PDA

View Full Version : Replaced Tbody and Intake Seals; won't idle.

Deeds
11-10-2014, 03:27 AM
I've replaced the Intake seals (Genuine James) and throttle body (from an 06 Uly) on my 07 Uly. Afterwards, I did the TPS reset procedure.

I can't get the bike to hold an idle. I can get it started for only a second before it coughs and dies (a little bit of smoke from the intake). If I hold open the throttle, I need to keep it above 3k or else it will sputter, cough, and die. Sometimes the bike will backfire when thumbing the starter (sometimes a slight burning smell). If I turn it on, and try to keep the throttle 2-3k, I feel hesitation, but it feels good above 3k.

Is there a super special way to replacing this hardware? I've heard that these manifolds are very finnicky when it comes to installation. Right now I am taking everything apart and trying to assemble it again. Any pointers?

user_deleted
11-10-2014, 12:37 PM
i would do the following;
1-check your work. is there something unplugged such as IAT switch under air box base plate?
2-is the TBI throttle plate opening and closing correctly?
3-did you do the tps reset steps in correct order? and are you using ecmspy to do it?
if so the correct order is:
establish that ecm and computer device communicating.
turn out idle CC until reading of 0 established. blip throttle several times to achieve 0
turn out additional 1 turn. blip throttle
click "reset tps"....click.....then click "confirm reset tps"
no turn in idle speed screw clockwise until reading of 5.1-5.5 achieved. i prefer 5.1
start bike...warm up sufficiently...using same screw set warm idle speed to 1000rpm or thereabouts.
did you do the above steps in precise order???

theMelvster6
11-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Did you swap throttle position sensors...'07 TPS has its alignment prongs in a different place. Or the throttle position sensor on the 06 throttle body could be bad all together. Luckily 04-06 the TPS can be found at your local parts store for a fraction of the price of what dealers or ASB would charge.

Deeds
11-10-2014, 08:42 PM
lunaticfringe;
That's just how I did the TPS reset. however, I noticed that when I was taking everything apart again, the screw that compresses the spring on the end of the idle speed cable was compressed all of the way in... is that normal?

theMelvster6;
No, I didn't swap out TPS. They both have the two orange dots that signify they're of the same revision. I don't think either of them are bad because they both read the throttle inputs correctly in ECMspy.

Deeds
11-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Update

I've reinstalled the tbody and seals, and this time I used a lot of petroleum jelly. I've followed the TPS reset by the book.

It will start up a bit better than before, idle at about 1200 rpm, then die after about 5 or 6 seconds. If I try to keep it alive with the throttle, it feels like I'm choking it out.

If I try to keep the throttle steady at 3k rpm for example, the rpm will climb, then fall over and over again until the engine dies. It's as if the power is pulsing. Perhaps a faulty fuel pump?

Sometimes it takes a little longer than usual for the engine to start up, and it might backfire.

This is probably a longshot, but if there's anyone in the Hampton Roads, VA area that could lend some help that'd be amazing.

Deeds
11-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Could anyone share the latest verison of ECMspy? Maybe I've an old version that isn't functioning as it should.

Deeds
11-15-2014, 06:19 PM
I took a video of what's going on. The first two starts, I didn't touch the throttle. On the 3rd start, I kept the throttle cracked.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8ewuxer4lnjpm0/2014-11-15%2019.08.06.mp4?dl=0

rchuff
11-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Are you sure you did a tps reset right and was the throttle plate in the throttle body closed all the way before you hit the reset button. Are you running stock maps or race maps

Deeds
11-15-2014, 10:44 PM
I've got the race ECM. I will do another TPS reset tomorrow.

ReadyXB
11-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Deeds, did you have this problem before replacing the intake seals and throttle body? Were there any issues with the bike? What was the reason for the parts replacement?

ReadyXB
11-15-2014, 11:46 PM
Also, towards the end of the video (the last time you crank it and give it throttle), it sounds like only one cylinder is running, like a fuel injector or spark plug isn't working properly.

Deeds
11-15-2014, 11:57 PM
There was a bit of a leak from the seals and what I assume was the throttle plate bearings (not sure of the actual term). It was enough of a leak to cause some surging, and the rpm to slightly hang.