PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if you guys could help?

supersayin11178
04-18-2009, 11:44 AM
First time poster here. Thanks in advanced for the help... Just bought a 04 Buell Blast. It had just over 1000 miles on it. First bike, not much mechanical no how. I have put on about 150 miles so far. My dilema is this morning I was on my way to work, when I noticed my bike kinda sputtering. It eventually died. While on the side of the road I was able to start it right up. Got back on the rode for about a mile before it did it again. Once again it started up. Got running one more time, but same thing. This time I put the valve on reserve because it was acting like it was outta gas. It seemed to do fine all the way to work. My concern of course is it doing it again. Could it possible trash in the tank, or something more serious. I am already sinking money in on it for tires. Just wondering. I have scoured the posts and noticed on guy had kinda the similar problem, but not quit the same. Thanks again guys. By the way it had only 108 miles on it when it did it. The only thing i can think of is instead of heading to the gas station i used my gas in the can at home, i recently put gas in the can so i know the gas isn't dirty, but could it be the octane? It was the lowest rating... I hope that is all it is.[confused]

xtremelow
04-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Could be some residue was inside the gas can contaminating the fresh gas, octane level may have been a factor.

If it could have been the gas I would say to check your spark plug to make sure you didn't foul it out.

I would put some 93 octane in the bike drive it around and see if the problem continues. If it does check your plug wire to make sure the connection is good and spend the $5 for a new plug.

supersayin11178
04-18-2009, 01:24 PM
I appreciate your speedy reply. I just got from outside looking at the bike. I checked what connections i could find. I checked the plug wire it is securely on. All fuses look good, battery is on good and snug. I started it. After about 3 min i was able to produce the same thing. I would rev it up, not to high. But if i maintained the rev it would start to sputter, and it eventually stalled. But this time it took alittle working with it to get it to start. When i got it started I switched the valve to reserve, and within 30 seconds it started acting right. But i didn't want to keep the engine running since it is air cooled, and i am at work, and it is also raining. Also, could the really wet weather have something to do with it too?

supersayin11178
04-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks. Last night i filled it up with Good gas. It took 2.3 gallons of gas, so maybe just maybe it was actually running outta gas. I just was dumbfounded because i only had 112 total miles on the thing. I was estimating atleast 160 miles on the tank of gas. But it still is cheaper than the truck i had before. After i filled up, it is amazing how it started to act right. Thanks for all the suggestion xtremelow. I am glad i joined this forum.

rhpaw
04-19-2009, 08:12 PM
I ride the gas hard on my blast, and I seem to need reserve at about 105.

If I was on the highway and pussyfooting, I'm sure I could get some real miles on the tank. In traffic and hitting the revlimiter, your mileage will probably be much more like this.