PDA

View Full Version : New member, looking at an '09 12R, got some questions!

TeamHennis
02-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here, but I've been creeping on this site for a while and learning a lot. I'm looking to get an XB soon and I have a few questions. Just going to apologize now for the rambling and tons of questions to follow.. Anyways, I was looking for a 9sx, but an '09 12r came up for sale locally and I'm strongly considering getting it. My reasons for wanting the 9sx was comforts and I love the short tail, but 12r doesn't look too bad and is priced pretty good (more on that later). I'm very mechanically inclined and have been riding for a while and owned a bunch of different bikes, so I'm not afraid at all of working on things.

So, first question:
How comfortable is the R vs the SX for passenger comfort? My wife likes riding, but didn't enjoy my cbr too much when I had it. The R seems to have a little more upright riding position than a CBR/GSXR/etc, but not as much as an SX. I realize that clipons can be swapped for bars and the tails can be swapped (or a custom tail can be made, which I'm thinking of doing anyways), so everything is possible. I wouldn't be doing any swaps or custom building right away and don't want the wife to get a bad first impression of the bike, if that makes sense.

Next question:
The bike I'm looking at is an '09 12r with <7K miles on it. Needs a front tire and has some exhaust issues. It was straight piped by owner before the current owner. The current owner has had issues with the exhaust studs falling out of the head. How hard is it to replace the rear studs? Is it necessary to rotate the motor? What can I do to keep them from falling out again? I'm assuming the straight pipe is a crappy diy type and the front or rear mounts are messed up or missing. He also has no idea if it was tuned or not.

Last question:
The asking price for the bike is $3000. The guy has been trying to sell it for almost 3 weeks now, without success. Given the issues (front tire and exhaust studs/straight pipe), is this a decent price? I'm sure I can get it for less than the $3000, but I wanted to hear what y'all thought of the price.

Sorry for the super long post. Depending on what you guys say, I might be a proud new Buell owner this weekend! Thanks!

UMDterp13
02-12-2015, 07:08 PM
An 09 for $3k. Grab it. Yes pretty much need to drop motor for exhaust work.

That's the best way. It's not hard at all... I had a guy try to buy a good 09 for $3k. We pretty much laugh at those offers on east coast.

Is the bike in question in MO by chance? There was a guy trying to sell his there for $3ish in December.

sewerman
02-12-2015, 07:14 PM
The 12r is a sport bike, pure and simple. The rear perch is small and high and hard. Will not be a long distance hauler for a passenger. Don't get me wrong, I love when a sport bike goes by with the young hiney sticking up off of the rear but a Gold Wing its not. Unless I am wrong you will need to rotate the engine for rear stud access. Actually I hope I am wrong and this forum will be quick to tell me!!! Lol. Do you know any knowlegable Buell owners in your area that could look at it with you? There are LOTS of folks here who will "chime in" and help you more than I. Welcome to the weird and wacky world of BUELL!

TeamHennis
02-12-2015, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I figured the $3K price was pretty good. I know the 12r is a sportbike and won't ever be a goldwing, but I don't think I'm old enough to buy a goldwing or even a Harley lol. There is an '08 9sx in the same town for $2800, but the seller barely responds to emails and I can't get a phone # from him or anything. I'm trying to be patient, but I want a Buell pretty bad...

Sewerman, as far as buell owners in the area, I don't personally know any and have only seen one Buell in town ever. I've owned a fair amount of bikes in the last 3 years (23 or 24, I've lost count) so I know what to look for in general when it comes to bikes. I don't mind having to do the motor rotation, just wanted to know so I could use it to bargain with the seller for a better price.

neilrl79
02-12-2015, 09:08 PM
3k is a great price for an '09 if the only thing wrong is that it needs exhaust work.

My 2ยข:
I would wait and try to find the exact bike you want and not settle on one that is kind of what you want.

Gloomshadow
02-12-2015, 09:30 PM
for me, 2-up on the R or the S was like pulling teeth.. I took the co-rider pegs off and mothballed them. For the co-rider I don't think the R was too bad depending on what size gal we are talking about.. for me it was 5 feet tall 90 pounders.. they didn't mind the ride back there.

buellerchris
02-12-2015, 10:01 PM
The R is more rider friendly when it comes to space. If I were you, I would look around for a XB12SS. They have a two inch longer wheelbase which allows for its longer seat and you would have the upright position of the SX.

$3,000 is a steal for a 09 12r or any 09 buell for that matter. Heck that is what most people want for a 2009 blast.

For the exhaust issue, plan on rotating the motor. I've never had to do it yet, but it doesn't sound like an all day affair.

UMDterp13
02-13-2015, 12:09 AM
2hr maybe 3. With hand tools

TeamHennis
02-16-2015, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up buying an '08 XB9SX with 10k on it this weekend. If anyone is interested in the 12R, its in the Montgomery AL craigslist.

UMDterp13
02-17-2015, 12:41 AM
Pics or didn't happen :) I'll say good choice.