PDA

View Full Version : Eletrical Problems

esbrdr
04-17-2015, 02:24 AM
I have an '06 Buell Ulysses. It has ongoing intermittent electrical problem. Only does it when it is warm or hot out. IE: If I turn it off and go to restart it, it refuses to start. When it doesn't start, gauges cycle and fuel pump does not energize. The bike will turn over but not start. After letting it cool approximately 15 minutes the fuel pump will energize and the engine will turn over allowing it to start normally. Any suggestions of how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoy my ully but after failed rear wheel bearing, a faulty voltage regulator, and now this.... I just want my bike back that way I can fully enjoy it.
Thanks for your time [confused]

Cooter
04-17-2015, 03:06 AM
Pretty minor problems for a 9 year old adventure bike, I wouldn't give up yet.

I don't know what the warm days have to do with it, but theres a fuel pump wire chaffing problem that's well documented here, or just replace it for about $30.

Keep a test light with you and when the fuel pump won't energize, probe the wire at the pump (left side, end of frame) to see if it's getting power.

user_deleted
04-17-2015, 11:28 AM
^^^^^ agree with cooter. so translation is cool weather/cold bike start is fine.....warm weather/hot bike start faulty? is that what you're describing?
1-if your uly has gotten progressively harder to start.....meaning longer cranking-to-start-time after sitting for several days......and it is feeling "lazy" reacting to throttle inputs.... the fuel pump on its way out.
2-your warm start: bike in neutral...key on....gauges sweep...red run switch to on....pump primes and stops.....CEL light cylces thru and extinguishes.....clutch lever in and crank to start. NO start? you're lacking either spark or fuel or both and the offending component causing it from heat-soaking. determine what you don't have and report back. we'll give you the fix.