PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearings?

03fire9r
04-24-2009, 02:00 AM
So I am having my tire changed and balanced this weekend so I went to pull the rear wheel off the bike tonight and found that my right rear wheel bearing was absolutely distroyed.. like missing half of the balls and seal off...

just wondering if this is a common issue or what.

03 XB9R with 6700 miles. just replaced the belt about 500 miles ago and the bearing looked fine then????

Thanks, Matt

dereckxb9r
05-06-2009, 05:36 PM
well seing how its a sealed bearing, there really is no maint. you can do to it. some how water could have leaked in a rusted the balls until one finalley let go. the bearing could have just seazed up. nothing you can really do to those bearings to prevent any future damage. replace both bearings in the real wheel, you should be fine. just a freak thing maybe.

BuellPartsGuy
05-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Depending on what color the seal is on the bearing, they had an updated design to install in your bike. If the seal color is black, replace them. That is the old design. If the seal color is orange, that is the new design. Just replaced the rears.

LeFox
05-06-2009, 07:42 PM
yea, all '03 had recalls on those bearings...

jreinke
06-06-2009, 05:59 AM
can u see these without takingthe tires off?

Buell_Cru
06-06-2009, 01:44 PM
can u see these without takingthe tires off?

Maybe this is a dumb question but,
"Have you walked out to your bike and looked"?

Overall the tire shouldn't need to come off to see a bearing but you may need to remove the wheel.