as much for the wind noise as the exaust.So how much does the D&D weigh? It looks heavy compared to the jardine.

v12tiger
06-08-2007, 12:16 AM
You don't recommend the D&D?? You are not giving any reason for your thought. Have you owned one??

Yup, I own one now.. and I'm greedy and don't want to share my cool toys.. So I recommend no one buys D&D..

v12tiger
06-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Yup, I own one now.. and I'm greedy and don't want to share my cool toys.. So I recommend no one buys D&D..

J/K, sort of. The D&D is amazing. I only have experience with the stock pipe and the D&D and my research on the internets and with talking to ppl. I didn't want to repack a muffler, ever, so that took several out of the equation, and I wanted strong power in the range that I ride in, mid-range. So there was only 1 option that I could afford. D&D. Ironically, I wanted an awesome sound to my bike, and it just so happens that the D&D resounded with the best of them. The trick to making the D&D reach a price point equal to the lesser, is being able to sell your stock muffler. No luck so far with me, but also have barely tried.

BadS1
06-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Odie buys muffler's for 50 bucks plus shipping. I don't understand when you said you didn't want to repack a pipe. The only one that needs to be repacked is the Jardine.

mrdozer2you
06-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Nah, I'll never repack mine. I'll run it till it falls apart. Then attempt to fab a new one. I'm pretty confident that all these different aftermarket pipes are simple straight through designs. The only real difference that I've noticed are the overall interior size and packing material.

BadS1
06-08-2007, 03:29 AM
Boy I hope your ok. I know someone that didn't repack and it came apart at the head pipe and he's got pins in his shoulder. You might want to rethink that. Pipe drops and you'll pogo over the bars.
As far as these pipes being the same other then size and being straight through design's ??? Your very wrong Sir.

mrdozer2you
06-08-2007, 01:10 PM
If the pipe drops then we'll have a law suit against the manufacturer for reason of a defect. I'm joking about riding it till it falls apart. I'm sure long before that would happen I will have heard some nice metal vibration sounds if the rivits fail. Besides the pipe was only $300 + ship. If I get 5k miles outa it im happy. No repack for me, I'll just buy another or get a Drummer SS ( that is if the price drops a bit ) Or if D&D comes out with something not so stock looking. ( I hate, hate, hate, the stock pipe/look ) The stock pipe looks as if it belongs on a piece of farm equipment and not something as high performance as the Buell. I liked the performance aspect of the stock pipe better actually. It felt like the power was more consistent thru the entire range of rpm's where the aftermarket there are some dead spots. My suggestion to Buell : Powder Coat the damn stock pipe!! Remove any baffling material inside it, and offer a silencer tip for people who dont want noise! (hmmm...wonder if they'll listen?)

BadS1
06-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Ok thats a good way to have common sense. Jardine states that the exhaust needs to be repacked. If you don't maintain the product as they say,then you have NO LAWSUIT. Repacking takes hardly no time at all. Sure beats spending 300 if you only have to spend 25. The Drummer SS..... well you better get on Kevin's waiting list and don't expect a price reduction especially considering he has a waiting list and it sell's well just the way it is. The D&D looks nothing like the the Stocker. Doesn't even resemble it.... at all. I've had one,its twin pipes and each is about 4 inch each in diameter. As far as them doing that to a stock pipe from the factory ??? It'll never happen they made the race pipe not a hollowed out stock pipe that without it internal's would perform poorly on the account of zero back pressure.

mrdozer2you
06-09-2007, 01:18 PM
All im saying is make the stocker louder and more pleasing to the eye, and offer a silencer for people who dont want the added noise :D

MPea3
06-09-2007, 08:42 PM
I just finished putting an original Drummer on Beth's XB12Scg. The sound is absolutely wonderful, more similar to an Italian twin than a Harley. Deep and noticeable but not offensively loud. KDfab says their dyno runs show a power increase, but she hasn't hammered it enough yet to really know. Of course at 94 pounds she doesn't HAVE to hammer it to go fast.

Workmanship and finish on the Drummer are wonderful, and it took about an hour for the two of us to make the swwitch.

Now to put the original pipe on ebay...