PDA

View Full Version : New buell owner. any advice?

pantstain
09-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Hey guys. Just picked up a 2004 buell firebolt xb12r...16k miles. Was just curious if there's anything to look for in terms of common problems or best aftermarket stuff to look for. It already has aftermarket exhaust on it (not sure of brand, no markings on it). I'm ordering a set of pirelli Diablo tires for it as the ones on it are toast. I plan on doing brakes soon and I seen the ebc hh sintered pads are about the best for normal riding (or am I wrong)...any advice on best place to buy the pads? Btw I'm not new to bikes...been riding for a dozen years or so on cbrs and cruiser bikes. I really love this. I keep so far...always wanted a buell. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.null

pantstain
09-19-2014, 08:12 PM
http://imgur.com/jWdQtKe

Pic of bike

mrlogix
09-19-2014, 08:42 PM
welcome aboard, plenty of resources here for any questions you may have.

user_deleted
09-19-2014, 08:58 PM
welcome. be sure to run top quality fluids throughout and if you haven't yet due to bike being 10 years old i would lube both throttle cables and clutch cable, then adjust same and clutch pack. about a 15 minute procedure.
ebc HH pads are wonderful on these bikes. i sell approx. 50 sets a year to board members. fire me an email if you want a set. both front and rears are $82 including USA freight and $3 insurance. regards, john

scootertrash196@yahoo.com

stamen
09-19-2014, 09:09 PM
put loctite on your battery post screws... [up]

cartman
09-19-2014, 09:12 PM
When you change tires, check bearings, these are known to fail.

theMelvster6
09-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Warm up the bike proper before you ride...nothing is worse than have to fix a base gasket leak because you don't let the bike warm up enough.

Chicknstripn
09-20-2014, 12:14 AM
Welcome to the family. It's a bit dysfunctional but at least it's unique. As for advice... ... Unless you're down shifting don't blip the throttle just to blip the throttle. Blipping when the bike isn't warmed up or when it's sitting still seems to foul the plugs. Also don't be afraid to work on it yourself. It'll pay off in ways beyond your pocket book.

ReadyXB
09-20-2014, 12:52 AM
Glad to have you! It's always neat to see someone who has been riding metric bikes for a while that tries a Buell and loves it. The guys above have you covered, but ask away with any more questions.

-Readyxb (https://readyxb.wordpress.com/)

08herobolt
09-20-2014, 01:13 AM
My advice - ride it like you stole it. Enjoy the torque.

pantstain
09-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it. I'll definitely get those cables lubed and adjusted....adjusted suspension for my weight the other day. Not sure how to adjust the clutch pack? Didn't get a manual with it of course. Dont have much for tools atm...lost everything in my divorce this past year...but i have a lil bit and could always go to my dad's and have him help (3 hrs from me lol). I did notice the battery cables were a lil loose so I'll get some loctite for those. Still need to check the air filter and probably change the oil. Any advice on how to get to the air filter? Haven't even looked to see how to get to it...been workin

Italianjob74
09-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Its under what you would think the gas tank is. Four screws and the cover lifts off. Then its under the air box inside.:D

pantstain
09-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Alright cool. Thank you

glenn r
09-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Get factory service manual from al at american sport bike or order from Harley dealer ,parts available for couple more years don't be afraid to wrench on bike very simple the money you save by doing it yourself once without dealer labor rate will buy a lot o basic tools

pantstain
09-22-2014, 04:56 PM
So what kind of old do I run in this thing? Does it really have to be harley brand oil? And anyone got a link for a k&n air filter? What about spark plugs? Certain kind/brand?

pantstain
09-24-2014, 12:22 AM
Found filter and got oil figured out. Still curious on if these things are picky about what type of plugs to use in them

cartman
09-24-2014, 04:05 AM
Synthetic 20w50 blended for motorcycles. I think Amsoil is most popular, Belray, Klotz, and Mobile 1 are also good. I use the same oil in both the tank and the primary. Best place to buy a K&N is eBay, I tried to buy one at a local shop, nobody stocks anything for Buell in my area.

cartman
09-24-2014, 04:08 AM
Spark plugs, I would recommend having the replaced by someone that has done them before, they are really hard to get to, very easy to cross thread especially the rear cylinder.

djs2k2
09-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Stay out of jail, don't take candy from strangers, never trust a pirate, and an apple a day keeps the doctor away is bull **** a gun works better!

mrlogix
09-24-2014, 06:34 PM
so what the f#ck is wrong with pirates? :D Parlay?

holleywood
09-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Congratulations! I have an 04 XB12R too. These bikes are fun and fairly simple to work on. I read some horror stories but my bike has been a real champ. I am always working on matenance things like the engine oil, primary oil, filters, lubing cables, washing and polishing but the two screaming kids and the wife may keep me servicing the bike more than it should ever be serviced.
When I bought my bike it had a new pirelli diablo corse in the front and it didn't last for anything. I got maybe 2500 miles out of it. I have since swapped to Pirelli Angels in the front and rear. Both seem to grip the road excellently in the dry and wet. Can't give a track day review yet but on the street these tires rule. I've been on the interstate, country roads and twisty switchbacks in the mountains. The Angels worked just fine with plenty of grip and I ride a little aggressively. The long straits going to the mountains didn't square the tire off too bad either. I'm just getting tired of getting less than 4K from a rear tire. And, less than 3K from a front tire! (Mind you this was a failure due to a state inspection... the tire was worn to the wear bars in two different spots, not bald)
When you decide the engine needs a bit more pep and the sprockets don't swap for the belts like they do for a chain drive, check out replacing the engine primary sprocket for one from an xb9. You will lose some top end but the wheelie performance is high on the giggle factor.
If you don't have a right side airscoop you may want one. The RSS helps keep the engine running much cooler. You can get the part numbers and order one from a Harley dealership for about $60.
Have fun and enjoy!

djs2k2
09-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Holy crap Holleywood are you getting that published?:p

holleywood
09-26-2014, 12:02 AM
Published? Sorry, guess I get long winded... I miss the days when I could actually get out and ride.

Ryangt
09-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Congrats! I actually just purchased an 04 as well red with the gold, only had 3400 miles on it though. I have the complete manual as well if you need any help figuring out a particular issue.

pantstain
10-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Cool. Nice find. And thanks. I got tires on mine this weekend. Back one had cords showing all the way around (bought like that) and front was really really thin. Waiting on new headlights to come in. ... The ones on there are so dim you can't see hardly anything. It has 35 watt hid on it.... but they suck and only work half the time.