PDA

View Full Version : Decel pop tunerpro

kaktus
12-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Can anyone point me in the right direction, I’m using tunerpro RT and I’m getting alot of popping all over my power band when decelerating, this makes sense because I have added fuel in all these areas. I know people take fuel away from the first three rows in the 2k-4k zone which this helped a little but really hasn’t fixed my problem as I have popping in every zone . I made sure to check for air leaks and I have actually repacked my exhaust and sealed off the exhaust can around the rivit’s with High temp RTV.
I know ECM spy you can shut the injectors or choose how much you would like them on during deceleration I want to do the same. I can see the Deceleration functions are available in tunerpro but I’m not sure what I’m doing when adjusting them and can’t find any information on this.

My current setup
· 2008 with DDFI 3 bueod
· Jardine exhaust
· K&N intake.

Timeless
12-23-2014, 06:08 PM
IIRC, exhaust "popping" is caused by running too lean, not too rich. Sounds like you need to add more fuel.

Theycallmecrash
12-23-2014, 09:24 PM
^^^ thats not exactly true.
But regardless, sounds like youre going at this tuning thing completely wrong.

Sounds like you are not using any sort of Air Fuel monitoring equipment. You are shooting from the hit it seems.

What might help is source a race map from someone or online to have a closer base tune. Next get some sort of wideband o2 sensor and gauge installed. Then do some data logging to see where you can actually have an idea of what kind of changes you need and where.

Also if it gets to be too much, www.xoptiinside.com and you can purchase a fairly close base tune. Id do that sooner than later cause the master behind it might not be involved much longer.

ReadyXB
12-24-2014, 12:29 AM
I can see the Deceleration functions are available in tunerpro but I’m not sure what I’m doing when adjusting them and can’t find any information on this.
Hi kaktus, I posted the response below in another thread (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-1125R/In-need-of-Help...) that may be helpful. Copied here for convenience:

If you have an otherwise healthy engine, the popping is completely normal and not causing any damage. But if it bothers you, there are several ways to "fix" it.

1. One way is to reduce fueling on deceleration. This is the most common method as it will also enhance the engine braking effect. There is a fine line to walk, though, because take away too much fuel and you will get a choppy return when rolling back on the throttle (think going around a curve and rolling on the throttle). You may also notice a bit "rougher" transition between RPMs when cruising at low speeds/throttle, although correcting this is just a matter of finesse. On my own bike, it took several rounds of modification to find the sweet spot. Know that the factory tuned our bikes for the best compromise between driveability and engine braking, so a person will be deviating from that to lessen the popping. I imagine EBR ECMs are tuned for a more aggressive braking effect. In your case you may just need a little more.

There are several ways to reduce the fueling. One is by directly altering the fuel maps for your deceleration zones (ex: no throttle and RPMs above 1350). I suggest data logging if you go this route to be sure you hit the correct cells. Note that "no throttle" does not equate to "no load".
The other is to reduce the "Deceleration Correction" parameter. For example, if it defaults to 96%, try 94%. This Deceleration Correction value is much easier to test and try, but altering the fuel maps gives you the most fine tuning control, if you know what you're doing. Also, there may be a maximum amount of time that the Decel. Correction stays active, even if "decel" is still occurring, though I cannot confirm. In all the logs at my disposal, I haven't observed more than 3.5 - 4 seconds of time but this is due to rider habits for all I know.

2. The other way is to -add- fuel in your deceleration zone (via opposite of the methods listed above), but this method is much more difficult to do properly. Also, you lose most of your engine braking capability and will notice a slower return to idle when the throttle is closed. Not what most people want.

Can your EBR ECM be modified?

FYI: there are a few other engine tuners on the forum. ich has a lot of knowledge if you can catch him.

kaktus
12-24-2014, 03:37 AM
I actually got most of my problem fixed. i loaded in a race map and looked the the functions that had been changed and copied most of them in. I did set my deceleration corrections to 74 but I also bumped my decel fuel zones up to 40. I made some other adjustments as well to my AFV and TPS voltage. I must say my bike runs awesome now, and runs better than it ever has. Now that I have a good starting point I'm going to start datalogging to get everything fine tuned in.

s0dhi
12-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Glad you got it sorted out. [up]

GregoXB
12-27-2014, 01:39 AM
I don't think you can ever get rid of all the decel popping, but the EBR ECM + Jardine combo I run is very good, I get almost no decel popping.