PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about pickin up if an easy fix...

jazzybeats
03-19-2015, 07:45 PM
Below is a local craigslist ad...

01 Buell blast for sale won't start just clicks when trying to start. ...has a new battery tho so not sure what it could be was told a couple things a starter relay or solenide ..either one cost under $60 dont know how to test or check it myself tho...and don't have a way to take it to shop or the time...have title book and keys and extra seat has about 15xxx miles had it a year ..it been siting for a couple months...December was last Time it ran...

Lookin for a little bike for my wife and saw this, any ideas of what it could be? If it is cheap and easy I will consider jumping on it and doing it myself. I have no knowledge of blast problems / fixes myself... Thank you! Oh yeah, they are askin 1000$...

jetlee
03-19-2015, 08:18 PM
If it clicks, there's not enough current to trip the relay; nothing downstream (solenoid, starter) is getting any power if the relay doesn't trip.

Common fixes include (in order):
1. Clean all grounds (front motor mount bracket)
2. Check leads for corrosion
3. New starter relay (not solenoid, yet)
4. New battery

If it's still not starting, come back.

Cooter
03-19-2015, 09:36 PM
Start simple and go to Harbor Freight with a coupon for a FREE voltmeter.

Check the actual battery voltage. Even a "new battery" can be drained from December 'till now. Especially if it's been cranking for awhile. Or just put a trickle charger on it for a couple of days without trying to start it.

When you press the start button, does it click once? Or does it click like a typewriter*?

*If you are under 25, a typewriter is that thing the secretaries use in the show Mad Men:p

jazzybeats
03-20-2015, 02:19 AM
I'm in my thirties, and I have a voltometer, just curious if there was a chronic problem this relates to in these bikes, it is a little ways from my house so I was just asking prior to going out to look at it, thank you guys- anything else I should look for specific to blasts?

Cooter
03-20-2015, 01:25 PM
If the starter won't engage, run start it (using 2nd or 3rd gear). If she runs, drive it straight to a shop. Even a car shop should be able to help.

BTW I've seen plenty of running Blasts for $1000-1500. Is this one super clean?

jetlee
03-20-2015, 04:17 PM
So they claimed the battery was new in December?

Take some jumper cables and jump it from your car/truck battery (engine OFF).

Restlessrustler
03-22-2015, 04:20 AM
offer 500...just my opinion