PDA

View Full Version : Batt drain?

Miami
09-17-2014, 11:52 PM
My 2008 Buell Ulysses is draining the new battery (when I connected it new last week It did a small spark) What are the chances I could have a bad Stator or Charge Regulator? I don't really ride this bike that much. Since I installed a new battery last week is been sitting in the garage. So, I guess bike has some sort of consumption of energy somewhere. I really appreciate your help!

GregoXB
09-18-2014, 12:19 AM
Ensure all connections to the battery are flush and tight. Consider adding a spring washer and tightening a little extra with a small wrench. The vibrations of the bike can loosen the connections. Spray your terminals with a terminal protection spray too. I went through a new battery in less than 2 weeks because my positive terminal wasn't completely flush. It also melted the screw into the battery and I had to throw it out.

user_deleted
09-18-2014, 01:38 AM
i've replaced probably 60 or more batteries in XB models. a bike in good condition with no drain will do the following: connect negative first....then positive. this is for test purposes only. you will hear and see an extremely faint spark. if so the electronics are fine. if you hear a noticeable click and large spark it is usually the result from 1 or more of your relays being at fault and/or a faulty voltage regulator. a faulty regulator will drain the battery in approx. 3 days. other than this test ALWAYS....AND I MEAN ALWAYS....hook up the positive lead first then the negative cable when working on any car or cycle battery.

Miami
09-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys. I will do that test first time in the morning. But, LUNATICFRINGE: You are telling me to ALWAYS hook up the positive lead first, then the neg? Thanks again.

user_deleted
09-18-2014, 01:43 PM
But, LUNATICFRINGE: You are telling me to ALWAYS hook up the positive lead first, then the neg? Thanks again.
yes sir....correct. except to do the simple voltage draw test.

go cytocis
09-18-2014, 02:48 PM
What are the chances I could have a bad Stator or Charge Regulator?What's your mileage? If you've got more than 5000mi, I'd say there's a reasonable chance your VR could be bad.

On the XBs, the VR is poorly located very close to the exhaust header so that it gets a lot of heat. I replaced my VR 3x over 18,000mi until I spaced it out further away from the header to keep it cooler.