PDA

View Full Version : Used Blast - Starting Issues

reddog093
04-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey guys. I just picked up my first bike, a Blast, yesterday. When we picked up the bike, the original owner had started it up, but forgot to switch the fuel valve on. The bike has been having starting issues ever since. My uncle got the bike working yesterday, with some tweaking/cleaning and starter spray. He took it for a quick ride and it seemed fine. I tried to start it up today and had no luck. I can get it to start by using the spray - directed into the carb. THe bike ran fine for about 5 minutes today. Eventually, after stalling out a few times (It's my 1st bike and I've been practicing with the clutch), I have to use the spray again to start it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong? Is more detail needed?

rhpaw
04-19-2009, 07:47 PM
You might want to give the carb a nice cleaning and then run some MMO/ techron/ majic juice through the tank once.
Check the Boot from carb to head. they crack and turn the bike into a finiky bitch on start and run (depending on size of crack.

Also, when I first got my blast I had a horrible time starting it rightr. The bike was jetted badly for the pipe.

I did the above and a rejet advised by EZblast and now my bike is dead nuts reliable.

(running it out of gas from the petcock shouldn't have done anything.. the bike is too simple for that.)

reddog093
04-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Thank you for the advice. It's been raining for a while here in NY. I've put in some fresh gas and some carb cleaner / octane booster additives. Once the rain stops I'm going to try and get this thing running again and get the new fuel running through the engine. I've have to inspect the Boot when things clear up as well. Thanks!

ezblast
04-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Dump the old fuel, clean the low jet. Check your boot.
EZ

reddog093
04-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks. I've been googling for the last hour to figure out what a boot is. I think I figured it out :). My uncle will be coming down in about a week to show me how to take the Blast apart and how to clean it. I've done a lot with electronics/computers, but never worked on a bike before.

Judging from the other posts on "sputtering out", it seems like you are probably right. I got the bike starting again with the starter spray and kept it running for about a minute with the new fuel & additives. The bike was fighting to die, although when it slowly came down to sputtering out I can keep it alive by maxing out the throttle. Then it would run fine for a few seconds and back to trying to die. A lot of popping noises.

From what I think may be the boot (2 O-Ring type clips clamped on it?), there is vapor coming out of it. I took the following with my camera phone when I got off the bike: (http://experimental-room.com/myvideo/bike.mp4).

I'd really like to learn about the bike, so I may wait a week for my uncle to show me, rather than take the Blast to my local shop. I'm currently googling about the jets :)

reddog093
04-22-2009, 03:07 AM
Based on what I've been researching, especially with topics on this site and badweb, it seems like it will probably be an issue with the boot. I will see if I can take it apart myself in the next few days to check. If this does need replacing, where can I purchase an affordable replacement? I hadn't seen much on ebay / froogal. Is this something I should go to my local Harley store for, or are boots somewhat generic/universal?

ridendude
04-22-2009, 03:21 AM
The 'boot' is the rubber interface between the intake manifold and the carburetor. The rubber is prone to drying out and cracking occasionally with heat and vibration. Visually inspect it and look for cracks, splits and other general signs of decay.
From your description of the way it's running, it sounds like it has sat for a while and the carb is gummed up. The cleaner and fresh fuel may help, but more than likely, you'll need to dissassemble the carb and give it a good cleaning.
Hope that helps.;)
ps: try not to use starting fluid. It strips the oil out of the top end and shortens the life of your motor...

reddog093
04-23-2009, 02:25 AM
It seems like the carb had been pushed out of the boot. I've put it back in and tightened the ring clamps back onto it. I have to wait until tomorrow to test it, since we a bit of a storm here in NY. I'm hoping it's that easy. :p The suspense!

dog
04-23-2009, 03:56 PM
reddog where are u in ny im in mtvernon email me at hindogg@aol.com

reddog093
04-24-2009, 01:37 AM
Thank you guys so much!

It was that easy! Bike runs like a champ! Got a good 2 solid hours of practice in today on some back roads. I'm still getting used to working the clutch while on an incline, as well as trying to get the bike into neutral. It seems like a lot of times a gentle push from 1st still tends to skip past neutral, which can be a little frustrating at stops. I'm still on backroads though while I learn. All in all, today was an awesome day :)

Stevenc150
04-24-2009, 03:26 AM
I'm still getting used to working the clutch while on an incline...
I find it easiest on any incline to have it in 1st, clutch pulled, standing with left foot to balance bike & right foot up on the foot brake.

reddog093
04-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. I've pretty much been doing that, trying to imitate a "heel & toe" method on a car to prevent the bike from rolling back. I live in a very hilly area, so I'll have plenty of practice :)

statxyz
06-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Hey redddog,
Where you located? Long Island here(deer park) Maybe we can go for a ride sometime.

Richhttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/269_20090614183117_L.jpg

Stevenc150
06-15-2009, 02:43 AM
(Posting for Statxyz)

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/269_20090614183117_L.jpg

reddog093
06-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I'll be down as long as we get some decent weather!! Work is pretty busy and I'm hoping to join my uncle for Sunday rides, but if we can get a Saturday at some point I'll try.

I'm from Yonkers.