PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar vibrations

DruAdams
06-01-2007, 02:43 PM
I have noticed that at highway speeds, the vibration of the bars (especially the throttle) is such that my hand gets that feeling like it has fallen asleep. I havent really noticed this at less than 60 mph mostly just above 70. I havent noticed any excessive vibrations or shaking other than the tingling in my right hand. I have stock grips and Joe Rocket gloves. I was looking at either getting some bar end weights, or different grips or possibly the gloves with the gel palms. Any suggestions?

NOMORE4s4ME
06-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Get larger gell grips and gell gloves and that should take some of the vibration away. Also, your cruising RPM will determin how your bike shakes.

DruAdams
06-01-2007, 05:35 PM
any suggestions on the gel grips? and my cruising rpm's at highway speed is someplace around 2500-3500 rpm. Any faster than 80ish and the bike seems too light to hold a straight course on I-95 but then it might be the 25+ mph cross winds we have had in florida these past few weeks

hottoddy69
06-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Too light? .... must be the crosswinds that you mentioned.

NOMORE4s4ME
06-01-2007, 08:56 PM
americansportbike.com has some larger gel grips for added comfort. I dont know what else you can do. You might have circulation issues. Buells arent the best highway bikes out there. Better to keep it off them if at all possible.

tbramich
06-05-2007, 09:32 PM
its a harley motor they vibrate

DruAdams
06-06-2007, 02:29 AM
tried the Joe Rocket gel gloves, they were more uncomfortable than the vibration, so i took them back. Im gonna see about the other grips. I know its a harley engine, but the vibration seems worse on the right hand than the left. and mostly at around 3k rpm.
since im not planning on trying to find the top speed on the bike i doubt i will be cruising any where near redline so im trying to find a comfortable rpm to putt about town

DruAdams
06-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Just put out an inquiry to BarSnake to see if their product would help with my problem. I will let everyone know what thier response is

DruAdams
06-07-2007, 11:59 AM
I received a reply from BarSnake today, they are supposed to be comming out with a product designed for clip-on's like the firebolt has it is to be called the De-Rattler. I will post more as i learn more

Das Bolt
06-08-2007, 12:22 AM
I've noticed the same thing, my right hand gets numb on long rides. I think it's because it's constantly holding the throttle while the left hand gets to flex working the clutch.

v12tiger
06-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Guys, I've got the same problem exactly, only I have never even thought it was related to vibrations.. and I still don't. I'm still trying to figure out the best solution, but the main factors which lead to my hand being numb seem to be: my right glove(at my wrist) starts to cut off the circulation from the angle of my wrist when I'm on long rides and basically resting my upper body weight on my bars, and also related to resting my weight on my grips, it seems to force all the blood out of my palm and disallow blood circulation. My fixes so far have been un-doing the velcro on my glove or loosening my grip and not putting so much pressure on the outside portion of my palm..

But then again.. why is it only our right hands?? I don't do any clutching on the highway to keep the blood going in my left.. soo..

maybe buell needs to do some more research.. If you buell R&D guys are reading this.. I'll happily be a test pig

tbramich
06-08-2007, 12:15 PM
your right hand goes numb because your holding on to tight & your set up is wrong, it has nothing to do with vibrations. it happens on all bikes.
try adjusting your levers down to make them more comfortable and then look into getting a wrist support for the throttle and clutch side. it locks on the grips and then your wrist helps your hands hold on. it takes almost all pressure off the muscles that help you hold/ twist the throttle. its sort of a cheater. good for long trips but not for ripping around.
research done please feel free to donate to my research :)

DruAdams
06-08-2007, 10:13 PM
i dont agree on the holding on too tight, once i get to speed, i pretty much just rest my hand on the grip and it still gets tingly. But i will try the repositionsning the levers trick and see if that helps any.

midlifecrisis
06-26-2007, 01:39 AM
Generally speaking, one should never grip too tightly on the handlebars anyway, it lessens the feedback from the front end. This is very important in preventing a 'tankslapper', the harder you grip the worse the headshake becomes. additionally, strengthening your stomach muscles by not leaning on your hands while riding improves both your fitness and knowledge of what your front end is telling you. Nick Iaenatch has a fantastic book on techniques of sportriding. I'm new to the sportbike scene (ex-Harley guy) and I always ribbed my GSXR buddies about the uncomfortable riding position. But honestly, I'm more comfortable on my XB12R than I was on my forward control Harley with straight bars on risers. Riding is a sport (and sportbike riding is REALLY a sport) and as such it provides excercise. Keep your arms bent at all costs and you'll find more comfort and control. Happy to be a Buell convert.

XB12R Buelligan
06-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Are you short? I ask because I'm 6'2", so I'm tall enough to relax my elbows. That takes a lot of stress off your wrists and hands. Also, what tbramich was saying about a wrist support, I have a throttle boss brand support, and I think another one is called a throttle jocky. That may help you search.

DruAdams
07-01-2007, 04:21 AM
just got some new grips, Traction grips from buell. was like 17 bucks but its been raining too much to try them. parts guys at my local hd/buell dealler recommended them says everyone he rides with has switched to them cause they cut down on the vibrations. hope to get a ride in tomorrow to see if they help any

DruAdams
07-02-2007, 04:54 PM
well they work some, but still havent been out at highway speeds. I am thinking about ditching the Joe Rocket gloves and getting a pair of work gloves designed for use with impact tools, they have cushioned palms but not as extreme as the Joe Rocket gel riding gloves.

JohnnyLunchBox
07-04-2007, 05:09 AM
You could also try bar end weights/sliders such as those from www.HVMP.com ;)