PDA

View Full Version : buying a uly, but it feels underpowered? help!

Advrider650
09-27-2014, 05:06 AM
I went today to look at a 2006 Ulysses with 20,000 miles and I'm not sure what to think. This is the first Buell I've ridden. From everything I've read everyone says that "its a torque monster" or "just roll on the gas and the front wheel will come up". That's not at all what this bike feels like. I went WOT a few times and it just didn't feel that fast. From first gear rolling off the line I opened it up all the way and the front didn't come close to lifting. The other thing I noticed is from idle it hesitates a bit when it wicked open quickly I ride a 2000 Honda XR650R daily and owned a '77 Sportster 1000cc. The Honda feels way quicker. The Buell has been down on the right side but the guy said it was a tip over in gravel. It has a few minor scratches on the frame but nothing that seams inconsistent with his story. He also said it hasn't been ridden much this summer and was out of gas when he started it today. It was warm when I got there (red flag!) but he said he went to fill it up and showed me a receipt for 3.7 gals of gas he put in. All in all the bike is clean and I don't hear any weird noises coming from it. ( a little ticking from the engine but nothing that sounds out of line for a harley!) I just don't know if it could just need a tune up or if theres is more hes not telling. Hes asking $3750 for it but Im sure I could get it for $3000-3500. I'm asking for any advise on if this sounds like a lemon or not. Thanks

d_adams
09-27-2014, 11:10 AM
From everything I've read everyone says that "its a torque monster" or "just roll on the gas and the front wheel will come up".

Ahh, nope. Maybe if you really nail the throttle in 1st or 2nd gear, but that's it. You'd also have to be sitting back on the seat to get it to do it. It would also depend on your weight. If you're 220 lbs like me, it ain't happening.

user_deleted
09-27-2014, 11:42 AM
^^^^ what dean said. don't know where you're located but i have 2 ulys for sale that are much better buys than the one you mentioned in your post. ownership history and style of usage is everything with these bikes.
go to "other buells for sale" on this site and look at 2007 ulysses and you'll see what i mean.

Advrider650
09-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Ok. good to know. What about the stutter/hesitation When I open the throttle quickly? Is that normal? I'm in Colorado.

user_deleted
09-27-2014, 12:35 PM
hat about the stutter/hesitation When I open the throttle quickly? Is that normal?

on the XB12's in stock configuration.....in alot of instances..... yes.
some patience, some wrenching, some minimal computer skills, and a few simple mods will resolve it but for most part XB's don't react well to abrupt throttle openings.......IMO.

UMDterp13
09-27-2014, 02:09 PM
Yes it's a massive amount of air that needs to enter to "GO". Doesn't happen that quick.

As for the wheelie part.
If it has bags on it, it should come up in 1st & 2nd easy. "Full tank of gas" may be most of your non wheelie issue.
It could also miss on downshift when rev matching, that's same as going WOT and having a hesitation.
I've had over 15 Ulysses from all years, they all do this.
Once you learn the bike you will see.
Also $3-35 is a very good price for only 20k miles. I've seen 50k+ miles fairly regularly in my searches.

go cytocis
09-27-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm in Colorado.That'll partly explain the bike's sluggishness. You're probably down ~10hp at that altitude.
I ride a 2000 Honda XR650RThat'll also explain some of your disappointment. As torquey as the XB is compared to say, a 600cc I4, nothing really compares to a thumper for immediate roll-on grunt.

Keep in mind the 12s are geared taller too. If you want more snap & dirt-appropriate gearing, you could go with primary gearing from a 9.

The Buell has been down on the right side but the guy said it was a tip over in gravel.I'd investigate a bit deeper with a tape measure to check for overall frame symmetry to verify the seller's story. Aluminum chassis' are very easily damaged, especially the XB's which is quite exposed.

UMDterp13
09-27-2014, 07:42 PM
They are double walled, takes quite a bit to get through them. I've seen both sides ground flat and bike still retains fuel fine.

Sounds like a good deal to me, where's the link?

Advrider650
09-28-2014, 12:29 AM
The dings on the frame are very shallow. mostly through the paint. He said there was a rock that hit right there and thats what it looks like to me. Your right about the XR torque, but honestly I can't pull the front on that by just rolling on the gas. I do have a 15t counter and it. when I switch to the 13...well thats a different story! I'm thinking that it sounds like the bike might just need a tune up and a less pussy rider! heres the link http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4655148662.html

UMDterp13
09-28-2014, 12:49 AM
Oh... Well: that's a pretty good ding in the frame. It wouldn't bother me... BUT I know most people would be bothered. That won't affect anything tho.
Insurance would total that bike :)

Can also tell you there's about $400 in extra stuff there at fair used value.
So consider that against the price.
Black is best color & it also has the cool tuono mirrors!
With the cases that's a good deal.

If you can talk him down, more power to ya but looks fair to me. They are ready to sell with that price.

Let us know! Buells are wonderful bikes, Ulysses are the best!

DualSportDad
09-28-2014, 02:51 AM
My 06 buell will pull the wheel in 2nd by just rolling on the throttle.

Keep in mind it has a few miles on it and might need a o2 sensor. I find that the single wire o2 in these bikes are good to about 15-20k. But who knows maybe you didn't do it right or rolled on too slow? Get to 2,000 rpm and quickly roll the throttle and she should come up.

buellerchris
09-29-2014, 01:08 AM
I had a 2006 Uly with 42,000 miles and it would power wheelie fine shifting into 2nd and going WOT. I always rode with just the top case on and at the time weighed about 240lbs (heavy lifting days).

Advrider650
09-29-2014, 02:13 AM
Well guys I am the proud new owner of a Uly! Talked him down to $3250. Riding home on the freeway it started to clear out some and was pulling a lot harder( got it up to 110). Still doesn't want to pull the wheel but gets up and scoots better. I'm thinking clean the air filter, MAF (do these bikes have a maf? I have much to learn.) put some new plugs in it and run some sea foam through it and I'll bet it will run just fine. Best part is I got home and pulled the seat and found the heated grips were just unplugged. Plugged them back in and they work great!!! Thanks to all of you for the help and advice. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get to my shop.

DualSportDad
09-29-2014, 02:45 AM
good job. no MAF, MAP etc. some things i found along my way... if the fuel pump is really loud when it primes, replace it. while there do the o2 sensor as well. change the plugs to.

here's a video of a loud pump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQUcyZJJ9lk&list=UUroCETMgj19p-3A5xwLxn3A

and here's one after it was replaced. the old one **** out not much longer after the first video i posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHFICyAVdBQ&list=UUroCETMgj19p-3A5xwLxn3A

Tray3
09-29-2014, 03:05 AM
Not that it matters, but I also have recently bought 2006 xb12x with 5000 miles, bone stock. It too, would not pull the front wheel off the ground with just throttle alone. It took clutch dumping , and sitting further back on the seat. Well, that just would not do for me. Taking the advice of the experts on this board, the modifications have started. K&N filter( have not done air box mod or catch can) for I can not see how bottom end torque can improve from that, torque hammer exhust from 5-0dro.com , and ecm map that came with the pipe, and wah- la. I am 260 and if hug the airbox cover the nose stays down, but if i move my big rear closer to the rear tire , well at wot 1st and 2nd gear up up and away. I think if you look into these mods and have a some jack to put into it, you will like,the results. I am taking it one more step, by changing primary gear and chain to xb9. It is on the way. Should have it installed next week. I was impressed of the threads about this topic and improvements, some say it becomes a (wheelie monster), I hope so,lol. There are many good threads about pipe upgrades here, I just like,the dyno results,from the torque hammer and it really looks good under the bike.