PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Pawl Questions...

ith5005
09-10-2014, 12:02 AM
I bought a 2009 Buell Blast from a dealer for pretty cheap telling me "something" is wrong with the transmission. After receiving the bike and learning they took a bunch of other non-transmission parts from it and getting those and getting it running I obviously have transmission problems. I can get into N, 1st, 2nd, 3rd with no problem. I have hit 4th gear twice in multiple times taking it out. Sometimes shifting into first the gears grind and have to keep hitting the shifter to make it stop. I took the side cover apart and found the pawl looks to be warn. The detent was loose and I took it off by hand. I have read a lot of things on here saying the pawl needs to be reset. Could this be that problem or could a fork be bent within the transmission? I am not sure and was hoping for some advice before I take the whole transmission apart. Does the pawl wear easily or does it need to be reset more than anything?

Any advice would be great!! thanks!

ith5005
09-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Just an update........After doing the pawl adjustment and putting everything back together I can now actually hit 4th and never before seen 5th gear! So this seems to be a big problem with these transmissions and seems to be a simple fix if you have a few hours and some tools!! :)