PDA

View Full Version : Wandering Idle

MnBueller
03-17-2015, 07:07 PM
Hey again folks.
My 07 started doing something new last fall.
When it's cool and the bike gets to operating temp the idle starts to race a bit.
Not too severe, just up to 1600 rpm or so.
I took it out recently on a relatively warm day (50+) and it did it again.
I don't know if it will still do it when it's warm out, but I'll find out in the next couple of months.
Anything that comes to mind on this?
A friend said his uncle's Uly used to do this as well, but he couldn't remember how he fixed it.
Please don't tell me it's leaky intake gaskets!!![smirk]

9lbHammer
03-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Drafty Manifold Seals. When the RPMs are returning to idle do they hang at any higher RPM? Like ~1600?

MnBueller
03-17-2015, 07:30 PM
That's exactly when it happens, when I'm coming back to idle as I stop at an intersection.
I blip the throttle and it still hangs up there at about 1600.

9lbHammer
03-17-2015, 07:41 PM
That is synonymous with an intake seal leak. Remove the right side scoop, start the motor, and spray starter fluid around the seals. If the RPMs change you have a leak.

MnBueller
03-17-2015, 07:45 PM
I was really afraid that was I was going to hear form someone. I will try your test to confirm.
Thanks for the advice 9lb.
Any aftermarket solutions that really are better than stock parts?

9lbHammer
03-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Genuine James Seals are the way to go IMO.

MnBueller
03-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Will look them up. Thanks again. Not the news I wanted, but at least I have a solution.

jetlee
03-17-2015, 08:03 PM
TwinMotorcycles has a new seal design, costs a pretty penny IMO. I did James Seals.

Tbone
03-17-2015, 08:39 PM
Was the ECM relocated? Check it for cracks if not.

MnBueller
03-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Yeah Tbone. Went through the whole ECM nightmare last year. I replaced it and my other issues went away. Thanks though.

MnBueller
03-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Checked the intake seals yesterday after a nice long ride.
Using starter fluid it seemed to rev very slightly when sprayed at the base of the manifolds.
Hard to tell for sure, it wasn't a dramatic rise, just a variance now most of the time I sprayed.
I will probably change them out anyway as it makes sense and this seems to be the solution most of you are recommending. Now to find that tutorial on doing it without rotating the engine...

MnBueller
03-30-2015, 01:23 AM
Pulled the old seals out last week without rotating the engine and it wasn't too bad. The old seals don't look bad, but I've done enough wrenching to know appearance often means nothing. So the Genuine James seals will go in this week. Got them in a day from Dennis Kirk. Bought two sets to have an extra and take some of the sting out of the $8 shipping cost. Would anyone know if I should use any assembly lube/grease? If so, what do you recommend? I'm sure I can get them in without, but would something make it easier and help them seal?

Beastrider
03-31-2015, 06:49 PM
im looking for those seals badly but being in South Africa the shipping will be expensive, our post office will lose it or it will lie at customs for 3 months b4 i get a note.

user_deleted
03-31-2015, 07:20 PM
keep in mind when this hanging or inconsistent idle happens in 90% of the cases it can be solved by resetting your tps to specs using ecmspy (03-07 models), setting the tps upon reset to 5.1, setting warm idle to 1000rpm, and riding in learn-mode for approx. 20 miles.

Beastrider
04-01-2015, 06:07 AM
the way the intake seats on the head is just rediculous and leaves a lot to be desires. even with my seals in perfect condition i can see where the gas can go straight pass them. the intake pipe basically presses right up to the engine and the seal needs to press on 3 surfaces to seal it tight. The standard seal is imo 1 or 2mm to short and do not press against the head with force. it does squash into the outside of the intake and the inside of the flange, but not onto the head. Im off to a bearing place today to see if i can get another seal into that gap. otherwise i will have 2x new ones made up which is slightly wider.

jetlee
04-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Maybe you missed my post, so here it is again:

TwinMotorcycles.com has a new seal design, costs a pretty penny IMO. I did James Seals.

ztied
04-01-2015, 05:57 PM
I have had positive results with what luniticfringe suggested above, I know my seals were good because I replaced, and tested them, lower rpms kept it from getting too much gas that it couldn`t burn imo

MnBueller
04-18-2015, 06:03 PM
All done! Got my James Seals in and everything is great. Bike idles and runs even better than before.
So while I'd like to think I really did need new seals and didn't do all this for naught, I have too much respect for the knowledge and opinions of lunaticfringe to discount what he reminded all of us of.
It could have been the TPS reset I had to do when I was done anyway, but just let me think it was the seals....;)

user_deleted
04-19-2015, 12:23 PM
I have too much respect for the knowledge and opinions of lunaticfringe to discount what he reminded all of us of.

thanks much for the very kind words. really appreciate you taking the time to leave them.