PDA

View Full Version : Hyper Flashing/Blinking

FIDOSOL
04-25-2009, 09:58 AM
I was just wondering what the negative side of Hyper Flashing/Blinking is. The increased flash rate won't bother me as it just adds to the visibility of my bike when I want to make a turn. But will it cause any electrical issues or anything like that if I don't correct it? Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I buy new turn signals.

Tork
04-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Fido,

Sounds like you still have the stock thermal flasher with LED blinkers (resulting in the hyper flashing). Correct? Since the thermal flasher is a electro-mechanical device, it might wear out faster because of the increased duty time, but otherwise it shouldn't cause any other problems.

FIDOSOL
04-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Actually I just have the stock turn signals, just doing my research before I get my new signals is all. If it does wear it out then I'll go from there I guess. Thanks.

Tork
04-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Since you're in the research phase of upgrading...

You can avoid the hyper flashing altogether by upgrading your stock flasher with the Grote 44893 relay at American Sportbike (Link: http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/16086.html.)

I believe an EP-36 relay from Autozone, O'Reilly, NAPA, etc. will also work.

FIDOSOL
04-25-2009, 04:23 PM
I will do that if hyper flashing turns out to have any long term negative effects. If not then I won't, I would prefer the faster flash rate as it would attract attention to my while I'm riding/turning and hopefully keep the cagers from not seeing me. Thank you for the information though, I will definately keep it in mind.

ophawk
04-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Fido,
I have had leds on mine for over two years without negative affects as far as I can tell. I left thw stock flasher for the same reason, hyper flashing - more attention for the cager's
Later

FIDOSOL
04-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks ophawk.

hoss
04-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Hey fidosol, just put an around 20 ohms resistance in parallel (between your two flashers wire). Try to put one with the more watt you can get ( around 50w is good ) cause it will heat up fast. Will work as new after!!!!

TechMagic
06-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Just adding to this, I put a 20w 8 ohm non-inductive resistor in parallel with each of my rear blinkers (in an LED all-around situation) and the system works like a charm now. The highest wattage I could find was 20 so that's what I went with.

RyBuell
06-27-2009, 10:06 PM
I know this post is old: but i wanted to add my two cents. I've been rolled twice now, once in CA and the other in NV, both times for what I was told was "illegal flash rates"...Same thing has happened to me in cars too. I slapped a resistor on as Tech says and I've been good to go with no 5.0 problems since.