PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Buell XB12X going dead while riding.

dustinscottt
09-22-2014, 09:17 PM
My XB12X keeps going dead while riding down the road. If I let the bike sit, it will crank in 10 mins or so. I have cleaned the prongs on the ECM, Checked all ground connections, put Lucas fuel treatment and I don't know where to look. I have been told it could either be the ECM, the Coil pack or the Fuel Pump. Any help would be appreciated.

MnBueller
09-23-2014, 10:24 PM
A big part of diagnosing your problem is telling the forum what is happening when it dies. Mine was doing the same thing. Many hours cleaning connections, grounds, checking wire integrity, yada-yada. I finally bought a used ECM to see what would happen and Viola! Problem solved! Tell us if the check engine light is on when it dies, do the gauges sweep as they do when you first turn the key, will it crank but not start, that sort of thing. There are some smart cookies here (not me) and they will get you started with some good ideas. Good luck!

user_deleted
09-24-2014, 11:23 AM
^^^^^ what Mn said. you need to repeat the process and when your ulysses dies determine if it is lack of electrons flowing thru the system...lack of fuel......or lack of spark. if your CEL activated that's your primary clue as to what's going on.

jerryamcm
04-12-2015, 09:31 AM
I have a Ulyses XB12XT and when 2 years old the mystery started, sudden cut out and restart at random. The gauges flick and the engine management light comes on. The engine continues to run until it does it again may be seconds later or 10 minutes. The problem is it does not stay stopped so I can track down exactly what is happening. In 2013, still under warranty, the ECM was replaced and has been fine until now. I have just ordered a new ECM from America as the problem, has started again. Is there anywhere you can get the ECM repaired? has anyone found what causes the ECM to fail?

UMDterp13
04-12-2015, 11:11 AM
I'd start with steering head wires & make sure the key switch isn't binding or rubbing through up front.

Then I'd suspect VR, stator & rotor issue

That sounds electronic

07Bolt
04-12-2015, 11:10 PM
If its been running perfect for a while, and all of the sudden the bike just shuts off randomly at different times, its more than likely your regulator. Most all of the XB's were upgraded to a round-pin style regulator in 2008, from a flat-style pin.
Check your regulator plug down on the right side bottom to the left of your cam cover. It'll be stuffed behind the pulley cover to the middle. If the plug shows arcing or burning then your regulator is shot and your battery is slowly draining.
This is common on all pre 2008 XB models. All upgrades started in 2008, so 03-07 xb's usually have the recalls that were issued in 2008.