PDA

View Full Version : Re-route hoses

mrdozer2you
06-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Ok, I,ve heard different things about this but havent found any instructions on how to do this. Here's how I did it and what you will need.

2x 5/8" plastic male tee's ( hardware store )
1x 2.5'-3' piece of 5/8" rubber hose ( I got fuel line hose from auto parts store)
1x small breather filter ( auto parts store )

total cost- about $9
time- 20 minutes

1. Remove airbox fairing
2. Take off top air box cover
3. Remove lower air box ( dont know what its called but there's 4 bolts holding it to the frame.
4. Disconnect the air sensor and take off lower air box and shove the 2 hoses back through their respective holes, it slides off the air intake ( big rubber horn looking piece)
5. I had to cut maybe 1" off the stock hose on the left side in order for the T's to fit and not pinch the hose
6. Connect the 2 hoses on the bike into 1 of the "T" connectors
7. Connect the piece of hose you bought to the other end of the "T" connector
8. Take the hose and run it under the frame towards the back of the bike so that it comes out near the swing arm in the rear. ( this is the hardest part and took me the longest, I used some black cable ties and connected the hose to existing wires to keep it off the engine )
9. Establish where you would like to put your breather filter ( mine is on the left side near where the swing arm and side rails meet )
10. Cut hose and connect the other "T" connector and breather filter
11. Connect the hose to the last spot on the "T" and run it down to somewhere on the inside of the swing arm ( a small bit of oil may drip out of here from time to time so make sure that it won't drip on the path of your tire. You can connect a catch can as well if you like but a minimal amount of oil will drip if any.)
11. Out of your leftover hose cut maybe a 6"-8" piece and shove one end through one of the empty holes in the lower air box. ( thats where you removed the hoses in the beginning ) Then shove the other end of the hose through the remaining hole.
12. Put everything back together and you're done, and remember to make sure that the new hose is secured and not rubbing-pinching any thing else

Sorry about not having the techincal terms for everything but hey i'm not a mechanic

mrdozer2you
06-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh BTW, this is not emission legal in all states. It basically is re routing crank case gasses from being recycled through the engine. Causing rough idle, popping, missing, and generally running like crap. I've also heard that this can add a couple HP but havent noticed anything myself, but it does run alot smoother and there's no more oil splatter in my airbox [up]

2Evil4U
06-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Did you plug the holes in the lower airbox plate? If not, you're pulling dirt into the intake after the air filter. Whatever you use to plug the holes, make sure it goes on from underneath. Don't need stuff coming loose and getting sucked into the intake. Otherwise, sounds like a decent cheap alternative to the ubiquitous catch can.

mrdozer2you
06-07-2007, 12:00 AM
11. Out of your leftover hose cut maybe a 6"-8" piece and shove one end through one of the empty holes in the lower air box. ( thats where you removed the hoses in the beginning ) Then shove the other end of the hose through the remaining hole.

So....yeah

Das Bolt
06-07-2007, 02:00 AM
Was the rough idle skipping ect. the reason you did the mod.in the first place? I've got a race ecm but I didn't open up the air box yet and my bike is running like you were saying. I've had the tps reset at the dealers twice and it's still not running right.

2Evil4U
06-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Whoopsie. Missed that step.

mrdozer2you
06-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Yes, thats the reason I did the mod. Definitely worth the 9 Bucks. The dealership won't tell you to do it because it changes the emissions of the bike. Basically those hoses that you re-route are putting exhaust gasses ( mainly Co2 ) back into your air box to be recycled through the combustion process again. So your engine is getting clean fresh air mixed with un used crap from the crank case. This can and does cause the roughness and missing, skipping etc. So by doing this mod it's taking all that leftover exhaust and dumping it outside the airbox instead of inside it.

hottoddy69
06-07-2007, 01:41 PM
How does other Buell owners feel about this mod?? "Buellparts guy" etc.?

TZippria
06-07-2007, 02:46 PM
I am very interested... post some pictures.

anrusso
07-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Just posted a question regarding oil burn before finding this thread. I plan to do this soon even if solely for the performance improvements, but does it also help reduce oil burn off?

MrOrange
07-04-2007, 02:10 AM
I did the breather hose mod about 3200 miles ago, with the hose vented back by where the fuel scupper drains. I really have not noticed any difference on the oil consumption since I did the mod. My XB9s usually needs oil every fill up, unless I ride like Grand Ma, then the consumption is not too bad.

mrdozer2you
07-04-2007, 01:49 PM
It's still going to use oil, it just keeps crappy un burned gasses from going back into the air box and back through the motor. Thus reducing the "popping" and "missing".

anrusso
07-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Well it turns out that my oil consumption was actually from a blown crank seal. All that oil I thought was burning was actually dumping into the primary. This goes back to topic because it could potentially be from a clogged breather. Will this reroute take care of this or would is an entire line check in order?

mrdozer2you
07-09-2007, 08:10 PM
I think if its a clogged breather then you will need to check/replace the whole line. Re-routing the hoses is only beneficial if they are functioning [cool].

zombieBUELLer
08-04-2007, 09:24 PM
i was bored last night so i figured i would give this mod a shot. went down to the pep boys bought everything i needed. i spent a little more than $9 and it took about me 30 min. i ran the hose forward and mounted my breather near my oil cooler.

as far as the benefits of this mod go. no more idle surge/pop or missing under 2500 rpm.

thanks mrdozer2you for the easy to follow write up.

His_and_Her_Buells
08-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Does anybody know if this will void warranty or is reversable if warranty service is required?

06xb9r
08-05-2007, 12:28 AM
You can change it back if you need to but I just had my bike in the shop and they didn't say anything about it.

dunroamin
08-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I just did the re-route of the breather and it is a very noticable change. makes riding below 3000rpm easier, it takes away the poppinig and surging. Just a little correction on the hose size it's not 5/8 hose it's 3/8hose on the breather.

mrdozer2you
08-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah, the T's are 5/8" sorry :p

Stylie420
09-24-2007, 01:02 AM
So I got stuff to do this mod, but am wondering where others mounted the breather. If there is anyone that has done this on a firebolt could post some pics showing where you mounted breather. Also I had to get 3/8" tees and hoses, maybe its just different on 2008's.

Das Bolt
09-25-2007, 11:56 PM
I ran the hose down through the frame at the front on the left and mounted the breather on the oil cooler bracket.The air intake hides the hose and the breather is mounted close to the cooler so it blends in.Sorry no pics.

Stylie420
09-26-2007, 03:40 AM
Yeah, thats what i was thinking about doing. Or maybe running it all the way down to the chin faring, but i wasn't sure if it would be smart to have it so close to the muffler.

robman1000rr
09-27-2007, 10:17 PM
i was wondering why have a breather filter on one end of the tee and the other end open well it sounds like to me that is defeting the purpos with one filter and other open for drain

zombieBUELLer
09-27-2007, 10:42 PM
if you dont close the breather tube (i just put a bolt in the end that Ts off the filter.) there really is no need for the filter.

also i have pulled the bolt and found it to have a very fine oily film but no "fluid" to speak of.

i'll post a pic of my set up when i can.

zombieBUELLer
09-27-2007, 11:52 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/568_20070927165137_L.jpg

Stylie420
10-02-2007, 01:38 AM
So I was wondering, with this bad air leaving the engine, it has to make up for it with good air. Does it effect the air fuel mixture, I would think it would make it run a little lean. Also does anyone recommend buying a catch can, cause I get a lot of clear snotty fluid running out of the hose when I take short trips?

mrdozer2you
10-03-2007, 04:26 PM
bad air leaving the engine
not leaving the engine, but being recycled through it.

Does it effect the air fuel mixture
It shouldn't, its only cutting out the recycled air, not restricting clean air flow.

Basically by re-routing the hoses you are removing a cheap form of emissions control, and making your bike run better.

Stylie420
10-04-2007, 02:00 AM
I know it doesn't restrict air flow, but the engine is trying to reburn the recycled air does it have any fuel mixed in with it. If so wouldn't the intake be setup to take that fuel into account?

mrdozer2you
10-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Probably not, hence the backfiring!!

whitefirebolt9r
12-24-2007, 03:43 AM
Is the filter just for catching oil, cause from what i can see the hose just needs to lead somewhere away from the bike to get rid of the engine fumes. so why have it go through a filter?

mrdozer2you
12-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Exactly, some people have a catch can installed to collect the oil.....I didnt use one because the oil drip is very minimal almost non-existent. The filter is because when the bike spits the oil it also sucks air back in....the filter insures that no debris from the outside air is being pulled back into the motor.

bleblanc03
03-14-2008, 04:21 AM
Stylie, if you're worried about your a/f ratio being affected, don't be. Everytime you ride your bike for a few minutes at easy load (flat ground, 2000-4000rpm steady) the ECU is in its closed-loop mode and reevaluates the mixture. Any changes in atmospheric temperature/pressure, or something like the lack of CO2 from a crank case breather is accounted for by an adjustable 'multiplier' called the AFV - adaptive fuel value, which will try to return the mixure to stoichiometric (chemically balanced).

CITYXSD
03-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks to all for the great ideas for the mod, If nothing else I will enjoy not wiping the oil out of the airbox. Here is what I used. Air breather from Drag Specialties, 2 rubber stoppers inserted from the underside to plug the holes, fuel hose 5/8" O.D. 3/8" I.D., 2 T's, schraeder valve, and zip ties at the connections. I chose to route to the back although I liked the mounting by the oil cooler. To start I removed the hose from the rear cylinder and saved it for the end with the valve due to the nice curve it already had. Then I cut about 4" off the front cyl hose and recycled that for the rear cylinder. Then new hose to just behind the rear sub-frame to hide the filter. Left about 2" hose at the end for oil collection.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1025_20080319152445_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1025_20080319152507_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1025_20080319152546_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1025_20080319152623_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1025_20080319152649_L.jpg

Bill
04-26-2008, 03:43 AM
That's pretty much what I did, and I didn't do the overflow can either. I figure if it collects enough oil to require it, I'll just go get a new filter - they're only about $5.00 or so from Autozone.

WULFGODSXB
05-26-2008, 01:14 AM
LOVE THE MOD JUST DID IT TODAY ON MY NEW ULY. BUT I DO AGREE WITH ZOMBIEBUELER. I RAN MINE PRETTY MUCH JUST LIKE HE DID BUT I RAN LINE OFF T DOWN BY THE AIR CHIN DRILLED SMALL HOLE IN IT ZIPP TIED IT AND INSTALLED SM. BRASS FITTING WITH A CAP. THAT WAY I CAN DRAIN IT EVERY GREAT ONCE AND A WHILE. [up][up][up][up]HAVE PICS BUT TO LG. TO POST WORKING ON SIZE

WULFGODSXB
05-26-2008, 01:42 AM
HERE ARE SOME PICS. SINCE PHOTOS I HAVE SHORTENED DRIP LINE SO IT IS NOT NEARLY AS NOTICEABLE. IF U RUN LINE LIKE THIS TAKE LINE OFF FRONT CYL. AND MOVE TO BACK AND CUT ABOUT 3.5" PCE. FOR FRONT CYL. AND IT WILL LINE UP T ALMOST PERFECTLY;););)
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1861_20080525183705_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1861_20080525183639_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1861_20080525183454_L.jpg

edit: picture layout

dave_xb12r
06-04-2008, 02:16 AM
I just did this mod and it made a big difference! Everyone should do this. Its cheap, easy, and makes the bike run sooo much better!

riding_tall
06-05-2008, 02:34 AM
I agree. It makes a big difference and really smooths out the idle-3k range.

shilohsk8
06-06-2008, 02:22 AM
The filter is to let air in as oil drains and sits on the second T above the drain/catch hose. I just did this today and I love how my bike feels at low RPM's.

shilohsk8
06-06-2008, 02:26 AM
I just answer a question of the last page like a dummy, sorry. But I am very happy with the mod.

burnteyes
06-10-2008, 07:14 PM
i might try this, but im not a very good do it yourselfer... so im scared[sad]

mrdozer2you
06-10-2008, 08:17 PM
might try this, but im not a very good do it yourselfer... so im scared

Once you remove the airbox cover so you can see the airfilter, you'll see how easy it really is. It just sounds tougher when its all written down.

** BTW there were 4 pages of installation directions that came with my exhaust. I read it and said Holy Sh**. Then I grabbed my tools, a beer, and tossed the instructions in the garbage. No Problems [up]

Phrogg
06-14-2008, 08:45 PM
just got done doing the mod and it freaking starts HAILING OUTSIDE!!!![mad]

So I will take it out for a spin once its done and report back if it help with the backfire/popping sound.

Phrogg
06-15-2008, 02:34 AM
Just wondering is this going to hurt the gas mileage at all? I know when it when to be recycled, it might have had some unburnt fuel. So I was just wondering if it was going to hurt it at all.

PS: it is a whole lot smoother....nice!

LeFox
06-15-2008, 08:32 AM
any change is gas mileage should be minor...but power does have its price [smirk]

ulyscol
06-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Ditto on the hose mod. Noticed a slight improvement at 1st gear parking lot speeds. Now I will be machining a catch can and powder coating it graphite to match the frame. Here is a quick sketch.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1632_20080615120706_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1632_20080615120817_L.jpg
The vent will be at a 22.5 degree angle to allow the oil to flow down into the can.

zoedogg1
06-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Im kinda thinking that eventually crap will drip from that filter. I have a catch can that the goop goes into and at the top af the catch can off to the side is the breather. It is just spliced into two directions this way (top photos) and both work as a drain. That defeats the purpose of the filter as a breather. Also, the drainage may become a small problem since gas, water and sluggy oil come out and onto your bike and rear wheel as you ride.
With a catch can you basically save it, and drain it every few tanks or so. No mess this way. There is a decent amount also that is caught at times..but it does differ.

zoedogg1
06-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Oh! Before I forget, the plugs up top in the bottom of the air box. If they arent gluded in real good you may want to switch and install them from the bottom. If one rattles loose or something and somehow ends up in the Stack, your gonna be REAL unhappy. It draws air pretty hard and could suck one out. I've seen this happen to 3 different guys.

FIDOSOL
07-11-2008, 08:17 PM
hey if worried about oil buildup, just purchase an in-line filter, then when it pull air back in to hose it will be filtered, and when it doesn't the oil can drain out because it is a two way filter...

GatorBuell
07-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Just finished mine [up] Very easy to do. I used a 3/8 barb to 1/2 threaded end and capped it with a 1/2 threaded PVC end cap for a small reservoir and ran it under the seat.

captain13ron
07-13-2008, 10:51 PM
just did the mod......WOW, cleaned up my stumble. except i only used one tee and ran the hose back to and followed the line running to the rear master cylinder behind the right footpeg. very happy!:D

Bordsnbikes
07-14-2008, 01:58 AM
If your engine is running right you won't get any noticable change in AF mixture. The hoses your guys are rerouting have a suck and blow not just blow. The reason the oil moves out is because of the viscocity. Oil has surface tension, thats why you can't wipe it off. So what happens is it works its way out the tubes but not back in as much so it starts to get that film and then drips. As your engine starts to wear and you start getting blowby on your piston rings you will get an overpressure in your crankcase and it will start to just blow. When you start to get to much blow thats when it's time to re-ring your pistons. I have the same mod on my sportster. I eventually had oil EVERYWHERE. So I just tore it apart and bored out my cycliner and put in new pistons and rings.

As for the filter, if you have a catch-can then you need the filter or it will just spit oil out. If you don't have the catch-can then it will just drip down and onto the ground. If you want a technical name you can call it "vent to atmosphere" It sounds pretty good that way.

Bordsnbikes
07-14-2008, 02:01 AM
So after typing out this great explanation, I realized this was all covered, I would have known that if I knew there was a second page. Haha oops.

FIDOSOL
07-14-2008, 06:22 PM
I did this over my lunch break and I've only put like 20-30 miles on it since, but I must say ME LIKEY! Runs soooo much smoother from idle to 2500rpm, really makes going through the gate (speed limit 15 with like a million speed bumps) a lot easier. It used to be murder, the worst part of my ride to work, now it's gravy.

Oh and for all of those that were wondering, in theory your motorcycle mpg shouldn't be effected adversely because you are not stuffing more fuel in there now than you were before, if anything you will be getting more Oxygen in with your fuel so that it should burn better. Hence, maybe mpg's go up? Maybe someone could do a before and after study and post it on here for us?

FIDOSOL
07-14-2008, 08:36 PM
This is where I put my filter...http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1642_20080714133553_L.jpg

mrdozer2you
07-15-2008, 01:04 PM
if anything you will be getting more Oxygen in with your fuel so that it should burn better.

Thats the idea behind it [up] But...because you arent re-burning/recycling the gasses it's being wasted and dumped out of the bike, so that could mean worse gas mileage. Then again, I bought my bike for fun, I could care less about mileage. ;)

LeFox
07-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Oh and for all of those that were wondering, in theory your motorcycle mpg shouldn't be effected adversely because you are not stuffing more fuel in there now than you were before, if anything you will be getting more Oxygen in with your fuel so that it should burn better. Hence, maybe mpg's go up? Maybe someone could do a before and after study and post it on here for us?
actually...:o

to explain the concept.
original routing re-uses already burned gasses, which still have some unburned particles into the mixture and route them back to the inlet to burn again, thus actually burning the mixture twice.
this causes less unburned particles to be released into the air, which is better for the environment.
in this mixture, there are of course also exhaust fumes which don't burn that good and which prevents your engine from running optimal, especially at low rpm when there's not enough fresh air getting mixed with the already burnt mixture.

so, by re-routing this, you are no longer pushing fumes back into the engine, but filling it with a fresh air/fuel mixture, making your engine run smoother and healthier.
but, although minimal, this does affect the environment.
and, since you are no longer re-burning that air/fume/unburned particle mixture, you will be adding more fresh air/fuel mixture. Which will give you some minor changes in your gas/mileage.

:p;)

FIDOSOL
07-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Hey, one point nobody can argue, I now have a wicked neat looking filter on my bike!

LeFox
07-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Hey, one point nobody can argue, I now have a wicked neat looking filter on my bike!
:D[up]

Roccodart440
07-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Is there any issue now that there is nothing pulling positive crankcase pressure?

A PCV valve on a car for instance is very detrimental to remove. In race application we run vacume pumps off the motor and run to a canister to get even more vacum on the crankcase, albeit we don't recycle those gases in that application but we do it because a vacum pump makes more HP and also replaces the funtion of the PCV valve.

Bordsnbikes
07-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Good question Rocco, I guess I don't know off hand but see where your coming from. What if you were to make it like and old school road draft tube? Hang in down at the bottom so as the air blows over it, it creates vacuum to pull it out. Maybe use a little piece of hard line at the end so it wouldn't whip in the wind. It would drip a little, you wouldn't be able to use the catch can to do it that way.

LeFox
07-24-2008, 09:27 PM
if you place the end where it open, the air getting across creates enough vacuum.

the idea behind the re-route is not to create more hp, but to stop the exhaust fumes from being pushed back into the engine making less room for fresh, cool, usable air.
this makes the burn process run more efficiently and creates more hp by itself, without running an additional vacuum pump.

vacuum pump can be seen as 'the next step'...although nobody seems to have the need for it, since the gains would be minimum.

Roccodart440
08-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Something I ran across on You Tube.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7RhdD7Kh6WE&hl=nl&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7RhdD7Kh6WE&hl=nl&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

09XB12Ss
09-06-2008, 09:33 PM
I originally did this mod to stop making a mess in the airbox. I wasn't expecting to see any improvements as far as the engine running better. The explanations were perfect. Got all the parts at Napa. They had everything on the list. After having done the mod, I went out for a ride to see that nothing was done wrong. I was truly impressed how much smoother the engine ran. What a difference. Thanks guys with coming up with this mod. I plan to take a look in my V-rod airbox to see if they did the same setup.

The Tin Man
09-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Ok so I decided to start the mod...I have to head to the store in a bit and i decided to take apart the bike first. I have everything off except the bottom of the airbox with the big horn in it. How do i get it off from here. The horn seem to be connected from below. The sensor is connected there as well. Some help here guys?

josnow
09-07-2008, 03:44 PM
the bottom of the velocity stack (I am assuming that's what you are calling the "big horn") has two "gaskets" that are built as part of the velocity stack. The base plate of the airbox is sandwhiched between the two gaskets and comes up and over the velocity stack. Start pushing the gaskets through base plate, once you start one corner, it should start going pretty easy. The sensor doesnt have to be disconnected, there was enough slack in the wires, I just carefully placed mine to the side.

The Tin Man
09-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Here's a vid i did after doing the mod...hopes this makes it a little clear for some guys.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oKSYficDLH4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oKSYficDLH4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

maybebuell
10-04-2008, 11:20 AM
dont need a filter on breather its a positive flow out oil breather does not suck in only pulses out

Bill2
10-10-2008, 01:50 AM
BTW this mod has been done on evo sportsters a long time.Its a epa thing just to help meet ever tightening pollution specs dumping crank case gases back in the intake. It also causes the tops of your pistons to carbon up faster when that crap is plumbed back in your air intake. So this is a great more in more ways than one.

Bordsnbikes
10-10-2008, 05:18 AM
Maybebuell, it goes in and out, you just can't tell it sucks in.

Buellme
10-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Tin Man great vid! it was just what i needed to get where everything goes! Thanks! [up] :D

poppinsexz
10-13-2008, 02:33 AM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh106/poppinsexz/IMG_2686.jpg

I ran mine out the front and down to a catchcan and breather that I mounted on the front of the oil cooler

maybebuell
10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Maybebuell, it goes in and out, you just can't tell it sucks in.....sure about that do some research... might pulse 1 foot out and 1 inch in it will not suck anything into motor...why do you think the air box fills up with oily crap or the filter after a while will get damp with oil and sand stick to it....thats how a motors breathing system is designed

Sayjackb
10-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Did we decide whether i am safe to just plug the line or should i definently have a filter on there? Or can i just use the filter as the catch and the intake?

LVsleeper
10-16-2008, 06:30 PM
I just ran my line down next to my oil cooler, Teed the filter off and then ran another 2"-3" of hose off the T and a plug fitting at the end of the hose. Remove the plug to drain any emulsified oil in the drain tube. also I've heard of people terminating the hose with a filter on the end and using it as a filter/catch can and replacing the $5-7 filter every 6 months or so with no problems, I'd say this is probably a better option than just plugging the line as the pressure would probably just shoot the plug out of the hose unless there is a filter on there.

keisersozae
10-16-2008, 07:26 PM
did this mod the other day along with replacing my factory headlight bulbs. easy easy easy, and man can i tell a difference. since my race ecm, exhaust, and k&n, my bike has stuttered below 2500 if you weren't in its ass. no more. thanks for the detailed instructions. my bike runs better and it thanks you.

Sayjackb
10-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Ok, i give up... where the crap do i get the little breather filter? I tried... OSH, ACE, NAPA, KRAGEN, and another ACE!!! not one had it... And I'm not the type to wander around aimlessly looking. So i asked for help, and everyone was baffled... Then i wandered around each store on my own... Nothing...:(

dave_xb12r
10-18-2008, 03:01 AM
You'll find them in your local auto parts store in the "rice" section. And sometimes they have larger and more expensive ones near the edelbrock crap.

Or you can order a good one from ABB here (http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/5641.html)

Bordsnbikes
10-18-2008, 04:33 AM
I'm positive it goes in and out, not 12 inches to 1, maybe more like 2 to 1. Your right though, it won't be sucking in things, but the dirt and grime will work it's way up there. I've got this action going on on my sportster, I've got first hand knowledge where it's really easy to get to and see inside.

Sayjackb
10-18-2008, 09:20 PM
One word for the re route... Heavenly! Thanks for the help all.

The Tin Man
10-18-2008, 10:18 PM
I think the mod is great too but fuel mileage suffers a bit. I didn't use the filter and see no need too. I get very little coming out the end of the hose. Don't get me wrong, there is a little bit coming out but not enough to make my rear tire slick or anything. As a matter of fact I had mine drain right above the exhaust outlet on the muffler and when I ride the drops get blown to side of the bike.

Slick17
10-22-2008, 08:58 PM
ulyscol, thats a really good idea for the catch can that your thinking about making. Have you been able to get one made yet. If so let me know, I am interested if would like to build a extra one :D

Roccodart440
10-22-2008, 11:40 PM
I have still been thinking about doing this and have the bike somewhat apart so I figured i'd give it a shot.

After seeing what si going on and looking at poppinsexZ's pic in my opinion you can't block off the end of the hose. This is the PCV system. You can re-route it and risk getting less vacum and proably be ok but you have to have some crankcase breathing on the engine. It can not be a closed sytstem.

poppinsexz
10-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Here is the Catch can on the front of the oil cooler bracket

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh106/poppinsexz/IMG_2740.jpg

Here is the Breather.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh106/poppinsexz/IMG_2739.jpg

You must have a way for air to get in and out. I would recomend at least a breather at the end of your hose.

oxygen151
10-23-2008, 12:58 AM
I know its minimal and doesnt really matter, but like the tin man said above and out of curiosity, what kind of drop in MPG are you guys experiencing??

poppinsexz
10-23-2008, 01:20 AM
Was averaging 53mpg.
Swapped to the race ecm, race muffler, K&N, and the breather mod, my only fill ups since then and I have gone to 48, and 50mpg.
Not enough to really quantify yet, could be just riding style and weather.

Roccodart440
10-23-2008, 03:39 AM
Nice setup poppin. That is one of the nicer ones I've seen. by the way the reason I referenceed your original pic is becuase you can clearly see the valve covers in that picture and the breathers comming off of them.

by the way. Where did you get that catch can?

poppinsexz
10-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I got it from AmericanSportBike.com, it was a little pricey, I started to make my own but it's for the Buell so WTH. Much nicer than I would have come up with anyway.

poppinsexz
10-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Rocco

I had understood what you were doing, I just added the pictures to show all of what I had done. I had wanted to post pictures of the can and breather when I posted the hoses the other night, however I didn't have any.

FIDOSOL
10-23-2008, 03:11 PM
This little thread really took off...almost as much interest as the exhaust threads.

mrdozer2you
10-24-2008, 12:47 PM
This little thread really took off

Yep, I figured we needed a starting point and people keep making it better [up] :D:D:D

**Buellxb needs to make stickys ;) **

Roccodart440
10-27-2008, 12:54 AM
So I pulled mine apart and began doing this mod. The pics don't do justice to pliing it apart and seeing it for yourself.

My response to a few things aforementioned. PCV is not an issue here. The way it is setup is not like a car. The hoses vent the crankcase gase to the airbox where IMO there isn't enough vacum to say the hoses are under any vacum worth mentioning. Venting it elsewhere should cause any issue.

2nd there is a lot of oil that these things spew around in there. I'm really looking forward to driving it with my engine getting air and fuel (and nothing else.

Now some questions.

Do you guys think that it is worth opening up the upper airbox lid? YOu would get more air but you loose the ram air effect from mthe stock setup. Do you guys see the factory setup as a restriction? I wish we had some math wizzes to calculate the max CFM the engine can breath and the amount that can flow through that frame port.

mrdozer2you
10-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Do you guys think that it is worth opening up the upper airbox lid? YOu would get more air but you loose the ram air effect from mthe stock setup. Do you guys see the factory setup as a restriction

Of course its worth doing, the factory "ram air" isnt really ram air at all. With the airbox the way it is, the air gets deflected all over inside the box, not really being "forced" in. Opening up the airbow will give you less restriction, although it wont do much except make your bike run lean without getting a proper tune. Once you mod the intake and exhaust...a tune is a must to get the benefits of your modding.

Roccodart440
10-27-2008, 11:03 PM
I have the race ECU and the micron pipe

climberfreak
10-30-2008, 03:39 AM
so is this mod suppose to increase popping? lol cause damn hopefully it will clean up the more i ride it

Trill
10-30-2008, 04:04 AM
I did this mod and drained my tube today and alot of water came out [up]

Glad this isnt going into my airbox

mrdozer2you
10-30-2008, 01:01 PM
I have the race ECU and the micron pipe

Go for it then [up] It should be ok...but will be better with a tune.

MONSTER
11-08-2008, 03:40 AM
just performed this mod today. kind of a buell noob but i know myway around a tool box. it was an easy job to do but i really almost had adverse affects. my 12 bolt is running a little better but it also died a few times while at an idle waiting at a light.I didn't really see abything in previous posts but is this something that deserves a tps reset?

Stevenc150
11-08-2008, 03:53 AM
....is this something that deserves a tps reset? Nope. You did nothing more than make the air you're intake sucks in a little cleaner and keep from having oil splatter in your airbox.

jbonz
11-08-2008, 09:04 AM
I followed the directions and was happy with the results. Seems much smoother now, open airbox is next. Hope warranty isn't too sticky....

Roccodart440
11-09-2008, 01:14 AM
I just finished mine today. I also opened up the uppper airbox cover. It made a big difference in the smoothness, throttle response and power.

MONSTER
11-09-2008, 12:40 PM
so i was just looking at the manual an i think that i need to check the routing of my exhaust cable relay.the manual says that if its not routed behind the frame plug it will hinder proper performance.

Roccodart440
11-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I can't believe the difference in power smoothness ande reponsivness.

mrdozer2you
11-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Monster- go for about a 30min ride, preferrably expressway if possible ( easier to keep a constant RPM for an extended time ) Your ECM needs to re-learn that its not getting exhaust gasses. [up]

MONSTER
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
thanks mrdozer. any target range to keep or is it just a constant rpm?

oxygen151
11-10-2008, 03:25 PM
3200-3500 RPM range is where the ECM will re-learn.

Roccodart440
11-10-2008, 09:06 PM
I just drove mine. It seemed fine. I have the race ECU

mrdozer2you
11-11-2008, 01:10 PM
any target range to keep or is it just a constant rpm?

I just go for a constant RPM/speed

3200-3500 RPM range is where the ECM will re-learn.

Tried that too...didnt seem to work ( not that im saying its wrong ) just didnt work for me and kinda hard to do. Expressway is much easier, and works for me everytime.

MONSTER
11-19-2008, 01:03 AM
yeah i tried the highway aproach but i live in houston and there is no such thing as open road or constant speeds here. just gonna hook her up to my buddy's ECM spy and then use his programs to remap.

2003buellxb9s
11-19-2008, 07:03 PM
I haven't noticed any of the oily mess others have described in their airboxes nor the popping etc. at low rpms... Is this mod only beneficial for those with upgraded ECM's or perhaps newer models?

...cause I'm dying to play with my bike and this is seems cheap and easy.

Odin
12-03-2008, 01:37 AM
I finally did this today! Immediate difference in how smooth it is at low RPMs. Completely worth the $20 and 30 mins I spent working on it!!
[up] to Dozer :)

I've never noticed any oily residue in the airbox, but did it anyway mostly to help out the stuttering and popping, though it wasn't happening to me very often compared to what others have said on here.

And I routed my hose forward down beside the oil cooler, put the breather right behind it, and a bare drain hose behind the chin spoiler and exits right next to the kickstand bracket.

Poohspot18
12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
That's Exactly what I did. Out the front, down by the Oil Cooler, in behind the Chin and tucked the end right under the Kickstand Hanger. if it drips it drips right on the Ground and my Hose and Filter are a Nifty Blue!

Odin
12-04-2008, 01:57 AM
I went with the Red breather filter, since it matches the color scheme, just black rubber hose though..

lighting
12-12-2008, 03:17 AM
Does anyone knows if I can just use a inline gas filter with a shut-off valve in the bottom that can be drained from time to time or does the line needs a way breath in and out because if I do it this way it will no be possible to inhale. It's my understanding that this will only drain but perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can shed some light.

Stevenc150
12-12-2008, 04:16 AM
Some say it breathes in AND out, some say only In, some say only Out. I planned for all and ran my breather filter off the main drain line with a "T" connector, and left my drain line end just hanging. No probs so far.

Roccodart440
12-12-2008, 12:24 PM
IMO it only breathes out.

nitto12ss
12-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Has anybody done this mod on a CA speck bike, and if so is there any additional alterations that need to be done? My only real concern is that things might routed differently because of the charcoal canister.
Thanks

lighting
12-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Already done, it seems that corrected some hesitation that the engine had specially when cold. When I get a chance will post some pictures.

dodge
12-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Run my 12S in open loop config. This mod did seem to smooth out the idle even better.

CoastieRider
12-27-2008, 06:43 PM
is there supposed to be a little bit of smoke coming out of the breather hoses when its running? i never noticed it before, just want to make sure it's ok..

Nationals
01-25-2009, 04:11 AM
Just thought I would share my photo's with everyone since none of this would be possible without buellxb.com and all its members. I did a little breather reroute and after a lot of reading and searching on this site I never really found a store in my area that related to anyone's postings. So heres my parts and where I bought them. Breather filter (autozone 9.99) 1/2" brass tees used for pex waterline (lowes 1.59 ea. I think) 5/8 stainless hose clamps (lowes 2 fer a buck) 4' 5/8 standard pressure fuel line (autozone 1 something a foot) and the last thing on my list I am still looking for. In my pictures you'll notice I dont have a cap on the hose that will catch the dirty residue and thats becasue I am looking for a 3/8" brass plug. (gonna check back to autozone tomorrow) Also need to put an additional strap on that hose so it wont come loose and flop around while riding. All of you wondering why I have 1/2" tees on my list thats because I wanted a true 3/8 throughout the whole system. Though the 3/8" tees are good they only give you a quarter inch ID VS the 3/8" ID you'll get out of a 1/2" tee. Also the 5/8 rubber fuel line along with a drop of soap (or lube) will stretch over the 1/2 tee so tight you really dont even need hose clamps. The little breather filter will stretch over the 1/2" tee as well and since it have rubber ribs on the inside of the connector the its hard to even pry off the pex tee. So I hope I dont get picked on too badly for using household plumbing parts on my buell but hey its brass and it works and I believe it looks good. It started up and sounds like it runs fine but since its about 3 degrees outside and couldn't get the bike out of the driveway with the snow the test ride will have to wait. Thanks in advance for any suggestions to unforeseen problems I may have. P.S. Because I am one of thoes people that when I change something I keep all the original parts in the attic I did not cut the factory hoses just for whatever reason it needs to go back to the factory setup. I didnt see that it was a problem at all not reusing the prebent hoses.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j272/Jmv830/mymod1.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j272/Jmv830/mymod2.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j272/Jmv830/mymod3.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j272/Jmv830/mymod4-1.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j272/Jmv830/mymod5-1.jpg

Stevenc150
01-26-2009, 02:41 AM
Congrats on the mod and nice write-up. Just a minor thing, might hit enter after loading each picture so it's more of a vertical post than a horizontal....makes following it a lot easier. Anyways, nice job. [up]

Edit: Just curious, how'd he keep from getting the Buellxb logo on his pics?

NewB
03-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Thank you to everybody for the great write up. I will do the modification this weekend.

Thaloc
03-06-2009, 04:28 AM
Just curious, how'd he keep from getting the Buellxb logo on his pics?
He's hosting his pics from photobucket not BuellXB. I had to start doing the same as my local riders forum doesn't like advertisement without sponsorship.
I also got that exact same blue filter. Looks sweet on my white/blue firebolt.

Buell_Cru
03-06-2009, 05:03 AM
Just finished mine an hour ago.

Top View 1
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2792_20090305225553_L.jpg

Top View 2
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2792_20090305225612_L.jpg

Top View 3
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2792_20090305225603_L.jpg

Side View behind Oil Cooler
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2792_20090305225620_L.jpg

Side View Behind Oil Cooler 2
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2792_20090305225638_L.jpg

I ran the drain behind the oil cooler in then down behind the chin fairing so the drain won't show. You have to remove the chin fairing to change the oil anyway so I figured that would be the perfect opportunity to drain it.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2792_20090305225629_L.jpg

Last is the filter
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2792_20090305225647_L.jpg

Buell_Cru
03-07-2009, 02:42 AM
I rode my bike for the first time since I did the mod last night.

Huge difference in my bike. I rode for 45 minutes today. No hiccup off the line, very smooth low speed and I do notice a power difference. I don't mean power difference as much as I mean throttle response.

Question:

I could not find a spot to bring my breather hose through from the front to the back of the bike and I noticed there was a perfect little spot towards the back of the primary so I squeezed it in between the frame and primary case. I used a rubber 3/8ID fuel line. Will this line melt sitting on the primary case? Also by doing this there is a belly in the line between the drip leg and the filter. Does anyone think that the line may accumulate moisture riding in cold weather?

Thanks in advance...:)

Thaloc
03-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Heres how I routed my hose directly from the airbox back through the subframe.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2043_20090306205439_L.jpg

only1reds
03-07-2009, 06:24 AM
A really quick question. What size on the Air Breather intake, 12mm etc?

Buell_Cru
03-07-2009, 02:55 PM
For the filter or hose? All my fittings and hose were 3/8 inch. I'm not sure what the conversion is.

only1reds
03-07-2009, 04:12 PM
For the small breather filter. Since all the line is 3/8 inch, what size does the intake/nozzle on the breather filter have to be to fit flush into pipe?

Thaloc
03-07-2009, 05:02 PM
ya the rubber stretches a bit

Buell_Cru
03-07-2009, 09:27 PM
I used a 3/8 X 3/8 barbed coupling.

only1reds
03-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Awesome, I've completed the breather re-route & full open airbox today.

Talk about a huge difference in smoothness under 3k rpm.

Thanks Mrdoozer and everyone else that had input on this thread[up]

only1reds
03-08-2009, 09:25 AM
sorry dozer, mispelled your name. thanks buddy

vitor_br
04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
A lot of information. Great topic!
But I still have few doubts, propably newbie doubts!

1. I use a K&N air filter, doing this mod I'll have to put back the stock or I can run the K&N?
and 2. That black plastic airbox cover, can I still have it or it won't fit anymore? (Athough I think it will look better without.

Little help! Thx guys!

Vitor from Brazil

Stevenc150
04-13-2009, 04:49 PM
1) This mod makes it so the crankcase breather hoses are no longer routed through your airbox. Doesn't matter; stock or K&N, airbox or no airbox, this mod is applicable.

2) You can either mod the airbox, or do a complete airbox delete getting rid of inner cover. Here's some reading material:

Airbox Cover Removed (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Removing-the-airbox-AND-the-cover), Airbox Mods (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/Airbox-Mods), and Airbox Mods 2 (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/Air-Box-Mods)

vitor_br
04-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Thank you StevenC!
I've read all the reading material. So I guess I can remove all the black plastic cover (flat one under the air-filter), the current air-filter and the the black plastic air-box cover (bubble like)and it should do no harm at all!
I'll be doing the re-route mode this week!
thx again!

Stevenc150
04-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Glad to help Vitor. :)

mcanavan69
07-08-2009, 07:57 PM
should I reset my TPS after doing this? Will it make a difference?

toddb3
07-08-2009, 10:15 PM
From what I understand, every time you perform any modification a TPS reset should follow.

Stevenc150
07-09-2009, 02:30 AM
should I reset my TPS after doing this?No, the breather re-route isn't a "big" enough mod to affect the air/fuel value.

Phookajoe
07-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Okay Okay,

If you haven't done this mod yet, I don't know what's stopping you.
I was having sluggish performance on my 08 9. It has 28000 k on it. I was also having the 4500 rpm gap issue. I spent $50 bucks at my local lordco then took about 45 min to zap it together.

I added some fuel injector cleaner and went for a ride. The first day nothing really noticeable. However the next day I started her up and was surprise how much softer (for a lack of a better word) the idle was. The power was not increase, but the role up to redline was very consistent.

Wicked mod, easy and worth the money. Thanks for the idea.

Now has anyone done this mod with flare? I would love to see some photos if so...

Varner
09-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Just completed the mod. It is to easy.

marko138
09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm doing this next week. Can't wait.

buellman09
10-04-2009, 09:08 PM
ok, so i did this last night, and everything went fine, but my only question is...when you are plugging the holes in the lower air box, if you use the left over tube, do you route it threw the 2 holes with the opening of the tubes facing up, or down facing under the lower air box? I did it with them down, and started thinking about it after i put it back together. so any help would be great.

thanks.

Stevenc150
10-05-2009, 03:53 AM
Put them with the open ends facing up that way there's no possible way for it to get sucked into the intake. With the open ends down, it could, theoretically, be pulled out by the engine sucking air. I'd switch it just cause I like the peace of mind in knowing. ;)

marko138
10-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Did mine a couple days ago. Put 415 miles on it. Absolutely no change in the way it runs. Just some clear **** coming out of the drain every so often.

buellman09
10-05-2009, 09:28 PM
cool, thanks man. got it switched.

konarider94
10-05-2009, 11:31 PM
everytime i go to drain mine water comes out. ive only drained it twice but it seems awkward. I wonder if water is getting in my tube because i mounted the breather in that hole area under the seat. the roads have been wet here recently.

marko138
10-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Water comes out of mine too. And my breather filter is right behind the oil cooler.

konarider94
10-06-2009, 05:49 PM
where does the water come from?

50dro
10-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Condensation?????

My filter is behind the oil cooler too. I did this mod a about a week ago and haven't been in the rain since. I've checked it twice since and a bit of water comes out...

Baal
11-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Okay. I've read this whole thread, and a lot of it twice. I believe that it helps the way the engine runs; why it works isn't that important. But, I have a question as to how the filter is being set up: http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5127_20091106072711_L.jpg

First, tell me if I misunderstand the basic layout: I gather that there's a vent/breather line from each cylinder that vents crankcase gases to the airbox. The modification is to route these out of the airbox, correct? In the diagram, I show a hose from each cylinder, connected at "Tee 1". Another hose runs from that Tee to Tee 2, where the filter is attached. The purpose of the filter is to prevent debris from being able to go back upstream and into the engine. From the remaining branch of the tee, a hose is either routed to drain/vent, or is put into a catch can. Correct me if I've got this wrong.

Here's where it appears to me that it goes off the rails. At "Tee 2," there should be no difference in the supposed vacuum on either side of the tee. In fact, there should be more resistance to vacuum through the filter than through the open end. So, unless there's a check valve downstream of the filter (at point "X") that prevents air from being drawn in from that direction, there's no reason that the filter does anything at all. It might get dirty, since at that point in the system, outflow pressure is equal, and the oily gases will get pushed through from the inside, but it seems that not much is going to get drawn through from the outside. To close the system and make the filter functional, it seems that you need to cap the "drain" line.

If I've completely missed the bus, please let me know.

Stevenc150
11-06-2009, 04:11 PM
I've seen them run with no filter and no reported problems. Personally, even with no proof of function, I ran with a filter since it looks to be the general consensus to use it And I thought it looked kinda cool. ;)

Rinky
11-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Okay - I have this on my short list of mods I need to make quick. But my question is.... what do us folks from California do with that Butt ugly charcoal canister on the left side? Any cheat notes on how to strip that stuff out in conjunction with the filter mod?
[confused]

odo2451
12-27-2009, 10:46 PM
ok, well i went down to the garage and did some digging and found the chubby air kit that i never got round to fitting.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg232/odo2451/photo1.jpg
it looks like a better version to the ones show, replacing the hose and plastic stopper with a chrome collection tank. just to need to find a place to mount it, im thinking under the tank cover.
so with that said im going to do the mod and also do the removal of the top airbox cover too.
im thinking i can do this and by what i read a 25-30 min ride after for the computer to get to grips is called for.
wish me luck guys!

spor_xb12r
01-10-2010, 11:36 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4796_20100110173536_L.jpg

took no time at all :)

Defender88
03-01-2010, 02:17 PM
so you cut a spot in the line, add a T, run tubing from that T to the rear by the swing arm and add a filter?

Stevenc150
03-01-2010, 02:23 PM
so you cut a spot in the line, add a T, run tubing from that T to the rear by the swing arm and add a filter? There's 2 lines coming out of the heads that will go into the T. That T to the rear placing a T and filter somewhere along the way, and ending with a catch can, drain end, or nothing. (Mine is left open with the end zip tied under my left side driver's footpeg)

Many different ways to do it, here's a method with Pics: Breather Reroute (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-To-Crank-Case-Breather-Mod-with-pics)

Defender88
03-01-2010, 02:51 PM
here is what it looks like

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/AndrewMack/DSCF2561.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/AndrewMack/DSCF2562.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/AndrewMack/DSCF2569.jpg

Defender88
03-01-2010, 03:02 PM
ok the hose circled in red just goes up near my oil cooler.. apparently the previous owner attempted this mod but idk if its done right
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/AndrewMack/DSCF2561-1.jpg there is also a hose coming from the crank case that goes up near the shock. do i connect these two lines with the little filter?

Stevenc150
03-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Looks like it's done. He just decided not to use the little air filter in-line for venting. Some have used that method with no problems.

Only thing is I didn't want the "stuff" coming out of the hose and dripping/blowing up under my bike on the muffler or rear tire. That's why I ran mine to the rear and up and under the footpeg. Course you could put a plug in the end and drain as needed leaving the mod as-is.

Defender88
03-01-2010, 04:58 PM
well I am going to add the inline filter and catch can. the hose coming from my crankcase... does anything get done with that?

Defender88
03-01-2010, 05:25 PM
well mine still has the hesitation and sputtering at low RPM. I added a catch can and am waiting for napa to get in the filter. hopefully this will help some.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/AndrewMack/photo3.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/AndrewMack/photo2.jpg

nativeXb12Rbuell
03-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Baal your first ?; the filter is to vent those gases to the outside of the crankcase and yes to prevent any debris from getting sucked into the rocker cover (valve cover).
maybe i dont understand your second Question but, without a filter to let the gases ESCAPE from the crankcase or vented back into the air intake to be burned in the combustion chamber,, it would build up excessive pressure in the crankcase and also cause poor idle , it is a pcv valve just like on your car either vented to the outside atmosphere or vented back into air intake (pcv valve uses vacuum from the intake manifold to draw the fumes from the crankcase).the thing is that the oil mist and any condensation is suposed to drain back and return to the crankcase through oil passageways in the cylinder head, That's how it 's designed to work , but if they are fine enough ( small enough atomized) the they flow with the gases from the crankcase up through the hose and back into the air intake to be burned in the combustion chamber,( this for EPA emissions regulation to keep crankcases gases from causing any air more pollution but those crankcase gases dont burn very well and is not ideal for your engine to operate at its best , and the burning of thoses crankcase gases and the oil mist and condensation has an effect on how well your engine runs and causes it to actually get bad fuel ecomony ) or if you have this mod the gases escape to the outside of the crankcase and the oil and condensation flow from gravity to the catch can or drain . with this mod there is no real vacuum pulling the gases from the crancase just vented to the out side air presure which is less pressure than in the crankcase and /or rocker covers there for it vents the gases to the outside atmosphere air.

nativeXb12Rbuell
03-01-2010, 07:13 PM
from the service manual:
Crankcase Breathing System ,see fig.3-114. Presure created in the flywheel area on the piston downstroke is released through the REED VALVE into the gear case. From there a mixtre of crankcase air and oil mist is vented up the push rod covers to the upper rocker box(top of head).
see fig.3-115. Air is allowed to escape the rocker boxes by exiting the postive crankcase vent(PCV) valves(4)
locatedon top of the rocker boxes (top of rocker cover/valve cover).From the PCV valves the air enters the crankcase breather hoses(2,& 3). The crankcase breather hoses route through the air cleaner base plate (1) to the air box where it isdirected inside the air filter element and back into the engine. the oil mist collects and eventually returns to the crankcase through oil passageways in the cylinder heads. that how it is originally designed to work. maybe that might help you understand it somewhat better. see figures below..

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1714_20100301130857_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1714_20100301130925_L.jpg

nativeXb12Rbuell
03-01-2010, 07:16 PM
odo2451 i like your filter and catch can combo , where did you buy that at ?

Stevenc150
03-01-2010, 07:21 PM
the hose coming from my crankcase... does anything get done with that?Is the hose your talking about not in the pics you put up?

Also, I'd take some length off of hose #3 and swap hoses #1 & #2. Hose #1 looks like it might be crimped close (or maybe it's camera angle).
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2339_20100301131748_L.jpg

Defender88
03-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I did shorten those up some but I didnt read this post before i put the bike back together so I didnt get a chance to switch 1 and 2. on the side of the engine, just above the foot brake there is a 3/8" hose coming directly out of the crank case, it goes up near the airbox then under the seat and is zip tied to my rear spring

Defender88
03-01-2010, 10:49 PM
overall this made no difference :(

Defender88
03-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Will adding the filter make any difference or is it just being open ok?

Stevenc150
03-02-2010, 03:00 AM
That's a point of argument. Just to be safe and I thought it looked kinda cool, I put one on mine.

If I remember right, mine has the crankcase hose zip-tied to the shock too. I'll have to check. If it is, they come from the factory like that since nothing was done to mine until I got it. Either way, this mod doesn't involve that particular hose.

nativeXb12Rbuell
03-02-2010, 05:45 AM
with the hose from breather mod is left open with no catch can it will eventually leak the oil mist and condensation from the crankcase gases and leak all over or below where ever it is tied to , . plus it leaves the Possibility of something like bugs or dust getting up into the rocker boxes, a catch can and filter will prevent that. if the hose is capped off or plugged up without a filter to let the gases escape or vented back into the air intake, it would build up excessive pressure in the crankcase and also cause poor idle.

Defender88
03-02-2010, 01:23 PM
right now mine has a catch can and is T'd from there with a long hose running down the side of the bike to my swing arm. this mod has not helped with the low RPM stutter

Defender88
03-02-2010, 11:46 PM
well instead of the long hose running down to the swing arm I just stuck the filter on the T. here is what it looks like but still no benefit from doing this mod, does it take a while to notice it?

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/AndrewMack/photo.jpg

dallasb
03-03-2010, 12:26 AM
When i did the reroute on mine I noticed it right away. I have an xb9 but it helped tremendously with the low end surging. I can lug the bike down to around 1900 before it starts to buck like it used to at around 2900.

Defender88
03-03-2010, 12:39 AM
yea mine does not run like that at all. I dread going into a parking lot to search for a spot, im in 1st gear feather the clutch and revving the engine. agghh

dallasb
03-03-2010, 01:34 AM
Defender are you sure that the hose isn't kinked somewhere?

Defender88
03-03-2010, 01:55 AM
i just redid the hoses and i rode for about 20miles,no difference in the ride but a small amount of stinky oil/water in the catch can

nativeXb12Rbuell
03-03-2010, 04:05 AM
double check hoses for kinks or cloged in the hoses, or clogged pcv valves on top of the rocker boxes . and the holes in air intake plate next to the air filter that you plugged up for the mod check them to make sure there not leaking unfiltered humid air(or lots of moisture) into intake, but would cause more problems than the rough low rpm.

nkaperry
03-03-2010, 04:52 AM
So I found a catch can that I liked and made the addition to my original crankcase breather mod.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5550_20100302183738_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5550_20100302183825_L.jpg

I used an old wrench for the bracket. Here it is before being bent to fit.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5550_20100302183648_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5550_20100302183715_L.jpg

Here it is installed to fit
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5550_20100302183715_L.jpg

The bottom of the original catch can had a pressure release that wasn't sealed 100%. I broke that off and JB Welded a penny at the bottom of the catch can.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5550_20100302183905_L.jpg

As you can tell some ingenuity was used to make this happen. Take your time and put some thought into your mods to make them original!

PERRY

303xb
03-19-2010, 01:08 AM
just did this mod..THANK YOU for the clear instructions. I'm not much of a gearhead so i was worried about doing this at first...SO glad that I did.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4182/25797374855588732758648.jpg

AMAZING DIFFERENCE from 0-3k RPM and no backfire at all.

I tucked mine up and almost totally hidden. Need to add a catch can or block the hose before a logn ride, anyone know wtf I can use to block the hose other than a catch can??

aptbldr
03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
or block the hose before a logn ride,
Off-road riding = logn ride?

303xb
03-19-2010, 03:04 PM
long ride=long ride...as is long ride

nativeXb12Rbuell
03-19-2010, 09:23 PM
check my breather reroute mod it might give you some ideals to catch can or filter placement or something..
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-To-Crank-Case-Breather-Mod-with-pics/9/

Riderdie
04-27-2010, 01:49 AM
Not sure if ive seen one of these for a catch can.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6655_20100426184610_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6655_20100426184615_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6655_20100426184517_L.jpg

Just put it on, havnt figured out what to use as a removable plug for the bottom.

Riderdie
04-27-2010, 04:47 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6655_20100427094401_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6655_20100427094420_L.jpg

Finished it, Hopefully it doesn't fall off. A little heavy!

GW 04 XB12R
04-28-2010, 08:41 PM
nkaperry, did you get the water separator from Harbor Freight Tools? I did this last month, and my whole set up looks almost identical to yours. Use some aluminum flat stock for the mounting bracket. couple bends, couple holes, little paint, and that's it! i painted the clear cup flat black, with a 0.5" wide clear strip remaining so I can see the level, but it also hides better. oh, and if you take apart the valve on the bottom, put the spring on the outside, and put the clip on, it seals up nice! lovin' it!

nkaperry
05-07-2010, 01:48 AM
GW04- I got the water separator from the local Home Depot. I believe almost any tool shop should have it in the tool/compressor section. I need to do something with the catch can because it has gotten all ugly, off colored and nasty looking...hard to tell where the level is but i just make sure to check it regularly.

Bossanova
07-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Check engine light on now?? 2009 XB12Scg

Just did a Breather re-route and the ASB airbox lid mod. The muffler actuator had already been dis-connected because the PO had installed a Jardine. Now the airbox lid has been eliminated (along with the actuator), the actuator has been unplugged. Is this causing the check engine light? If so, is the a resistor plug to be used like on the 1125R denoid??

bryanbuell
08-01-2010, 12:19 AM
This mod is WELL WORTH the cost!! Much easier than it sounds too. Much cleaner ride under 3000rpms

everythingwastaken
08-01-2010, 08:15 AM
I did it on mine and it didn't change a thing.

rishardh
08-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Got a question on this Mod. When you T the two breather hoses from the cylinders wont it push air from one cylinder to the other?

Pockets
08-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Bwahahahaha. Grenade! Lovin it Riderdie![up]:D

vroom
08-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Grenade = Rideanddie
[up][up]

Riderdie
08-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Hahaha, thanks guys!!
Really turns heads at stop lights.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6655_20100820145735_L.jpg

Second one I've done, hasn't blown up yet. :D Wooh

mrdozer2you
09-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Thread is still going...sweeeeet [cool]

DrogeN Omen
09-29-2010, 04:08 PM
nice one

gona have to do this mod...

stewart2
10-11-2010, 10:31 AM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/7038_20101011042605_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/7038_20101011042501_L.jpg

stewart2
10-11-2010, 10:32 AM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/7038_20101011042731_L.jpg

I didnt want to copy the last one to much but I loved the idea!

rishardh
10-11-2010, 12:11 PM
When you T the two breather hoses from the cylinders wont it push air from one cylinder to the other?

Riderdie
10-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Looks great stewart! Copy away!
Suckers r heavy aren't they.

stewart2
10-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Yes they are! I'm thinking about putting one on the other side, right across from it just for looks. And it does turn heads, especially going on bases.:D

Petrus
10-20-2010, 12:23 AM
@ rishardh

When you T the two breather hoses from the cylinders wont it push air from one cylinder to the other? ''

That is why i used a Y-connection, so the flow has to go downwards.

BuellSki
03-13-2011, 10:29 PM
What would happen if I put a catch can before the filter. Not after. I'm not to mechanically inclined.

EZRider
08-31-2011, 01:48 AM
Could a person use fuel vapor hose instead of transmission oil cooler hose for this type of application? I understand the transmission oil cooler hose can withstand higher temperatures (~300F as opposed to ~250F) and higher pressures then the fuel vapor hose, but it doesn't appear there will be a large amount of hot oil running through this hose...

Stevenc150
08-31-2011, 11:19 AM
What would happen if I put a catch can before the filter. Not after. I'm not to mechanically inclined.It'd be fine as I've seen many with the filter mounted on the catchcan itself.

Could a person use fuel vapor hose instead of transmission oil cooler hose for this type of application? Why when rubber fuel line is black and cheap.

EZRider
08-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Why when rubber fuel line is black and cheap.

Well, I already have 5ft of 3/8" black rubber fuel line (i.e., fuel vapor hose) and I'm wondering if that will work, or if I will need to hunt down some "transmission oil cooler hose." Both types of hoses look the same on the outside, its the inside thats different. I'm wondering if the black rubber fuel line will be exposed to temperatures around 300F.

Stevenc150
09-01-2011, 07:22 AM
You had me confused as most of the "fuel vapor lines" I've seen were small diam. and steel. The fuel line is what I used and have had no probs whatsoever - just be concious of your routing and you'll be fine.

EZRider
09-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Just did the modification yesterday. Worked out great. Loving the smoothness.

tedstang
02-29-2012, 09:04 AM
im so damn confused you guys make everything so hard to understand!!!! let me make sure i got this right you take the 2 hoses, connect them to a y pipe then run a line off that to the rear with a filter mounted somwhere on the line? now my question is do i need a filter and catch can. i see if you have a catch can you need a filter but i just did mine and havent started it up yet because i have no filter or catch can just a line with both hoses running to the back.[confused]

jeffb
04-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Just thought i would add a couple pictures of how i did mine. I ran them to the front and did a filter and a plug. The plug is just a large bolt that was the perfect size to fit in the line nice and snug. The line runs to the front, down, and through the little opening on the bracket for the oil cooler. This way, the line doesn't require any zip ties to hold it in place. Also, the filter is then tucked nicely out of view between the oil cooler and the motor.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/7257_20120421103059_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/7257_20120421103206_L.jpg

I covered the chrome of the filter with black duct tape considering nothing else on my bike is chrome.

ny_driver
06-24-2012, 04:36 PM
A 5/8" tee doesn't even come close to fitting inside of the 2 hoses in the airbox you need to connect together with the 1st tee.

So I put the bike back together now and go back to the store.

We'll try 3/8" this time.

ny_driver
06-24-2012, 08:32 PM
So....after going and getting some 3/8" hose and T's in my truck, I was able to finish the project.

I think it feels smoother in 1st gear for sure.

Here you can see how I spliced my hoses.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/12936_20120624141018_L.jpg
How I plugged the holes.http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/12936_20120624141223_L.jpg
How it looks finished.http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/12936_20120624141559_L.jpg
How the chrome filter matches my aluminum Jardine close enough for me.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/12936_20120624141849_L.jpg

paolosica
10-27-2012, 07:02 PM
I did this a little differently. Run both breathers into one 3/8" line with a T, then ran the fuel evaporator hose into another T (it fits snugly into the the 3/8" line, or you could use an adapter) and ran them both down into the original fuel overflow pipe, which exits neatly at a stock location. Very clean, no added dangling hoses/parts. Need only three new parts from True Value, and a bunch of zip ties:

1. 2x 3/8" nylon Ts.
2. 1x 3/8" to 1/4" 'mender' adapter.

No extra 3/8" fuel line, no 'catch can' or breather filter. Used the original 2x 3/8" hoses, and had some left over.

[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img441/3315/img9108p.th.jpg] (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/img9108p.jpg/)
[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img198/6126/img9106q.th.jpg] (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/img9106q.jpg/)
[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img94/6621/img9105d.th.jpg] (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/img9105d.jpg/)

jamason_2000
06-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Just did this and noticed one hell of a difference. Thanks for the write up![up]

snrusnak
06-20-2013, 05:50 PM
I know paolosica's post is very old but I just got to say I recommend this mod is not done the way he did it. When there is a fuel overflow, it could back up into the engine. I know, It will flow down hill and the breathers are one way valves, but it's just not a good idea. There is a chance fuel will get in to the crankcase. Just fair warning.