PDA

View Full Version : plasma cutter

joe99870
08-27-2014, 09:18 PM
hey guys,

any one here use a plasma cutter for work or play? Im in the market for one right now. I need to do some projects on some cars that require something reliable. need some advice for the purchase of a cheap plasma cutter that gets the job done and will cut through anything that a car can throw at me.

Some ideas on some different brands and models would be cool from those with experience. I need one ASAP. Im on a budget, so please no crazy prices. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cosworth
08-27-2014, 10:00 PM
Plasma cutters in general are pretty pricey unless you go offbrand like harborfreight or something which are decent for thin metals. I think northern tool has a fairly cheap one too. But a cheap one is still in the 500+ range. Maybe keep an eye out on craigslist. Or maybe check this one out its got some decent reviews http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200596695_200596695

I personally have a hobart airforce700 which is pretty good, in my spare time I do chassis work it handles everything ive thrown at it.

mmcustoms
08-27-2014, 11:49 PM
I got one from eastwood a dual voltage one
I only used it a few times so far it seem to work nice

nicholas900
08-28-2014, 12:14 AM
Are you looking for a portable with built in air compressor? How much you looking to spend?

I've been looking myself latley. My buddy has the Eastwood (Versa Cut?) Its a smaller one, around 500-550 something like that. I used it as his shop on 240 and it worked real nice. Then borrowed it for a few days. In my shop at 120 it worked ok-pretty good. Seemed a lot better at 240.

I think I'm going to get a Hypertherm....But it big bucks. I'll just borrow his till I save up the loot. He cuts all kinds of stuff, frames, roll bars, and the like. He is happy with it.

Cosworth
08-28-2014, 12:30 AM
^ Good point, you need a pretty decent sized compressor to keep up with a plasma. I ran a small twin tank working in a buddies garage but took forever tons of downtime waiting on it to catch up.

brock
08-29-2014, 12:49 AM
I'm always one to buy name brand stuff, I have a lincoln mig and miller tig and just about 15k in mac and snap on tools and boxes, BUT i have to say, go on eBay and look at the collossal plasma cutter. It's cheap and Chinese but I have had it over a year and the only thing that went on it was the on and off switch. Look it up on YouTube there are some reviews. I personally have cut through 1/2 plate steel with it and it does it without skipping a beat. The one thing you will need to get is a regulator, the one that comes with it is a piece of ****. Total I think I spent $350-$375.

Cooter
08-29-2014, 02:32 AM
+1 on Hypertherm. It's my favorite tool. Just behind my BFH:D

joe99870
09-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Great to have some feedback on the plasma cutter and your guys choice on the machine you went with. You know, I went with the longevity plasma cutter cause it has a good warranty, the customer service was awesome and I was able to get alot of info from the longevity forum at www.freeweldingforum.com.
I checked out other chinese plasmas. Eastwood, Hobart etc. Good looking machines, but not as powerful as the 40D and I am guessing no product support. I paid the same price for the 40D, and the machine is dual voltage.

Cant beat that, and if you can, let me know for my next welder or plasma cutter purchase...
Ill post some pics of the machines progress when I get a chance.