PDA

View Full Version : "oil" leak?

architech
04-26-2009, 08:10 PM
OK guys... so I've had my XB12s for 2 years now, but i still consider myseld a newbie. Not sure what the little black tube is that terminates right behind the left footpeg mount, but I've noticed its been leaking oil recenty. Coincidentally, it seems to have stared upon my last oil change. Can't say it's never happened before, but I never noticed a little puddle? Cheked the engine oil level and seems to be good. What is this all about? Thoughts?

dave_xb12r
04-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Isn't that the overflow? Or did someone put a breather reroute on it?

Odin
04-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Isn't that the fuel overflow? ie-if you put too much Gas in the tank while Hot, and then start it back up w/o riding anywhere; you get a bit of gas spurting out

architech
04-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Note sure- it's about 1/4" wide black rigid plastic tube. Definitely not fuel, seems to be oil. As soon as i figure out how to post a picture i will do so.

architech
04-26-2009, 09:48 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1778_20090426144657_L.jpg

architech
04-26-2009, 09:49 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1778_20090426144712_L.jpg
(taken from the swingwarm)

Stevenc150
04-27-2009, 04:54 AM
Best I can tell from the Service manual, it looks like the routing labeled "fuel to atmosphere". [confused]

architech
04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Seems to concur with the other guys saying it's the fuel overflow. If that indeed is the case, the next question is - why am I leaking OIL through the FUEL overflow? Secondly, i notice oil residue in the airbox chamber (due to backfires)? Thanks

Buellysses
04-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Airtech;
On my Ulysses that tube runs to the rear shock absorber.
That would explain the oil on the ground.

The oil in the airbox is perfectly normal. Your crankcase breathers are routed into their. (the 2 black tubes coming up inside the air filter)

architech
04-27-2009, 10:44 PM
OK... so i took the airbox cover off and followed the mystery tube and found that it terminates at the little 'coupling' directly to the right of the fuel filler. So...I gather that would be the fuel overflow? Now, you guys must be thinking that I can't tell the difference between fuel and oil, and I'm starting to think that maybe I can't, but I will say that its much much thicker than fuel, doesn't smell like fuel and the 2 little puddles are still sitting in my driveway after (2 days later)...[confused]

Stevenc150
04-28-2009, 03:19 AM
Must be the fuel overflow then. That oil-spray residue in your airbox; you can get rid of it by doing the Breather Re-route (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-To-Crank-Case-Breather-Mod-with-pics). This will keep that crap out of your airbox, have you're intake sucking in cleaner air, and give you some improvement in lower rpm running.

Buell_Cru
04-28-2009, 01:14 PM
The breather re-route should have nothing to do with oily residue coming out of the fuel to atmosphere overflow tube. There should be no oil in your gas. I would suggest pulling the tube off and running some straight gas through that tube into a bucket to clean it out. I would also drain the gas out of the bike and make sure that's all that comes out then refill with fresh gas and monitor it.

Stevenc150
04-28-2009, 02:11 PM
The breather re-route should have nothing to do with oily residue coming out of the fuel to atmosphere overflow tube.Nobody said that. [confused] But I agree with the rest of the post. ;)

Odin
04-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Just for the record I wasn't saying you couldn't tell the difference either. Obviously Gas would've evaporated within a few minutes of spewing out, and Oil definitely will remain there in the driveway (way more than 2 days as well). Only stating what I knew that tube to be for. I wouldn't hazard a guess why oil would come out of that tube when it's the fuel overflow. however I agree that you should check all thru the line and make sure it's cleaned out so you can tell next time something might leak from there.
and for Oil in the airbox section-that's been covered by the posts above too.

architech
04-28-2009, 11:29 PM
I understand what your saying, Odin... no offense taken. The condition just seems very odd to me and I was even beginning to question my own judgement here - I have accepted, however, that it's definitely not fuel. Any advice on how to drain the fuel? I assume I am pumping out whatever I can reach with a hose and then running her dry (or as close to dry as possible)?

racepro716
04-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Ok, maybe I'm being silly but is the "oil" draining out of this tube dripping on a freshly paved or sealed driveway? If it's gas,and I'm sure it is,on this surface it will pick on your fingers and look exactly like oil. Wayne

Buellysses
04-29-2009, 02:44 AM
Ok, I wanted to follow up on my post, and make sure you guys know I'm retarded.

The tube I was thinking of is the one that runs from the shock to my adjuster knob, it just so happens that it is zip tied to the fuel overflow tube. Yeah...real "DUH" moment.

As far as draining your gas... there is a drain plug on the back of the fuel pump. Don't ask how you get it out without making a mess... can't answer that.

Also, places like Auto Zone sell siphon pumps that would do the trick. Or just get a tube and siphon it out.