PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Change Necessary?

kc9gpj
03-23-2015, 02:01 PM
I am at the 12400 service interval. The manual says to change the spark plugs. Do I have to? I don't see any signs of poor spark plugs and I still get 32 MPG.

user_deleted
03-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Do I have to?

you don't "have to" but in my experience a fresh set of NGK DCPR9EIX iridium plugs, especially when indexed, wake up the motor and enhance rideability. also you do NOT have to rotate or drop the motor to change both plugs. remove the LS scoop to change front...rear more challenging but relatively easy. can walk you thru it with simple directions and required tools if you choose to perform that task. carefully inspect your plug wires for any signs of arcing/chafing/tears when changing plugs. the wires live in a very hostile environment and are often over-looked when performing routine maintenance.

user_deleted
03-23-2015, 02:17 PM
^^^^^^^ yikes! just saw he's an 1125 guy. thought it was an XB. disregard.[mad]

Cooter
03-23-2015, 02:20 PM
You want to hear "Na, don't worry about it. The factory service manual is wrong, spark plugs last forever! Just keep riding"

I'm going to tell you "Do what the service manual says, and you'll have a much better experience with your motorcycle".

I'm also going to tell you to flush your brake (and clutch) fluid every year, change your tires earlier than you want to, use only premium fuel, replace your battery every 12-18 months, safety check your bike before EVERY ride, and fix all leaks IMMEDIATELY.

I have never broken down on a motorcycle that I've maintained. Pick your poison.

Cosworth
03-23-2015, 02:27 PM
^Its a bit more of a pain on the 1125's to do plug changes, but if it were mine I would change the plugs as recommended. And as a 1125 owner I will be changing them by the recommended maintenance schedule.

go cytocis
03-23-2015, 02:37 PM
flush your brake (and clutch) fluid every year, change your tires earlier than you want to, use only premium fuel, replace your battery every 12-18 months, safety check your bike before EVERY ride, and fix all leaks IMMEDIATELYI'm in agreement with most of this list, but only 12-18 months on a battery before replacing? That seems excessive unless you're buying the crappiest Chinese garbage you can find. A good Yuasa (or equivalent) should last at least 5 years. I've gotten as much as 18 years out of a battery that I properly maintained.

kc9gpj
03-23-2015, 03:37 PM
Ok, I'll go ahead with the plug change. The one plug looks like a real pain in the ass to get at.

Thanks

Cooter
03-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Yup. PITA. But think of all the delicious beers you can have in the garage!

As for the battery, It's more of a reference to XB's and bad weather. If they get cold, sit over the winter, un-tendered, but still need every bit of 240cca. I've had terrible luck with Yuasas[sad] Better maintenance= longer lasting of course.

The genuine Harley battery was pretty good for my XB.

go cytocis
03-23-2015, 04:40 PM
As for the battery, It's more of a reference to XB's...The genuine Harley battery was pretty good for my XBYou're spot-on there. The XB has all the ingredients for short battery life: heat, vibes, long-stroke (with 405 degrees between power strokes!), cooling fans that continue to draw on the battery after the bike's switched off, & a VR that's notorious for over/under charging.

You couldn't design a bike that eats batteries faster if you tried!