PDA

View Full Version : 1125 to 1190 guys

mrlogix
03-14-2015, 05:20 PM
there is a slight steering rake and trail difference between the 1125s and the 1190s, better or worse? Noticeable difference in suspension quality? Just asking :D

mrlogix
03-16-2015, 09:48 PM
really, not one single comment. Do they ever get off their new 1190's enough to even read the forum? Just wondering if I should address the steering trail and rake as I change the triples. I would rather do it now than later.

Cosworth
03-16-2015, 09:55 PM
Doesn't twin cycles make offset bearing cups to increase rake? Now I think they are for xbs and not sure if they cross over. Just a thought

d_adams
03-16-2015, 10:05 PM
I think EBR had different bearings to do that but from the race guys I know it was pretty difficult to get them if not outright impossible.

As far as the difference, I guess if you upgraded to the Showa BPF and rear shock you'd be getting pretty close to an 1190 suspension. I'm thinking it's about a $2300 upgrade to get there though. I know someone with a spare rear Showa shock if you're looking for one.

mrlogix
03-16-2015, 11:06 PM
I am more concerned with the rake and trail than the suspension. I can achieve the rake change on the bike by altering the angle of the bore for the fork legs rather than try offset bearings. Just curious if it would be worth the trouble. Thanks for the reply Dean

ljm
03-19-2015, 05:25 AM
Dean and the other guys can give you the expert opinions. I can only give you the seat of the pants, overall impression. 1190 RX/SX has greater rake and trail (1.4 degress and .5 inches, I think). Would seem like it would be slightly more difficult to roll in to corners, but more stable than the 1125r. Having said that, it isn't true. 1190 is both easier to flick, and more stable. Comparison with the RS (22 degrees and 3.4) would seem to be intermediate to the RS/SX and 1125r. Isn't. Way, way more stable in corners, at speed, considerably more effort to turn in. I have ridden all three back to back. Not an expert, not a racer, but have ridden all three. Not sure where that leaves you, but seems to me the 1190's handle the way they do for a variety of reasons, not just these.

mrlogix
03-19-2015, 02:09 PM
thanks ljm, Objective opinions was what I am looking for. The fact that you got to ride the three back to back is cool.

Comparison with the RS (22 degrees and 3.4) would seem to be intermediate to the RS/SX and 1125r. Isn't. Way, way more stable in corners, at speed, considerably more effort to turn in.

So the feeling is that the RX is a good compromise between the 1125 and the 1190RS?

Cooter
03-19-2015, 02:29 PM
There's too many differences between an 1125 and a 1190 to discern that rake/trail difference alone changes the cornering attributes. Add to that the human interface, and preferential differences, and you are still guessing.

Changing the angle of the steering head (using bearings or bore) is for a MAJOR change. It's much easier to change the rake/trail on your own ride in small increments by changing your suspension heights front and rear. High front/low rear for more stability, Low front/high rear for more turn quickness and ease.

Either way, take some time to get used to the change. Keep going until you don't like it and then back off one 'setting' at a time[up]

mrlogix
03-19-2015, 03:02 PM
thanks cooter [up]

ljm
03-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Just in terms of those two factors: ease of rolling in and stability in the corner, the 1125 is intermediate in steering ease, third of the three in stability and tracking. Other factors, as cooter and dean suggested bear here. Suspension better by light years on the 1190's, bar position, seat configuration (and I am not sure why that is such a great improvement), and being able to asjust the rider pegs is also a contributor. When I posted my initial comparison on here a long time ago, I said they you can tell they are related and are clearly from the same bike family and engineering team, and at the end of the day, the 1125 is a great bike. It was a great piece of engineering and from my standpoint, better than the R1, CBR which I have ridden too. But every aspect of the 1190 has evolved and it is better in every way. How all those changes hang together versus any single one is what makes the bike exceptional.

thrstrmech
03-19-2015, 06:54 PM
^ what he said...since he owns the RS, RX, SX...don't you also have an 1125:D

when are you back in town?

ljm
03-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Yes, we have 1125's as well, but moving some of them on this year.

We are back toward the end of April for a couple days, and a few days every month until October, then probably spend the winter in the Valley of the Sun. Tired of freezing.

mrlogix
03-19-2015, 10:15 PM
but moving some of them on this year.

if you decide to let go of any parts, let me know. :)