PDA

View Full Version : Drummer exhaust installed, engine missing, fouled plugs?

brijesh600
04-21-2009, 11:59 AM
So i installed the drummer exhaust on my 2003 XB9S (with 23K miles on it), the bike started up fine, and as Kevin had recommneded, i tok the bike out for a ride, kept the RPM at 3500 for about half an hour and got back home, the bike sounded great no problems what so ever later in the evening I started up the bike so my wife could listento the new muffler.(i only had the bike running for a few minutes and then turned it off) once again the bike cranked up fine, no probs. But this morning, as i got ready to leave to work on the bike, as routine, cracked her up and let it idle till i got my helmet and gloves on (about 10 minute duration) and then as i rode around the block the red light came on, and my engine started missing, then the light went off and it rode fine, 2 mnutes later same problem occured and then once again, so i turned around and left the bike at home and took the truck to work (sorry for the lengthy explanation, but figured it might help understand the problem better!)

So i am trying to figure out what the problem could be could it be the sparks plugs getting fouled since i only ran the bike for a few minutes last nite?
if that were the case wont it have been hard to start the bike this morning?
any help. pointers, please!

tattoo72
04-21-2009, 12:08 PM
It might not be the plugs. Especially seeing as how the engine light was coming on. I would test the ecm to see if there are any fault codes.

brijesh600
04-21-2009, 12:27 PM
i was hoping you wont say that [confused] I hate to take it in to the dealership, the one in town really sucks and the good one is about an hr and half away! I guess i will try to take out again tonite after i get home and see if it does the same thing again! I have the ECM Spy software and plug, havent gotten around to using it yet. Does that allow you to read fault codes?

LeFox
04-21-2009, 01:21 PM
download the manual (http://www.buellxb.com/specs.php)

it should be listed how to test your ecm yourself.
would explain, but got no time at the moment.

tattoo72
04-21-2009, 01:41 PM
The ecmspy will allow you to read the codes. Then you can use the link that LeFox listed to download the manual. With ecmspy and the manual you will be able to do all the tests.

brijesh600
04-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Lefox,
I do have a manual for the 2003 XB9S. LIke i said before it happened this morning on my way to work, didnt have a chance to look through the manual. Perhaps once i get home this evening, i will look into it
Just thought i could just shoot the question out to the forum members in the mean time, to see if any one else had similar experiences.

LeFox
04-21-2009, 04:31 PM
well, just wanted to mention that you don't have to send it to the dealer to read the codes.
you can do it yourself, even without ecmspy...

on a sidenote, never start your buell just to let it idle and hear her sign.
your start, you ride...
and don't let it idle for 10 minutes, that's too long.

brijesh600
04-21-2009, 05:30 PM
don't let it idle for 10 minutes, that's too long.
really! i didnt realise that!! good to know. this is my first fuel injected bike, and i just assumed that for a FI bike you didnt have to let it idle at all. Then i read on this forum that buells needed to run a little before you rode them, thats why i let the bike idle a little bit (10 min is a little exaggerated)
the buell is whole new animal to me, i am used to metric inline bikes, so pardon me for my ignorance!

Stevenc150
04-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Yeah, Let it idle long enough to gear up, ride kinda easy the first few minutes, and your golden. Since our FI engines are air-cooled, it gets too hot just at a standstill idle for too long a period of time.