PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a used 06 Buell XB9R

rrxcrunner
11-14-2014, 12:04 AM
The bike had several mods, many of which the owner didn't really explain including an "adjustable performance chip." I was hoping someone could help clarify what this is and if I should be doing something with it?

Also, the shifter is in reverse order (pressing down causes the bike to go up a gear). It doesn't really bother me, but is there an advantage to leaving this way or switching it back to normal?

Finally, my bike clearly had a small drop on the right side and there is a little bit of scratch on the black "Harley" engine casing. Is this something I should be particularly worried about?

Thanks so much for any help which can be provided! So far, I am loving the bike!

Enemy Zero
11-14-2014, 12:25 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure about the "chip" he could be talking about a race ecm or one of those fuel tuner boxes that I've seen before.

A lot of people call that shifting patter "gp" style or race shifting. It's how most race bikes are set up to make it easier for race riders to upshift in full lean. Some people love it and some people don't. It's up to you. It won't do any harm.

Do you have any pics of the damage in question? I'm not sure of the location that you're speaking of.

Congrats on the new bike. If you haven't owned a Buell before, it's different from anything else out there and if you learn to maintain it and ride it right, you'll have many years of great riding ahead of you.

UMDterp13
11-14-2014, 01:28 AM
+1 everything enemy said

rrxcrunner
11-18-2014, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the advice! I have been looking into replacing a couple of things, and was wondering if you guys have any recommendations? My knowledge of bikes is pretty basic/non-existent so all help is appreciated!

There is a small dent and scuff on my air box cover which bothers me, and I was thinking about purchasing this airbox cover:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/4756853672.html

But I realized it does not have the air vent with mesh that mine does near the gas cap. Is there any other alternatives in the stock yellow paint?

Also, I seemed to have stripped the bolt that held my mirror on while trying to tighten it so it didn't move when the wind hit it. I think I have these currently (left one is broken now):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-TURN-SIGNAL-INTEGRATED-INDICATOR-REARVIEW-RACING-MIRRORS-CLEAR-BRAND-Y-/151477014772?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ABuell%7CSubmodel%3AXB9R&hash=item2344bbd0f4&vxp=mtr

I wouldn't mind buying them again if I thought I could hook up the turn signals. Is it possible for the signals to work on the mirrors and side signals or are there any other good mirror recommendations?

Thanks again for the help!

Hobes
11-18-2014, 12:46 AM
With Race pattern shifts I noticed when you are racing. Head down shift down, head up shift up, but on the road you kind of go to your instinct which has people shift down when should be up, amusing but dangerous at times, all I can suggest is if you have mostly used street pattern on road is to keep street pattern.02c

rrxcrunner
11-18-2014, 02:11 AM
That makes sense. Any ideas about parts?

Enemy Zero
11-18-2014, 02:12 AM
I want to say that the the mesh above the gas cap didn't. Come about until around 2006. . Up until then the frames had a hole in them where the left air scoop is that fed into the airbox. You can always break out the plastic. Piece from yours and melt the plastics tabs with a soldering iron to hold the new mesh piece into place.

Paint isn't really a thing on xb models. They were injection molded and the color is all the way through the plastic, kind of like a golf ball.

As far as firebolt mirrors go, there's a few options out there. I believe the mirrors off a J model (2000-2002) kawasaki zx6r are a direct fit so if you can't find anything on eBay for Buell, that's another option.

theMelvster6
11-18-2014, 02:39 AM
Before anyone really started messing with the ecm programming and tuning, companies like dobeck came up with an inline tuner that allowed you to adjust low, mid, and high range fuel to richen it up. It worked, but very basic...and wasn't a real tune. Once ecmspy and tunerpro came along with the ability to direct tune the ecm to precise fuel and ignition maps...those inline fuel management thingymabobs were basically made obsolete. But every now and again they pop up on someone's bike and they don't really know what they are. Or someone actually buys one!! LOL

rrxcrunner
11-18-2014, 02:53 AM
I'm guessing that is what it is so I guess I just won't mess with it.

I may try to switch out the mesh area around the gas cap since the little ding does bother me. Not great at projects, but we'll see what happens.

Enemy Zero
11-18-2014, 03:08 AM
Owning a Buell will force you to become good at projects and sooner or later it will whip you into a fine mechanic. Just give it time. :D

[up] Melvster! Great info.

rrxcrunner
12-03-2014, 08:39 PM
So I just wanted to confirm that the color of a "yellow" 2003 xb9s should be the same as my 2006 xb9r. I don't see why they would be any different, but this whole project will be a bust if the paint doesn't match up.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks again!

thrstrmech
12-03-2014, 09:29 PM
SunFire Yellow...same color plastics except airbox decals:D

rrxcrunner
12-03-2014, 10:04 PM
I noticed that the decals are black rather than gray, but I actually think the black decals look better. Great, thanks!

UMDterp13
12-03-2014, 11:20 PM
The 03 9s also says "xb9s" in sortof a background watermark.
The 07 12r however did have black buell letters like the white 06 letters

rrxcrunner
12-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Where on it does it say the xb9s? I don't see it at all in the pictures:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/4756853672.html

thrstrmech
12-04-2014, 12:29 AM
it's in black over lay on the American Motorcycles...trust me it's there, been starring at it for 8-1/2 yrs:D the letters on the airbox are chrome/mirror finish on the '03 9shttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/10624_20130615123100_L.jpg

rrxcrunner
12-04-2014, 12:48 AM
Oh, yea I see it on yours. Did you check the link? This one appears to have all black lettering so I'm not sure it'll have that. Not a big deal to me either way, I'm just tired of the ding on my air box cover.

thrstrmech
12-04-2014, 12:52 AM
yea, saw the link, just the way the pictures were taken, '03 Lightning were the only year model they did that with to go with the StarDust Silver wheels which have polished edges, hence all the other polished accessories that were also offered. save your airbox as a spare though, I have a complete spare set in the same color.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/10624_20141023211921_L.jpg

XLXB
12-04-2014, 01:01 AM
I'm amazed how many people don't see that. ( the xb9s behind the American Motorcycles) I was at homecoming and a guy had xb9s plastics on a different bike and didn't ever notice it and said they came on it. That was one of the first things I noticed when I first looked at my bike. I thought it was neat way to mark a bike.

thrstrmech
12-04-2014, 01:53 AM
[up]

rrxcrunner
12-04-2014, 02:32 AM
Oh that makes sense. Does it make a difference that these are coming off of a XB9SX? Because I am fairly certain that the lettering is different from that of your bike, thrstrmech since your lettering is gray and this is black.

A Google search shows some models with black and some with gray lettering.

thrstrmech
12-04-2014, 03:20 AM
the link you posted states the airbox came off an '03 9s... the 9SX didn't have yellow plastics, maybe owner changed the decals, but doubt it...ask him for close up pics if possible, either way no big deal