PDA

View Full Version : 50 MPH lowside

Buellysses
04-15-2009, 02:28 AM
Well guys, I think I'm going to have to ground myself from my bike for a while... (gives me a good excuse to do the work I've been wanting to do on it anyway)

I was on a heavy right hand on-ramp, it was a 270 degree (cloverleaf type) ramp with a pretty healthy bank to it. I was going about 40 or 50 MPH and leaning into the corner pretty hard when I hit a patch of sand.

Needless to say it didn't work out so hot for the bike, my gear, my skin, or my pride. I'll tell you what though, chalk up another testimonial for wearing your gear.

My jacket, riding pants, jeans, and gloves are toast. Thankfully my $500 Shoei only got some light scuffing on the face shield.

The bike is short a front brake lever, a mirror, belt guard, and a frame puck.

I managed to loose a couple layers of skin on my right knuckle and knee.

Son-of-a &#*@ !!!!

I have been mulling over doing a complete re-paint of the bike, I guess I have a good reason now. That is assuming I can keep it upright when I'm done...

Trill
04-15-2009, 02:36 AM
Damn that sucks. Glad you're ok and all. What kind of riding pants did you have? And how do you rate the gear you had for protection?

Buellysses
04-15-2009, 02:53 AM
Yeah, I'd say pride hurts more then anything... Nothing like hurting yourself being dumb. I should have been able to handle the corner at the speed I was going, but certainly wouldn't have been going that fast had I scoped it out first... Oh well.

As far as the gear:
Gloves were just mechanix wear gel-grip with knuckle protection (grey ones). Comfortable, good palm protection, knuckles didn't protect very well at all.

Jacket and pants were both Fieldsheer. I had a mesh jacket. Jacket link (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/9506/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Mach-8-Mesh-Jacket.aspx) I'm very happy with the jacket, and will be ordering another one. I did most of the slide on my right arm and shoulder and don't even have a scratch.

The Pants (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/2362/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Adventure-Pants.aspx) were ok. If I was smart (obviously we have answered that one already) I would have left the knee armor in there. I couldn't get them to fit right so I don't know that it would have helped anyways. But I am a lot better off having them on then I would have been without them. The ass-armor worked exceptionally well.

Regardless, the pant were WAY too hot to be wearing in the summer so I will not be repurchasing them. I will probably get a set of the Fieldsheer mesh pants to go with my jacket.

On a side note, I paid $170 for the jacket last summer... its on sale for $99 right now.

steve may
04-15-2009, 02:55 AM
Man I'm sorry to hear that, glad it was just A couple layers of skin and nothing serious.Glad your one of us who wears their gear.

tf1175
04-15-2009, 03:44 AM
I was trying on some pants this last weekend and i had the same problem with the knee guards. Seemed like every pant i tried on didnt fit or was just too bulky. But regardless of the size or model pant i tried on, the knee protectors seemed very low. They were down on my shins and I am almost certain they were knee protectors because they were shaped for a knee. not sure why they were so low! I am not a short guy eithrer so the pants weren't long either!

dave_xb12r
04-15-2009, 03:46 AM
Sorry to hear about the lowside, but at least you're ok for the most part.

Buying all new gear sucks, that stuff adds up! If heat is an issue there, I would recommend getting some Dainese summer pants to at least wear under jeans, if not under basic leathers.

What technique do you use for leaning into the turn? Do you lean with the bike, or more than the bike? I know people can debate all day about which is better, but I'm just curious.

Stevenc150
04-15-2009, 04:02 AM
VERY Glad to hear you're OK. Cough another one up for reasons to wear your gear. [up] Not much you can do when you're at lean, middle of a curve, and hit sand/gravel/etc. On the bright side, could've been much worse.

steve may
04-15-2009, 05:00 AM
When in doubt gas it! Just kidding. Ever heard that one?

LeFox
04-15-2009, 10:15 AM
glad to hear you're ok & welcome to the club!

[up] for gearing up, unlucky timing though :o

Buellysses
04-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Lol, thanks guys...

As far as the lean, I was hanging off the bike pretty good. Maybe bad technique, but it was all I could do to keep the bike in the lean.

I was looking at the rear tire when I got it back to the shop where i've been parking my bike, from what I could tell I was at the edge of the tire. (no more chicken strip on the right side anyway, going to have to try for the left side when I get back on it. Hopefully with slightly less sliding on the pavement/gravel.) :D

kajer
04-15-2009, 06:29 PM
I love those onramps, great places to hold that perfect lean, but, it always scares me that there is gravel/sand/whatever somewhere. I'm sorry you actually found it. :(

dave_xb12r
04-15-2009, 07:44 PM
If you say you were hanging off the bike, I would consider that good technique. I've always thought that leaning your body more than the bike makes for a safer turn, especially on questionable surfaces. Its makes the bike lean less, giving you more traction.

Stevenc150
04-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Like Dave said, less lean (closer to 0 degrees), the more traction. Speaking of technique.....

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h155/fr3akn0t/sport_rider_lean_angle_600rrforumco.jpg?t=12396359 30

steve may
04-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Thanks Stevenc 150, good info.

Buellysses
04-16-2009, 01:49 PM
hmm... where's the picture of the guy sliding across the pavement Stevenc? Or is that not a recommended technique? :p

Stevenc150
04-16-2009, 02:16 PM
hmm... where's the picture of the guy sliding across the pavement Stevenc? Or is that not a recommended technique?
Only if you're looking for a New paint job. ;)

racepro716
04-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Ok, maybe it's just colder up here in Canada but...I NEVER go out without my full leathers. By the way it gets real hot here too. I ride my fair share of 100+F days. I've been down at the track at 50-60 mph. The slide lasted forever but got up, brushed off and walked away. Not quite sure what people are thinking wearing jeans and calling them "protection". A full one piece suit(with armour) is the only way to go. Sorry if I sound like a dick.
Wayne

Buellysses
04-17-2009, 02:32 AM
My favorite are the morons (usually on a crotch rocket) wearing shorts, a tank top, and sandals. Yeah, no *#&@, sandals. WOW.

The good news with that, is that the Darwin affect will eventually come out ahead...

tf1175
04-17-2009, 02:48 AM
i agree the proper protection is a must have but on those hot days it cna be brutal in full gear. I dont own a full leather suit and I probably won't because I just find it a pain to suit up and be so hot in all the gear. Not disagreeing that its AWESOME protection but for me I usually wear just boots, jeans, full face helmet, gloves, and a nice armored jacket....anything else and I am too hot and too smothered...

also some of that gear gets expensive but i guess if you ever fall down then you will be happy you wore full leathers...tough decisions

LeFox
04-17-2009, 09:10 AM
before i forget, Buellysses, you now have the right to post here: click (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/General-Motorcycle-Chat/asphalt-meetings--the-gear-that-protected-you.) :p;)

tf1175, i got a leather suit that is treated for hot days with enough vents in them to get some cooling.
as most black things it draws the sun making it extra hot, but this suit is treated resulting in a reflecting of the sun (like white clothes)
i would recommend, if it's really hot to get the dainese protective mesh pants and biker's reinforced jeans.

Buellysses
04-17-2009, 03:12 PM
LOL. Thanks Fox.

Too bad I tossed the jacket already or I would have posted some pics. It was pretty well *#&@ed up. All the leather on the forearm was shredded and the shoulder pad on the right side was damn near worn through.

Here's a good question though. I took my helmet out for a closer inspection yesterday and noticed that there was some very light scuffing on the helmet shell itself not just the visor. Is this cause for needing a replacement? It looks like the scuffing barely made it through the paint. I know the manufacturer wants you to replace it, but is that because it's a safety concern? Or do they just want another $500 out of me?

LeFox
04-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Here's a good question though. I took my helmet out for a closer inspection yesterday and noticed that there was some very light scuffing on the helmet shell itself not just the visor. Is this cause for needing a replacement? It looks like the scuffing barely made it through the paint. I know the manufacturer wants you to replace it, but is that because it's a safety concern? Or do they just want another $500 out of me?
i would say you're still ok...

but according to others, you can't even paint your helmet. why? not cause it's no longer safe, but should something happen and you suffer damage, you can't take the manufacturer to court or claim anything from the insurance company.

racepro716
04-18-2009, 01:55 AM
Hey Buellysses...Have a REAL close look inside the helmet. If the styrofoam under the lining is compressed even a little, dump the helmet it is garbage. I hit a car once (the car won) only had light paint marks on the helmet from the car, they rubbed off. The inner styrofoam liner was compressed to about half of original. Helmets only work once. Wayne