PDA

View Full Version : High Mileage, Need Opinions.

Enemy Zero
11-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Ran into an opportunity on a really good price for a 2006 Uly but it has 61k miles on it. I have no problem tearing one of these bikes down and bringing it back to life as I've done it with my 9sx and a friend's R. The question I have is would you buy one with this high mileage as long as all the basics checked out? What price would you think would be fair?

I really want a Ulysses and am debating this one. Anyone want to chime in and possibly push me off the ledge?

djs2k2
11-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Yes it had to stay on the road to get those miles! Or off the road for those smart ass people like me!

Matteson
11-04-2014, 04:29 PM
I would get it. I mean, my 1125r has high miles and am afraid that's why people are shying away. But what they don't understand is that she's a rider and hasn't had issues. Like DJ said, it had to be road worthy to get those kind of miles. I pushed you.

Enemy Zero
11-04-2014, 04:32 PM
I pushed you.

:D thanks for the extra push. Haha. Just really debating it all in my head.

stamen
11-04-2014, 05:38 PM
how much $$$ ? I wouldn't pay more than 3k and only if its fully loaded. beacuse for 1.5K more you can find one with 15k miles or so...

Enemy Zero
11-04-2014, 05:58 PM
We're talking around the 2500 range. May shoot for 2250

stamen
11-04-2014, 07:51 PM
sounds decent..

Enemy Zero
11-04-2014, 08:16 PM
http://images.craigslist.org/00u0u_lHFrk6uCgLI_600x450.jpg
This is what it looks like

squidbuellie
11-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Stop thinking about it and buy it already... For $2300-$2500 is a no brainier... As long as you want to ride the **** out of it.... And know that it's now, just a bike that only has part out value...
So if you rebuild it you would be doing it for yourself to ride... Because 99% of the people out there will not pay fair market, because of the miles.

Enemy Zero
11-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Yep. Thats pretty much where I'm at with it . I know I'll never be able to sell it for any kind of profit. I want a Uly to keep and travel on. Really wanted an 08+ but for the price, I could definitely make this one work. As said before, I have no problem. Rebuilding if necessary. Just kind of wondered if anyone else is as crazy as I think I am and willing to take a plunge like this.

user_deleted
11-05-2014, 04:35 AM
ken: think of it in these terms: if it has clean title and you can get it for say $2300...then tear it down to the box and motor and replace all the perishables that haven't been attended to. do the brake pads, all fluids, clutch cable, wheel bearings, belt, tires if necessary, add heated grips, and live with questionable cosmetics. hell....the tall screen and the luggage on this bike are worth $600 alone. check the warm engine full throttle static compression before you do anything else but following my suggestions above and doing your own work you can have a darn nice ulysses for $3000. i say it's worth it but check the compression...the clutch pack...the trans operation before anything else.

Fatty SS
11-05-2014, 04:37 AM
Who uses the word 'profit' when thinking of a motorcycle purchase? At <$2500, you can buy it, drop a much younger motor/trans in it for under a grand if it dies and still have a great tourer for less than $3500. So you can't turn around and make a profit... Who cares? You won't lose your ass on it, and you'll enjoy the hell out of it while you have it.

It's not worth much? Don't pay much and you're not out much. Now go buy it. ;)

ztied
11-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Yes i agree nice price. I would be willing to buy it if you dont want it

Enemy Zero
11-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the responses. I wouldn't be looking at a profit at all. Not looking to make one and am not in the business of flipping bikes.I was just stating that because I don't want people to get the idea that this is what I was after. I want to buy buells to own and keep on the road and possibly pass down to my boys when they get old enough and grow out of that awkward gixxer phase.

Lunatic, these are exactly the things I'm saying to myself right now so I'm glad that someone else is thinking on the same page as I am. Worse comes to worse, I can pick up a newer motor and transplant it and still be ahead.

user_deleted
11-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Lunatic, these are exactly the things I'm saying to myself right now so I'm glad that someone else is thinking on the same page as I am. Worse comes to worse, I can pick up a newer motor and transplant it and still be ahead.

ken: assuming you offer $2300 and seller accepts......for that kind of money i'd simply check for oil leaks, tightness of fasteners, static cranking compression(motor must be warm and at full throttle), replace the plug wires/plugs/air filter....and run it. i've seen several XB's hit the 80,000 mile mark and still run and sound good....and a few sporsters with well over 100,000 miles and running strong. i suspect the motor probably has alot of life left to it if ridden sensibly.

UMDterp13
11-06-2014, 11:38 AM
You better hope I don't find this before you buy it :)

Enemy Zero
11-06-2014, 12:40 PM
I'm working a deal right now. Will let you know how it goes just waiting on some pics and info.

theMelvster6
11-06-2014, 04:13 PM
Buy it damn it!!

Enemy Zero
11-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Hahahaha. I'm working on it. Now the question I have is, if I get it, is there anyone out there that will trade me their barricade orange plastics and low seat for the black ones?

Tbone
11-06-2014, 07:57 PM
That's almost exactly my ride, except I have an 09. Definitely buy this thing or put in a good word for me! Is there any maintenance records? I know I do not keep any, but worth asking I think? If it is well maintained it would be an excellent deal, if not still a good deal. I noticed in the pictures it is missing the underseat vent covers, not sure how easy they are to get? Also the trunks are excellent, you can fit a helmet in those. It does not look like it has a 3 bearing rear wheel, since the 3 bearing usually has a black axle that I know of, the one in the pic looks silver. Probably more important for 2 up riding, which I do a lot of. If well maintained all you would need is a comfort Kit, check/replace the wear items, relocate or do something so the ECM doesn't get squashed. Climb up on it, I literally have to, and go Ulying, Yes Ulying is different then just riding. Not sure how to describe it, just different in the way you love it or hate it. Ulying is what I do in my spare time, commute to work, weekends. sometimes at lunch just for fun. Uly on over to football game, or Uly on down the road, Uly on home.....

Enemy Zero
11-06-2014, 09:22 PM
I heard word back from him. He's a guy that buys used bikes for resale. Won't go lower than 2800. Seems high for the mileage. Doesn't have any maintenance records so I'd have to go off of his word that its mechanically sound. He says he's looked it over and ridden it and the only thing he's said its got a small leak on the left fork seal.

Getting finances together and seeing if I can go for a last ditch 2500 offer.

Oh and tbone, I believe the under seat deflectors were partof the comfort kit and the three bearing wheels weren't until 2009 or 10. I don't do any two up riding so its no worry to me. Wife wants nothing to do with motorcycling.

user_deleted
11-06-2014, 10:55 PM
3 bearing wheel in 2010 and all of them do NOT have black anodized axle. most are silver.
ken: offer him 2500. he'll say no. offer to split the difference at $2650. he'll say no. leave your name and #. he'll call in 24 hrs. accepting your offer. it ain't selling this time of year with that mileage for more than $2650 anyway.

Tbone
11-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Cash in hand sometimes closes the deal. $2800 does seem high though.
Well my wife never rode on a Motorcycle in her life, was taught by her parents to never get on the back of a motorcycle, or hang out with guys that ride motorcycles. The Uly worked it's magic and she climbed up on the back, and we went Ulying down the road, she then took a motorcycle safety course, then got a license, then a GZ 250, then there it set's in the garage for a year. She talks about riding though. She knows exactly how much stuff those trunks can hold and she fills them everytime we go somewhere. We Ulyed frozen turkeys, about 4 or 5, i think she held on to one of them. I do not pay attention to what she does on the back there, onetime I think she ate a sandwich while Ulying. I think it was the Trunks that got her on the Uly, they are pretty big and appear to isolate a passenger from seeing the road under their feet.

Enemy Zero
11-06-2014, 11:55 PM
ken: offer him 2500. he'll say no. offer to split the difference at $2650. he'll say no. leave your name and #. he'll call in 24 hrs. accepting your offer. it ain't selling this time of year with that mileage for more than $2650 anyway.

This seems like a solid enough plan.

Soooo, anyone want to trade me some barricade orange plastics when I finally get it?

Enemy Zero
11-08-2014, 04:06 AM
Looks like everything is lining up and I'll be picking this bike up on Sunday. I'm super excited and will post up some more pics once I get it home.

Thanks again everyone!

user_deleted
11-08-2014, 10:44 AM
happy for you ken!!! if you never owned a ulysses i think you'll really like it. i would bundle up and take it for a 5 mile ride when you get it home and see how it feels. then you'll know what to upgrade...what feels loose if anything...what feels worn. and add heated grips if not on now. the smith sports family has bikemaster brand on sale for $47 including freight on both amazon and ebay. they are tremendous and easy to install on the uly.

Enemy Zero
11-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the info! Doesn't look like its got heated grips installed from the pics. Its got the block off plate on the switch pod. Haven't owned a Uly but I've been wanting one ever since falling in love with my 9SX just have been short on funds and this popped up at the right price.

Can't wait to get it home and start tearing into it to get it new and road ready. Hopefully I can give it a good life and keep it on the road for years to come.

Enemy Zero
11-10-2014, 03:21 AM
Just got home with the bike. It rides great and has an even smoother transmission than my 9SX. From everything I can see from a thorough look over, it needs fork seals and the rear rocker box is leaking. Aside from that and minor wear from rubbing on the frame, it looks brand new all over. Here's a pic of the two of them playing nice together. Don't mind the mess in the garage, we just moved in October so we're still getting it sorted.

http://i.imgur.com/YoYnl06.jpg

Thank you again to everyone for all of the help and the little extra push I needed.

heagachongoose
11-10-2014, 03:38 AM
[up][up]:D

Enemy Zero
11-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Was sick all week and have begun the teardown process to get to the rear cylinder. Popped open the airbox and luckily it has a k&n in it. Unluckily, it also doesn't look like it's been cleaned in the 60k plus miles it's been in there. Got as much off as I could before having to put the 1yo down for a nap. Can't wait to get the baseplate off and get a good look at the rear cylinder.

UMDterp13
11-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Wheels look pretty clean for 60k :)
good pickup!

Woop woop '09 9sx & 06/07 ulysses are good combo of bikes to have!!!

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/16000_20140608201959_L.jpg

Enemy Zero
11-15-2014, 09:01 PM
The wheels/casings, heck the whole bike is ridiculous clean for the mileage. Thats why I couldn't pass it up for the price. I wanted an 08+ but this one runs like a champ and only needs minor work so if I can get it fully repaired soon and keep it running for years to come, it was money well spent and a tremendous value.

88b
11-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Looks nice, I like the wheels, my black ones always look dirty. That rear rocker gasket needs doing as the oil can wreck the fan.

Tbone
12-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Beautiful bike! Glad you have it and will definitely enjoy it!

Enemy Zero
12-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks. It's currently in a torn down state. I need to rotate the motor out but it's been a slow process with the wife's schedule and having to keep an eye on the kids in the process. I'm down to all that's left is to rotate out and track down the leak.

I'm excited to get this bike on the road. I've been itching to ride it.

Tbone
12-01-2014, 10:01 PM
I have not done this myself, but I seen Harley in Allen TX Rotate the motor on my Uly. Please forgive me if you already know this? They loosened up the rear axle slid the belt off the pulley, took parts of the frame off that held the foot pegs. Not sure if this is in the manual, why I mention it, mechanic said it gave it more clearance room and ease to rotate. They did leave the exhaust on and used a jack underneath it. Also disconnected the front motor mount and what appeard to be some black cross member(s). Was very cool to see. I paid $1336 parts & labor to have the Front and rear rocker gaskets changed, the intake seals changed, New ECM and flashed. Probably could have saved a lot as a DIY project? Next time I will attempt it to change the intake seals in another 3 years or so?

Enemy Zero
12-02-2014, 12:10 AM
Did the rotate on my 9sx it's way easier to do than it sounds just time consuming. I think my first time I had it out and back in under 3 hours and that included going to pick up spark plugs.

It's a lot of little parts you have to look after but once it rotates out, it's kind of a thing of beauty.

Here's the pic of when I pulled my 9sx motor out.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/16427_20140127054143_L.jpg

Tbone
12-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the picture,
W/o rotating I have been able to change the plugs a few times, but the intake seals where a different story. I was able to change the seals, but it was a knuckle busting MoFo for sure! Will not do that again.

Appears that to get to get to the rear rocker it is still a challenge even rotated? I missed that part when mine was in the shop. The mechanic said that if I keep maintaining the bike the rockers will never leak after he chnaged them.

cknapp
04-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Old post, but just wondering how that went changing the rear rocker seals? Is that a PITA? I just got an 06 uly with 20k miles. How did you know this was leaking? It's hard to see the rear rocker even with the seat off. Mine doesn't consume any oil so I figure it's probably good?

TPEHAK
04-10-2017, 07:10 PM
It is pita if you don't have time, tools and place to maintain motorcycle. If you see no leaks just ride it further.

cknapp
04-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Can you get the covers off if you just remove the whole air clear box (tank shell, filter cover, and bottom plate)? What did you have to do to get access? I have garage to work on it in and tools and patience. As long as it isn't a tongue in cheek/pray to god you don't f**k it up kind of thing. I had replaced the gaskets on my M2 Cyclone and I was able to do it by simply taking the fuel tank off.

lowkey
04-10-2017, 09:24 PM
cknapp here you go http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthread.php?16821-How-to-Rotate-your-engine-With-Pics!

FYI you can find pretty much any topic by searching google with buellxb.com then whatever your heart desires to learn about.

example: google search: buellxb.com engine rotate DIY and the first link is what I posted here.

user_deleted
04-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Can you get the covers off if you just remove the whole air clear box (tank shell, filter cover, and bottom plate)? What did you have to do to get access?

no sir.
you must "rotate" the motor assembly to install any top end gaskets including rocker cover gaskets.

cknapp
04-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Holy **** I hope there is a shortcut to that procedure. You tear apart half the bike! That's ridiculous.

lowkey
04-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Holy **** I hope there is a shortcut to that procedure. You tear apart half the bike! That's ridiculous.

It's really not that bad... if you do go in for rocker box gaskets make sure to change intake gaskets and the breathers out as they also start to leak and if you think it's stupid to rotate for the top of the box guess what? Same procedure for those little breathers...

Also someone mentioned rotating for spark plugs in this thread, that is crazy all that is needed is air box bottom off and left side scoop. Box/open wrench on the front plug and wobble/extension for the rear it's like a 5min or less job. NGK DCPR9EIX are the plug of choice for XB's

cknapp
04-10-2017, 09:51 PM
Breathers? Yes I'll keep that in mind if I end up needing to do that.

lowkey
04-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Breathers? Yes I'll keep that in mind if I end up needing to do that.

These
http://twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/artikel.asp?guid=YXHFSC&mc=1&aid=502

Also I like looking up parts on Twinmotorcycles first before I buy in the states as they have the part diagram or an actual picture of what you are getting where as newcastle or surdyke only show the P/N and book name of the parts. This way if you need say crush washers, O-rings, or some special bolt you will know to order it as well

Enemy Zero
04-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Wow. It's been a while since an update.

Turned out to be quite a bit more than a rocker seal. It ended up being one of the head gaskets right under the header outlet on the rear cylinder.

Had the bike taken apart for a while, used a seal kit and redid all of them, had the cylinders/pistons cleaned, new rings, cylinders honed and the fine folks at Moto Enthusiasts in Vista, CA helped me out with final assembly and any repairs that needed to be done. I can't thank them enough for their help and expertise with these bikes.

The bike runs like new now and has already been on a few trips through the southwestern states. Look forward to another 60K+ miles on this one.

Pic from a ride not too long ago with my father.

buelligan21
04-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Wow. It's been a while since an update.

Turned out to be quite a bit more than a rocker seal. It ended up being one of the head gaskets right under the header outlet on the rear cylinder.

Had the bike taken apart for a while, used a seal kit and redid all of them, had the cylinders/pistons cleaned, new rings, cylinders honed and the fine folks at Moto Enthusiasts in Vista, CA helped me out with final assembly and any repairs that needed to be done. I can't thank them enough for their help and expertise with these bikes.

The bike runs like new now and has already been on a few trips through the southwestern states. Look forward to another 60K+ miles on this one.

Pic from a ride not too long ago with my father.

Awesome that you got the bike all fixed up! Definitely a keeper for another 60k. Mine is sitting around 32k now and hearing stories of the mileage guys are getting with these bike before any major repair is encouraging! Sounds like you are on your way to the 100k mile club!