PDA

View Full Version : Uly cranked, then SNAP

davew_tx
10-14-2014, 08:48 PM
bone stock Uly, 2007, 20,000 easy miles. No problems leading up to this moment.

turned key on, fuel pump primes and dash lights up.
Wait for red lights to go out.
As always to avoid fouled plugs, just hit starter button without throttle inputs.
the starter was getting going, bumped up against the compression, and groaned to a stop, then SNAP.
it usually gets past the compression and thump thumps to life.

Sounded like electrical, of course.
No dash lights anymore, or anything when key turned.

Battery is 13V and on a trickle. It is good.
all fuses in box are good.
I swapped around the relays, no better.

Any ideas?

Love this bike.

Dave

user_deleted
10-14-2014, 09:43 PM
dave: keep in mind it is a fraction of a second....but when one piston bumps up against compression during initial start-up the amp load on the starting system and battery is tremendous. check your battery cables at both ends. just sounds like a bad connection which is typically at the battery posts.

nicholas900
10-14-2014, 09:47 PM
Did you check the big 30 fuse outside the fuse box? Maybe that was the snap you heard?

davew_tx
10-14-2014, 09:57 PM
both great suggestions.
I didn't see the 30 amp, but will check.
And the cables ends.
I checked the posts, and they are clean and dry.

jimijeans
10-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Hey There, once Checking and done with first part. See if neutral light is on pull in Clutch With Key Switch Off . Roll in Neutral first. Then Roll in 1st Gear letting out Clutch Lever. Carefull please.
Possible Stuck Starter. Possible Loose Connection. Possible Safety Switch on Clutch Lever Purch. If you ByPass the Clutch Safety Switch
Please Put the Rear Of the Bike Level Up on a Pitt Stand.OR at Least Make sure you are Sitting on the Bike so as to control it.You Can Always Test The Starter on the Bike ONLY FOR TESTING by unplugging the Starter at the source and running an Aux., wire at LEAST 14/ guage with at least a 20/ Amp fuse inbetween to see if it will Turn over the Engine.
Key Switch OFF.! NEVER do that without Fused Protection or you can fry many areas of wiring.Touch it with Gloves on to the Battery Positive just to see if the Starter Will turn over.If it will not Turn over then go in a different direction for safety reasons. Be Safe with that area of work. Jimi*

davew_tx
10-15-2014, 04:27 PM
so, I looked and can't find an external 30amp fuse??
is it under the seat or tank cover or ??

I need to look at the starter area also,
Can't see starter and wires to it easily, so will dig in a bit.

Also, all this is reminding me of an odor, like plastic burning, so I bet there is a short circuit on a wire to a hot item.

@Jimi- I'll try to do that after I look in the first things more thoroughly.

Dave

EricZ
10-15-2014, 04:50 PM
The 30A fuse is in the fuse box with the rest of them on the Uly. The Firebolts are the only models with a separate location for the 30A fuse.

nicholas900
10-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks for clearing that up EZ. I have a fire bolt, just ASSumed they all had a seperate 30a fuse. Sorry if you were digging all over for it Dave.

user_deleted
10-16-2014, 01:34 PM
dave: disconnect the negative battery cable and be certain cable end is shielded from batt terminal. then check your positive cable. trace it down from batt terminal to starter. the "burning plastic" smell you described is always caused by either dead-cell battery straining to try and turn the motor over....loose battery cable at starter end...or wire chafing. are you absolutely certain your battery is up to snuff? to assure that it is give it a strong 10 amp charge for approx. 20 minutes then immediately have it load tested.

davew_tx
10-16-2014, 03:52 PM
the smell is wafting up after a ride. I take the seat off, and smell and it is faint, and not visible.
Never thought much of it. Kind of a hot smell with a hint of plastic. My fan still operates.

I need to get some time and look at it closely and close this topic while everyone is being helpful.

I might put a big charger on the battery and see if any lights will come on.
I would think that measuring 13V on the battery would at least light up some dash lights right?
It is just D E A D dead.
I wiggled key around also. no signs of life.

MnBueller
10-25-2014, 06:20 PM
I had a similar problem, mine would start fine and then next time I would get the "Dead Battery" click. Finally tracked it down to the positive cable at the starter. Got my size XL hands in there and gave it a wiggle, and it wiggled! When I peeled the rubber boot back I discovered the nut holding the cable to the post wasn't loose, it was gone altogether! Found a replacement with a lock washer, took me a good 1/2 hour to get it on there, and now it works beee-you-teee-full!

davew_tx
10-27-2014, 03:27 PM
got a chance to look at it on Saturday.

pulled windshield, and was ready to start tracing wires and troubleshooting.

turned key, dash was on. It started up.

I have been turning key a few times over the last week, and dead dash.

I did nothing to fix it.

I did put it back on the battery tender.

I wonder if my battery is dying.