PDA

View Full Version : TPS Questgion on 06 XB-12X

Tray3
10-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Ok, I know I about to show everyone how stupid I am for this question, however I am prepared to take the potential scornful replies, just so I can get educated. Can some one tell me what the TPS reset does to the ecm?does it only effect idle? My reason for asking is I had someone remap my ecm with ecmspy, for I was to dumb to figure it out myself, about 4 months ago. At the time they did tps reset and I did not have the air box mod done yet, just K&N filter and torque hammer muffler.. I have read if you do the air box modification you need to do this step again. Well, last night I did the mod without the tps reset. I noticed improvement in the coughing at take off, and no more jerking at 2000 to 2500 rpm steadier than I had before, it was actually a lot smoother in normal riding. However, when I did wide open throttle in all gears I felt a gain in the bottom end from 1500 to 3500, but then I felt a small bog from 3500 to 4500, and then it picked back up from 4500 to the rev limiter. Could the TPS reset have anything to do with this at all, or does mean the I need to have map re tweaked? I do think the air box mod did help the bike a little, even with the slight bog. It still lift front tire in 3 gears.

user_deleted
10-09-2014, 07:52 PM
I have read if you do the air box modification you need to do this step again.

i cannot fathom why you would have to. keep in mind that on all fuel injected bikes and every other EFI vehicle the tps is set at the factory and seldom if ever touched after that.
to the best of my knowledge the tps setting tells your ecm what the exact position of the throttle air valve is at any throttle position the ecm sees. it is not a "cure-all" for other ailments. don't know about other board members but after i do one i ride the bike gently in "learn mode" which is avoiding full throttle, prolonged idle, and long steep hills.

50dro
10-09-2014, 08:50 PM
does mean the I need to have map re tweaked?

No. Per what Twin has told us for all the Torque Hammer Exhausts that we have sold, airbox mods don't make enough difference to warrant different maps.

Per what lunatic said, I would attribute it more to the learn sequence than the TPS reset. That being said, as easy as it is to do a reset, I make sure I do it when I change things and would recommend it to be done especially in cases like yours where checking it in the future may be difficult.

Tray3
10-10-2014, 05:51 AM
How long should I give the "learn mode" to get smart? I assume that is riding like a police car is closely following. Is it possible I have cut to much of the airbox restriction out, for it to bog at mid rpm's? When I say bog, it is more like a brief lag. Thanks, Lunatic and 50dro for your input and advice.

UMDterp13
10-10-2014, 11:07 AM
It's probably the map. It's why myself and a few others just recommend spending the money on a race or EBR ECM.

Not only is that safer for people who have no clue, but it leaves your stock ECM incase of issue down the road.

I have yet to come across 2 bikes that act the same way.

Learn mode is just riding easy for about 30min. Highway if possible around 3,000rpm. With a run through the revs at some point.