PDA

View Full Version : Primary burning witches

Unreliable
09-18-2014, 12:36 AM
Apparently there are witches in all of the primary oils, because it always smells like I'm burning them.

But first, Hi all! long time lurker, first time poster, as it were. I've always found answers in the annals of the forum, and thus haven't posted.

I'm working an 09 Uly and I'm ready to give up on this thing. For a quick recap, here's what's happened and what I've done:

On an epic cross country journey from Louisiana to northern CA (2k miles each way) I lost random screws [self fix] in the first few days, then the rear bearings [self fix], then the clutch [tow and stealership]. When I finally made it home, the clutch was slipping and jumpy. I pulled it apart and found strange goop all over the plates, that I later discovered was melted stator epoxy.

As a result I replaced the clutch plates, and the clutchbasket (I broke it, long story), the stator, and for good measure the VR. while I was at it I threw in a new clutch cable since my sheath was cracked and screw corroded. New primary oil and BADABING! or so I thought.

I had a knock that turned out to be the primary chain, but when I adjusted it I found no butter zone between knock and harpy. In fact, I left it where it screeched and knocked simultaneously. Further, at lower RPMs it was jumpy, it felt like being pushed in a shopping cart, but going 50. I did some reading, checked the sparkplugs, replaced a corroded back plug wire, which reduced the jumpyness but it still felt wrong.

Today I drained the primary oil after only about 100miles of use and its black and smells of burnt witches. I'm at a loss. My uneducated guess is a bad needle bearing or a bad primary chain. I'll split the case tonight after work to see what all is fried now, but I'd like to fix the cause before throwing more money at it.

for quick reference this is the new stuff:
Stock stator, stock voltage regulator, clutch basket (stock XB12), clutch plates (upgraded to energyone), clutch cable (stock), spark plugs (NGK), spark cables (Ironmachine)

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated. and again, Aloha.

Unreliable
09-18-2014, 02:09 AM
I didn't swap the needle bearing inner race from basket 1 to basket 2.....I'll add pics for the betterment of Buell kind in a bit

Theycallmecrash
09-18-2014, 04:11 AM
Fluid in primary?

go cytocis
09-18-2014, 05:40 AM
I pulled it apart and found strange goop all over the plates, that I later discovered was melted stator epoxy.How'd you determine it was melted stator epoxy?

Unreliable
09-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Here's photos galore, including the entire process of monkeying with my primary.

null (https://www.flickr.com/photos/110280169@N08/)

There's all the broken bits in picture form. I figured out the goop while perplexedly looking at the plates scratching my head and going what in the harp did the Hardly Dangerous dealer leave in there? Then I took off the alternator rotor and walla, burnt stator. After a few hours research and learning exactly how stators work, and how buells tend to eat them (so sorry 1125 guys, that stuff is brutal) I figured that a previous clutch-plate failure had generated enough heat to comprimise the integrity of the stator epoxy. The 1000miles of dessert that followed exacerbated the issue, and bit by scorchy bit the stator epoxy that was consistently submerged in oil continued to melt away and collect on the metal/fiber whisk that is the clutch.

everything broken since was my own fault....oops