PDA

View Full Version : Shuddering/Wobbling in turns over 40KPH

FIDOSOL
04-29-2009, 06:07 AM
Whenever I lean into any turns at over about 30-40KPH the bike shudders, it feels like the ass is wobbling and fighting me. I have almost stock suspension settings, should I put them back from stock and adjust from there? I want to fix this before I start really riding.

dave_xb12r
04-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Wait, you got your bike? Yay! Tires ok? It's been sitting for a while, maybe you need to wear out the flat spot.

horseplay
04-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Im having the same problem but more noticably in right hand corners Fido. I checked all the suspension settings and they all seem great..checked tire pressure etc. Im attributing it to the **** Dunlop original 5-6 year old tires as of now. If I get my Pilot Powers on and its still doing it...I will worry.
What kind of tires are you running Fido? And how old?

FIDOSOL
04-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Stock tires, the bike is an 2007, has just under 4k on it. Tires need to be replaced soon anyway, just looking for a bike shop that does it besides the HD store. Anyone recommend a good upgrade from the Scorpion Sync tires?

dave_xb12r
04-29-2009, 09:36 AM
I hear the Michelin Pilot Power 2s are great.
Here is Lefox's big tire thread (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/General-Motorcycle-Chat/the-big-topic-tires)

horseplay
04-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Depends..if you like strictly sticky street tires with decent tread life..Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. Ive had the older Powers and absolutely loved them. The 2CT is suppose to last a bit longer with dual tread compound.

Im comparing to tires Ive had...
Pirelli Diablos- good tire
Dunlop Qualifiers "Q's"- good tire
Dunlop 207's- garbage
Dunlop 208's- garbage
Metzeler Sportec M1's-decent tire
Michelin Pilot Power- phenomenal tire
If you want very inexpensive ...very sticky tires..look into Shinko tires. Pretty popular around here although Ive never ridden on them personally

FIDOSOL
04-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Cheap, Fast, Reliable. You can only pick TWO...

Sound familiar? Applies to more than just engine mods/work.

Thank you though, I'm probably going to go with the Pilot Power 2CT if I can find them over here.

LeFox
04-29-2009, 10:11 AM
fido, how long has the bike been in transit?
if it has been standing in transit with soft tires and lashed hard, you probably have a flat bit on your tire.

;)

stopie20
04-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I like the Qualifiers, but they dont hold up to burn outs for s%*t. I have been wanting to try Dunlops newer tire though the D616 I read some really good reviews on this tire.

Look it up, it has a more agressive tread pattern, but still has a z or w speed rating.

xtremelow
04-29-2009, 11:23 AM
I have shinko tires and have about 400 miles on them and no complaints. Good into corners, no problems at high speeds, and best of all the front was $75, and the rear which is a 200mm was $125.

FIDOSOL
04-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Lefox, It was in transit for at least 2 months, probably closer to 2.5, and it was strapped down tightly. What I'm worried about is that this just happened on the last day I rode it last week, the ride before that was 3-4 weeks ago and it didn't do it then.

xtremelow, What kind of shinko tires do you have? Maybe I'll read some reviews..

Buell_Cru
04-30-2009, 01:59 AM
All these settings are done by closing the valve completely by turning it clockwise and the "X" amount of turns counterclockwise. My bike was doing the same thing and after I adjusted the settings it was perfect. Also check tire pressure.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2792_20090429185722_L.jpg

LeFox
04-30-2009, 08:33 AM
how was your tire pressure on that last ride?

xtremelow
04-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Shinko F005/R005 Advanced Street Radial

I got mine from BikeBandit.com, but KneeDraggers.com also carries them but for a little more. Not sure on either ones APO/FPO shipping policies but this should help.

FIDOSOL
04-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Lefox, dunno, will have to check it. I have the manual somewhere but what are the psi I should get when I check it?

xtremelow, thanks man I'll shoot em' a line and ask.

stopie20
04-30-2009, 12:20 PM
If you want to look at suspension settings I am going try to post a link to an article that most accuratly a throughly covers proper suspension setup (for stock components) The following pages are very detailed and are step by step. If you follow these steps you will be shocked by how well your bike handles.

LeFox, I know you know your stuff, but that chart doesnt say any thing about sag and thats the most critical step in your set up.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_0509_motorcycle_suspension_damping/index.html

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_0508_motorcycle_suspension_setup/index.html

03Firebolt9R
04-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Stopie20, FYI....Buell Cru posted the setup chart, not LeFox.

Also, I plan on getting the Bridgstone Battlax BT-016. Anyone running them, if so, opinions.

stopie20
04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Well, not that my opinion matters now that we've established I can't read (my apologies LeFox) but I have not had a brigestone tire in six years and had three sets of the battleax series at that time. I rode these tires because they were ok and cheap if I had to choose a tire now they would be at the middle of the list. There are just a few really really good tires out there and for me the price margin is not worth the sacrifice in grip and predictability.

03Firebolt9R
04-30-2009, 01:17 PM
I have heard that the older Battlax tires were not very good, but have heard good things about the newer BT016. I like the triple compound tire for around town, center wont wear out as fast as some others.

LeFox
04-30-2009, 02:03 PM
fido,

for germany, now...
front around 2.5bar / 36.26 pound/square inch
rear around 2.6bar / 37.71 pound/square inch

teh Nub
04-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Horseplay,

The pilot power 2ct will not last longer, the center is supposed to be the same compound as the regular pilot powers and the side's are a softer compound. If you ride corners hard, they will not last as long as the regular pilot powers.

The pilot road 2's are dual compound and have the same compound on the sides as the regular pilot powers and a harder compound in the center giving them a longer lifespan.

FIDOSOL
05-11-2009, 07:12 PM
So without shipping the shinko tires are right at $176 for front and rear, and I've yet to find a bad review, maybe I'll get a set here soon when my stockies are done for good.