PDA

View Full Version : Painting the frame

ZSM1TTY
11-29-2014, 11:06 PM
Ok. I'm new to this cite and just got a 06 buell blast 500 around 2 weeks ago. I bought a service manual and I want to paint not only the plastic mods but the frame to match. Got the plastics off with no problems, but I am curious as to how hard it is to remove the engine. I have seen in several places that its better to think of the task as pulling the frame off of the engine. Do you set up a support for the engine and transmission as a whole and just pull the frame? Thanks in advance -- ZSmitty:D

thrstrmech
11-30-2014, 01:19 AM
My son and I disassembled his blast earlier this year, it's pretty easy, though be careful in removing the wire harness from under the seat/frame area. FYI, the original frame paint is a bitch to remove, so my son found to be. Support the engine with a scissor jack after removing the exhaust before removing the frame. If you have a rear bike stand, it helps to strap the bike to it via the swing arm and over the tire, helps stabilize the bike. I'm not up to speed on the Blast, hit up jetlee...here on the forum for further assistance, good luck

ZSM1TTY
11-30-2014, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the advice, its much appreciated. I plan on starting the project soon and I'm just gathering as much research possible. I've worked on a lot of trucks, but sort of walking blind folded on this one.