PDA

View Full Version : EBR 1190SX - KTM Super Duke 1390 Shootout

Hughlysses
10-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Complete with video:

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/brutish-v-twin-streetfighter-comparo-part-3-2014-ebr-1190sx-vs-2014-ktm-1290-super-duke-r-video

Enemy Zero
10-18-2014, 05:12 PM
[up]

djs2k2
10-18-2014, 05:15 PM
[down] EBR is better!

thrstrmech
10-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Erik Buell Racing might be a little late to the Streetfighter party (a category Buell arguably created)

Really...I laugh at that, not late at all, everyone else is trying to copy it

GregoXB
10-19-2014, 09:20 AM
Another review nit picking the EBR while the bike it is compared against is left relatively untouched.

go cytocis
10-19-2014, 03:50 PM
No shame in coming second to a KTM, never mind one that's packing an extra 100cc's!

mrlogix
10-19-2014, 05:35 PM
No shame in coming second to a KTM, never mind one that's packing an extra 100cc's!

I agree. Yes a lot of us expected more from EBR, but as a New company (different business partners, new engineers, etc., etc.) for the first release of a model, they done pretty good considering that the comparison bike is what the testing publication called "their top pick of the class". A few gradual improvements/refinements can put it on top of it's class. That's a pretty strong statement in the industry. My only advise would be, Don't stop now. :D

Hughlysses
10-19-2014, 06:48 PM
I made this comparison chart a while back for a discussion thread at ADVrider. The price for the SX has been updated to reflect the $2k discount. The data all comes from Cycle World tests of these bikes.

The data for the SX is based on Cycle World's test of the RX since they haven't done a full test on an SX yet. According to EBR, the RX and SX are basically identical except for the fairing and handlebars. I'd guess the SX might lose a little in the quarter mile and on top speed compared to the RX as the speed is enough for the lack of a fairing to come into play, but this chart should be reasonably close.

Note the KTM had nearly a 10 HP deficit in power compared to the EBR based on their data while Motorcyclist claimed only a 5 HP difference. Also notice Motorcyclist did not post any other "hard" comparisons except for the dyno chart.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/whodom/NakedBikeChart_updated_zps576c52f0.jpg

I suspect the SX would whip the KTM if they did a detailed numbers comparison.

nicholas900
10-19-2014, 08:40 PM
My favorite quote " the Buell wins in the handling department, the Austrian (KTM) machine feels almost truckish by comparison".

DrogeN Omen
10-19-2014, 08:53 PM
KTM might kick the the SX in a drag race, but on a circuit the SX would probably kick the KTM's ass.

JWoody
10-19-2014, 10:38 PM
This ^^ I wanna see a camparo with the 2015 RC8 v RX...

-J[cool]

DrogeN Omen
10-21-2014, 12:55 AM
basically i see it as EBR kicks KTM's ass in AMA Pro series.

EBR is in the WSBK and KTM is not.

there fore EBR wins.

these dyno comparisons mean nothing cause the KTM has an extra 100cc..

drop the KTM 100cc's to make it a 1190 and see if it competes with he EBR...!

Bullettooth023
10-22-2014, 12:43 AM
honestly I would go with the KTM just for the fact that I think it looks better than the SX. I've always liked KTM's radical angular styling. besides that I wouldn't mind owning either one. Both are great machines regardless.

nicholas900
10-22-2014, 01:12 AM
drop the KTM 100cc's to make it a 1190 and see if it competes withÂ* he EBR...!

I dunno. They are so close in power. I really doubt either would seem "slow" in the real world. Any bike I've ridden with power like that is more about restraint ha ha.

I personally think the EBR looks much better, but that's objective.

I saw this video (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=video&cd=2&ved=0CCAQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dbwu 9pqh2Z8I&ei=mQFHVLCpC4q7ggTRsYKoCw&usg=AFQjCNGhpW9GEjMQUmZRluhPxtoz9U2K_w&sig2=ko43BYVzuIQH3Pqfuo-3_g) on the RX. Probably seen it already. But at the 2:00 minute mark I agree with what he says in regards yo the comparison to a Panigale in terms of HP.

heagachongoose
10-22-2014, 04:26 AM
I thought it was a very good comparison for the most part. Both bikes are awesome in their own right. Very honest and I appreciate that. But I almost feel as if it was comparing apples to oranges? I mean the SX is literally just an RX with no fairings and bars. The comparo even says that. The RX is a factory streetable RACEBIKE, essentialy in the same manner, so is the SX. The duke is purely a refined streetbike with a big ass engine. Of course its going to have more power.

Things the EBR was down on according to motorcycle.com:

Transmission/Clutch:
EBR 87.5%
KTM 93.8%

- I personally prefer a transmission that I have to push into gear and that I can feel as it drops through the gears. Not for everbody. Relative judgement.

Brakes:
EBR 90.0%
KTM 96.3%

- Once again, apples to oranges. The ZTL system performs and feels much differently than the dual disk standard of today. In my experience the ZTL system has a much more linear feel and is proportional to the applied force of the lever whereas your traditional dual rotor setup does not respond the same way. One again, relative judgement.

Suspension:
EBR 91.3%
KTM 96.3%

- Not positive what they were going off of here but if I had to guess they were referring to streetability and comfort. Two things I personally give zero ****s about on a racebike like an EBR (or any bike I own for that matter, I ride to have fun not sit in a recliner). Just happens to be one thing the superduke is designed for, comfortable streetability. Relative.

Technologies:
EBR 87.5%
KTM 96.3%

- EBR has no ABS or any of the other bells and whistles besides TC (which the 1190 TC system is impressive but still). More things I give no ****s about. Some people do though. These will be available through EBR soon. KTM gets this one fair and square.

Ergonomics/Comfort:
EBR 87.5%
KTM 95.0%

- One again. Racebike with high bars vs refined streetbike?????? Relative.

Quality, Fit & Finish:
EBR 82.5%
KTM 92.5%

-K TM wins fair and square. EBR is honestly a little sub-par in this category. But when you take into account the fact that a first year MASS production bike from a miniscule company in podunk wisconsin is even being compared to an internationally renowned, refined, proven (against some if not all of the worlds best most modern bikes I might add) and produced from one of many of a corporate giant's superfactories; it doesnt seem too bad. KTM +1 here.

Cool Factor:
EBR 93.8%
KTM 92.5%

-DAMN RIGHT ITS COOL

And honestly this review only made me more impressed and interested in the SX. I really appreciate the rawness of the EBR1190 series. It's one thing that is quickly disapearing in motorcycling today. The KTM is a very nice bike and I would love to have one. But the 1190 would be in my garage before the duke in a heartbeat.

nicholas900
10-22-2014, 10:47 PM
I really appreciate the rawness of the EBR1190 series. It's one thing that is quickly disapearing in motorcycling today.

[up]. I like the raw nature myself. Honestly that's why I don't have any interest in Jap bikes. Too smooth and refined=boring.

konarider94
10-22-2014, 11:53 PM
i think the superduke looks amazing. while the ebr has a tiny bit in top end power im sure the increase in torque on the ktm would be most noticable and make it feel more powerful. Both awesome bikes im sure you cant go wrong. I think id have to pick the superduke especially because of the more comfortable seating position.