PDA

View Full Version : XB9SX - Exhaust, Powerizer, Air Filter

Alex XB
10-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Hi all

I was hoping somebody could help me a little..

I've had my XB9 for a while now (UK) - it's standard other than a full Micron Serpentine exhaust (loud, but I now have custom DB Killers fitted which take the edge off). I obviously also need to:

1) Fit a fuel commander - I was going to go for a Remus Powerizer; good choice?

2) Fit either a K&N or Pipercross air filter. Which is best (or are they about the same), and is it change and fit or do I need to alter anything else..?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

08herobolt
10-06-2014, 11:11 PM
I would tune your own ecm or order one from EBR. Fuel commanders, in my opinion, don't allow for the flexibility and customization like a map. I can't speak to Pipercross, but for the most part all the filters are pretty much the same (K&N, Uni, etc.).

Alex XB
10-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Ok - understood. Thanks for the comments - good to know I have other ECM options, especially from EBR. I'm probably thinking a couple of years behind perhaps

WIGGLE2
10-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Fuel commanders, in my opinion, don't allow for the flexibility and customization like a map.
DynoJet tried it...pulled it off the market. Wiseco tried it...quit selling shortly thereafter. I'm guessing OP is off-shore...UK perhaps? (Pipercross is a big filter in UK like K&N is here). At any rate, an EBR ECM would be a decent running 'generic' map for you. Ideally a custom tune, but that isn't an 'easy' undertaking done correctly. Your post doesn't spec a year....make sure you get that right.

Alex XB
10-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Ok - I'm running an '05 XB9SX ('04 build though).

WIGGLE2
10-08-2014, 01:54 AM
OK...that's the second gen of Buells EFI known as DDFI2. 'Easier' to tune than DDFI3 perhaps. But anyhow.....IF you do go EBR for an ECM, make sure you spec the proper year, that's all. Quite honestly though, IMO, save your money and run your 'Race Only' ECM.

UMDterp13
10-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Yea run a race only / EBR ECM. You can find them all over. Just need a xb9 one 03-07

Alex XB
10-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks a million - that all makes perfect sense..

So from an 83hp bike, roughly what can I expect in power gain terms with this route? 100?

Apart from much smoother power delivery etc. etc.

WIGGLE2
10-09-2014, 08:16 PM
No...In reality you had 71-75 (?) Whp in showroom stock condition. (I dyno'd mine twice, on (2) different DynoJet dynos....I couldn't believe that 73.8 hp was correct on the first one. Pulled 74.5 on the 2nd). Trust me...it was a rude awakening as I thought it'd be around 90 based on the ASB Shootout numbers. IF you gain 10% from YOUR baseline, consider yourself doing good. But hell....it's STILL a LOT of fun, regardless! :)

Alex XB
10-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Wow. I love it regardless - dare to be different, and corner like a train..

Alex XB
10-10-2014, 10:12 AM
This is the 'race only' one on Erik Buell Racing for my year @ $305:

http://www.erikbuellracing.com/store/models/xb9/xb9-model-ddfi-2-preprogrammed-ecm.html

It also says that replacing the ECM requires zeroing of the TPS (throttle position sensor) via Digital Tech (at your local dealer) - is that difficult?

WIGGLE2
10-10-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm no expert....never touched ECMspy to date....but you can get the cable off EBay pretty cheap. Now....I THINK you can reset TPS on an EBR with ECMSpy. I DON'T think you can do anything else though without ruining it. (NOR would you want to?!). Whenever you pull an ECM...stock, Race-Only or an EBR, it requires a TPS reset.