PDA

View Full Version : It wasn't the boot

Problemmatt
03-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Hey everyone, Matt here.
I just bought a buell blast 2007 the other week. The battery was bad, it wouldn't hold a charge, but they jumped it and I was able to get home just fine.
So after a day or two I got paid and bought a new Duracell battery. After installing the battery it started great, I was able to get to and from work just fine, and the next evening I went out to an empty parking lot near my place to mess around and get more familiar with how it rode.
After falling in love with my bike, I went to a near by gas station and got some chocolate milk. I left and got to the first red light, stopped, and then when I gave it throttle it went for a second then died on me. After that I could get it to idle fine but if I gave it any more than the slightest throttle it would die.
I thought it to be the gas, so I walked it back to the gas station and filled up but still had the same issue, eventually leading me to walk by bike home and cry my heart out.
So I went to the internet and found articles of people having a similar problem, and they were given the advise to get a new boot, a dans super boot.
Today I receved my super boot and installed it, and to much sadness, my bike is still doing the exact same thing. I am dieing to ride again so any help would be super. Also I am not a mechanic and detailed explanations are most welcome
-matt

mrlogix
03-08-2015, 08:45 PM
bought a new Duracell battery...personally I would have went with the energizer bunny. LOL.

Seriously though, take some time and perform some diagnostics before spending money. By the boot I assume you are talking about the boot between the carb and the cylinder head. Get a can of WD40. With the bike idling, spray the boot, the connection at the boot to carb, then the connection at the boot to head. If you do have an air leak the rpm will change while idling. The WD40 will temporarily seal the air leak (about 3-5 seconds). If not you have other issues. It's kind of messy, but tells the story if that is the issue.

Problemmatt
03-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Omg, mrlogix, I love you. I didn't do the wb40 thing. But when I was reading your post I had a thought. You see my dad held the Allen wrench while I tightened the clam on the boot (and yes I ment the tube conecting the carb to the engine). But I relized I never checked his work. So I ran down stairs and looked at the back of the boot and it was off center a bit. So I loosened it and straitened it and retightened it. And IT WORKED. It did not die. ;)

mrlogix
03-08-2015, 09:33 PM
cool. This is a great forum with a lot of knowledgable people. Always ask before spending money. May get some smartass remarks, but they are in good humor, not personal. Gear up and ride well my friend.:D

Problemmatt
03-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Will do, thanks.