PDA

View Full Version : Anyone replace thier fuel pump on a XB12R?

toddb3
04-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I just bought a 2005 XB12R that was a tax repossesion and had been sitting in a state owned warehouse for 3 years. The bike only has 1300 miles on it and looks brand new. I've put a new battery in it, changed the oil, drained the old fuel and put in new fuel and tried to crank it for the first time last night with no success. From what I understand the fuel pump is usually heard upon trying to start the bike but mine isnt making any kind of noise. Is it possible the fuel pump is bad with only 1300 miles? It doesnt look that hard to replace but is there something else I need to check first?

Thanks
Todd

Stevenc150
04-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Guess you already checked fuses & such. Can you get to the wiring harness that powers the fuel pump? I'd check to make sure I had voltage through the connector coming from the battery side.

steve may
04-23-2009, 02:30 PM
If you have A manual pressure test the fuel pump, if nothing check the starter relay and ign.relay. Then follow the black wires coming out of the back of the block and check for A good ground. Hopefully someone with experience with this problem will weigh-in. I just thumbed through the manual and that was what I could find on the subject.

Tork
04-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Find a buddy with ECMSPY. You can run diagnostics on most of the major fuel and ignition components with it.

toddb3
04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I'll poke around it more tonight and see if I can find a loose connection and check the voltage going to the pump. I dont think I know of anyone with an ECMSPY, it looks like that's the next thing on my list to get.

Stevenc150
04-24-2009, 03:07 AM
For a quick way to check to see if your throwing up a Fuel pump trouble code, to can strip each end of a wire and follow this link: Engine Diagnosing (http://bcrider.com/DDFI.html). Who knows, it may save you a trip to the stealership.

toddb3
04-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Last night I checked all of the fuses(all were good) and I checked for voltage at the 4 pin connector for the fuel pump(voltage present). I reconnected the 4 pin connector and switched the ignition on and could hear the fuel pump priming. I still couldnt get the bike to start though, I'll put some fresh spark plugs in over the weekend and see if that will do it. By the way, this is my first fuel injected bike. Once you cut the engine on and hear the pump prime itself does it shut off until the engine cranks? Like I said I heard it prime and then nothing? I'll also try to retrieve any trouble codes via Stevenc150's recommendations.

Stevenc150
04-26-2009, 03:25 AM
Once you cut the engine on and hear the pump prime itself does it shut off until the engine cranks?
Once you turn the key to the "On" position, you should hear the fuel pump kick in momentarily and stop. Normally, while the fuel pump is priming, the "Engine" light is on and goes out when the fuel pump cuts out. Then you hit the starter.

toddb3
04-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Well, After putting in fresh plugs and verifying that I had spark and then did the diagnostics per Stevenc150's advice I was able to pull 2 trouble codes. 33 and 21. 33 is the fuel pump which I suspected is bad but 21 is the exhaust controller. Has anyone had this error before? Also, is it possible to replace the fuel pump by merely unbolting the bottom shock bolt to lower the swingarm down enough to remove the pump? Or does the swingarm definetely need to be removed?

Stevenc150
04-30-2009, 02:47 AM
The service manual you can get on here, will show you everything involved with removing it under the "Fuel System" then "Fuel Pump" links. It says that you will have to remove the swingarm, but following the manual isn't always necessary. [smirk]

InTheTurns
07-07-2009, 01:42 AM
I just bought an 04 XB12R. I am new to sportbikes but have been riding for years. This is my first fuel injected bike also. My bike's fuel pump does not seem to shut off. It is fairly loud and can easily be heard at stops. Is this normal? the bike seems to run ok but has been sitting for the past year. The throttle seems very abrupt at takeoff. That may be normal too(stock fuel mapping issue?). Just looking for peace of mind.

harveybirdman
05-12-2011, 01:13 PM
InTheTurns,

Did you ever get a response to your question above?

freak2180
05-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Wow bringing back the dead are we........that was posted 7/6/09........[confused]