PDA

View Full Version : Got the 1190sx itch.... real world rider reports?

nicholas900
10-21-2014, 11:50 PM
You guys with one, how do you like it all in all ? I really like the looks and most of the reports online.
The seat is about an inch higher than I would like, but think I could adjust. I have a 31" inseam. Weather is out of the question right now for a test ride. What you think about it?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to trade in my Diavel this spring. Still a bit concerned about the replacement parts and whether or not EBR will stay in business, and develop a parts network even close to what HD did for Buell? I know there isn't much HD love here, but it is a huge corporation and they STILL supply parts for us, even after the bikes have been out of production for years.....

Am I silly for thinking about this stuff?

Theycallmecrash
10-22-2014, 12:14 AM
I love my SX, and my girl is 5' 7" ish and she rides it just fine. The seating is actually very comfortable. You better like to go fast, cause it hates slow.

I dont think they are gonna under anytime soon. Worst case 10 years from now it doesnt work out, and we are in the same spot we are with our current Buells.

And parts, may be difficult now, but at least they are direct from EBR to our dealer.

nicholas900
10-22-2014, 12:41 AM
I hear ya. I've never had issues w seat height. Think I'd be ok. I set the height of my cafe xb at 31.5 and its a wide seat, it's perfect for me. I'm 5'10" so I should be fine.

I think know what you mean about going slow. Not much different than a Ducati. Ain't happy under 3k or so. Lots of 1st gear and clutching around town in traffic. No worries adjusting to that. Kinda like it actually.

Any info on the TC? Is it effective? The more I look at the bike the more everything looks perfect to me. I might even do this real soon. Got a serious itch.

UMDterp13
10-22-2014, 12:51 AM
Your diavel is worth more this year than it will be next year... Just saying.
Sell it & get the EBR.

3 years in & most are saying the RX is on par with other V twins at that level... That says a lot. Even if you look at it as 1125 starting it in 2008, it's less than 10 years to get where Ducati & KTM are. Just imagine another 10 years & more electronics engineers defecting from Ducati to EBR...

Plus your right ankle won't smell or feel like you grilled something when you get off the EBR.

But alas, everyone should demo or ride for themselves over asking others. No one is same as you. "Your a$$ & back can't tell what seating position is right for me"

Theycallmecrash
10-22-2014, 12:59 AM
I cant say ive put the TC through its paces, im sure they have it dialed in 10 and under. For my girl she runs it 8-10, I run 3 or off. It saved her once in a gravel corner so I know it does something. Anything 15 to 20 is too invasive, they call it "traction control" but at those levels its a power limiter, and it doesnt act right, sluggish, popping, and stalling with quick maneuvers. Not a lot but enough to be annoying. It will do wheelies at 100mphs. .. not to, but at. Snap the throttle and it comes right up

d_adams
10-22-2014, 01:39 AM
I forget which mc mag did the track day with the 1190 rx and the 1199 panigale, but it was off all of .015 seconds for lap times. The sx has the same motor and gearing, so it's gotta be a hoot to ride. I'm only worried about looping it and crashing hard because it's just so damn fast. The front end comes up so easily and it's a unbelieveable rush for acceleration. These bikes are rockets on wheels, they handle very well (much better than an xb) and are rock solid stable at speed. Any speed. I've only been up to 150+ a few times, but it's just as good there as it is at 70 mph. The sx won't be as happy above 130 or so without the wind protection of the rx.

Is it worth it? Yup.

heagachongoose
10-22-2014, 02:01 AM
God dammit guys. [sad]

....anyone want to buy a kidney?

...or two lol

But I say just go for it man. Life is too short to not take a chance every now and then. Get the EBR. Something tells me you'll thank yourself later.

Theycallmecrash
10-22-2014, 02:25 AM
Like I was told, just do it! Im lucky enough to get the laguna blue, and Im living it. And 130+ even with wind its super stable. Even with the front wheel in the air at 100

user_deleted
10-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Still a bit concerned about the replacement parts and whether or not EBR will stay in business, and develop a parts network even close to what HD did for Buell?

highly unlikely buell "going out of business" on this deal. they are minority owned by hero motors which is....drum roll please....the largest motorcycle manufacturer in the world. their annual gross cycle sales revenue is larger than even polaris total revenue which was approx. $5.2 billion for the 2013 year. THAT is some serious sales. the hero/buell relationship is absolutely nothing like the H-D/buell relationship was. as long as buell expands their product line somewhat, stays price-conscious of what their competition is doing, sets up substantial dealer network and does it soon, and doesn't allow reliability to tarnish their new product image they will be fine. what is a daunting task for buell to overcome right now is their perceived unreliability and "problem-child" reputation stemming from the XB days.....rightfully deserved or not. sending a demo bike with a faulty front rotor and sub-standard brake pads to cycle world magazine for the first full-blown test and evaluation did NOT help their rep. hero motors won't tolerate anymore of that nonsense which i attribute to growing pains. i think ebr will be just fine and has a bright future ahead of them.

mrlogix
10-22-2014, 03:36 PM
F#ck, I really like the 1125R styling, but want 1190RX power. Have done a review of the 1190 big bore kit and the changes in head design. cams, fuel injection to try to achieve this. There really is a lot of differences between them. Subtle, but enough to make it economically unfeasible. Even considering finding a RX engine and swapping it, but so much more has to change to do it right ( heads, cams, added fuel injectors, wiring harness, etc., etc.). Getting ready to buy another vehicle (truck). Sooo, I guess I'll just wait until I have paid the truck off for about 2 years and then get a loan and bite the bullet and buy an 1190RX. Should have all the kinks worked out by then and the support structure in place by then. Until then I'll just have to be happy with small upgrades to the 1125R.

d_adams
10-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Just the big bore kit with nothing else should net you 150+ hp. The exhaust is there, just need to re-tune for the larger displacement. Cams will help with the midrange, but I don't really think it needs much there based on the last dyno runs on that bike. $1800 for 10+ hp, kinda expensive, but it gets you very close to the 1190 power. Mine's only making 162 at the wheel now, so for what you'd have invested in it, it might be worth doing.

mrlogix
10-22-2014, 04:02 PM
talked to the girlfriend last night about my thoughts of just selling the 1125 and buying the 1190. She was all for buying the 1190, but went nuclear when I talked about selling the 1125 to do it. I think she is more in love with the 1125 than she is with me, lol. I guess it has the vibrations for her (don't know how else to explain her reaction, lol). Any idea what the 1125RR was for HP at rear wheel?

d_adams
10-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Ah, umm, 170-175 anyway, had the showerhead injectors on it, cams, very high compression, etc. Lots of work done to it, only 3 were even made.

nicholas900
10-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to head to the dealer Friday. They are a EBR/Ducati dealer. Last time I had my Duc in for warranty work I asked about trading on a RX and have a good idea what he will give me. I can live with it. It's paid for, so I shouldn't have to cough up to much.

I really do like the Diavel, it's a great bike. But the SX just seems more up my alley. Smaller and more compact. At first I thought it was "funky" looking but it really has grown one.

Someone mentioned about heat on the Ducati's. So true. Every time I read a post about an XB feeling hot I just kinda smirk a little. My Diavel is puts out some heat, uncomfortable on a hot day for sure if you get stuck in traffic. My friend has a Panigale and we swapped bikes for a few miles on a ride. Holy molten legs. I actually pulled over because I thought the bike must be on fire. Seriously.

Theycallmecrash
10-23-2014, 12:52 AM
You wont regret it.