PDA

View Full Version : Stalling/No Start Continues...

MnBueller
09-03-2014, 09:23 PM
I need the electrical whiz's here,

I am still working on trying to figure out why my 07 Uly is shutting down as I ride. It sometimes will not light the "Check Engine" light and then not start too. I have so far: Cleaned, sanded and retightened all grounds and added the battery to engine ground, checked and rechecked all fuses, checked and replaced the Ignition relay, opened the back of the fuse block to check for loose or rubbed wires, and checked and cleaned most connections to the ECM. When it dies I can lift the seat off and bend/twist/pull the wires on the gray connector and it will always eventually light the Check Engine light, cycle the fuel pump, and start. I can even make it stall by tugging a bit on the same wires if I am persistent. The confusing part is, it's usually the yellow wire on the gray connector, which the manual says is for "Memory." Not the Power wire or Ground wire on the black connector. Could a bad connection to "Memory" cause these issues?

nicholas900
09-04-2014, 12:35 AM
It sounds like you did a good job of diagnosing. If tugging on the ECM grey connector stalls the bike, or helps it restart and this is repeatable.... I'd say you just about have it.

I'd pull the ecm and look it over good for cracks. Is your seat pushing on it at all?

MnBueller
09-05-2014, 12:39 AM
Thanks Nicholas, I am trying to follow the lead of all those who have gone through this before me. I have had the ECM out several times. no cracks at all that I can see. And the seat is just barely hitting the rubber snubber that is supposed to protect it. I removed it and relocated it just to see if that might help...nope. So it's back in the original position again. I have seen a thread over at Bad weather Bikers with photos about bad solder joints inside the ECM, and am starting to wonder about that now too. Maybe wiggling the wires isn't manipulating a bad wire or connection, but a loose or bad connection inside? I'm really grabbing at straws here because I have been working on this for weeks now and am running out of ideas.

MnBueller
09-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Well, I bought a used ECM on Ebay yesterday. Should be here in a few days, so I'll know if that is the problem soon enough. If not, then I have an extra just in case...

MnBueller
09-22-2014, 12:15 AM
Installed new(used) ECM, did all the appropriate ECMSpy work, and off I went for a 4 day ride. And the Uly ran like a dream! It seems that damn ECM was my problem all along. I will be opening it up this winter to take a look inside to see what those solder joints look like. Thanks again all for the support and ideas. at least I know all my grounds and connectors are clean and tight now!