PDA

View Full Version : New to me xb9...popping in the air box

Cmpd22
04-24-2015, 12:09 PM
I recently just got my first ever on road bike last Sunday. 03 XB9 with 7600 on her. Bike appears all around stock other than an exhaust mod. Stock muffler had been removed and looks like straight piped out the sides. Already got a RSS coming for her. Good friend who rides buells as well suggested I either get the stock muffler modded to get some back pressure back in the system or get the bike programmed to keep it from running to lean.

I've noticed after the bike is warmed up that on low RPM take off I can feel on occasion the engine popping back into the air box when I crack the throttle slightly to take off.

My question is I looked for an EBR ecm but obviously with EBR closing up kinda hard. Next question is will throwing a 03 race map into my stock ecm be okay and keep it from running lean? Is flashing your old ecm that difficult? I did a ton of forum surfing but never actually seen anyone say wether it was extremely difficult or not.

Just gotta get the blank cable, I have all the Deutsch components including the crimpers.

I'm located in the Charlotte area if anyone has some suggestions.

user_deleted
04-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Next question is will throwing a 03 race map into my stock ecm be okay and keep it from running lean? sort of. typically smooths out throttle response.

Is flashing your old ecm that difficult? no. i'm 61 so if i can do it whipper-snappers can ace
it.

I've noticed after the bike is warmed up that on low RPM take off I can feel on occasion the engine popping back into the air box when I crack the throttle slightly to take off. usually associated with a tps switch either in need of reset or replacement. if set to correct specs and popping continues it's usually the switch headed to component heaven

Cmpd22
04-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the advice. Love the bike, just trying to prevent something from happening to her. Just curious, did you use ECMSPY to do your flashing?

user_deleted
04-24-2015, 01:41 PM
Just curious, did you use ECMSPY to do your flashing?

in 1975 when i graduated from college we removed all our clothing and ran wild in public to do our flashing.
these days it's ecmspy.

Chicknstripn
04-24-2015, 02:26 PM
Cmpd22- welcome to the ups and downs of Buell ownership!
I'm in highpoint! Not too far from ya.
I have a cable and know the basics of ECMspy. PM me and maybe we can meet up. I'll try to show ya what I know about diagnostics and TPS resets with spy.
BTW the last time my bike had issues with excess coughing through the intake I had an intake leak. Look up a "how to" and try testing for this. Prior to performing any ECM tuning you need to make sure the bike is absolutely mechanically sound. Otherwise the ECM will be chasing it's tail trying to compensate for lean or rich issues while running.
Good Luck!

Cmpd22
04-24-2015, 03:20 PM
BTW the last time my bike had issues with excess coughing through the intake I had an intake leak. Look up a "how to" and try testing for this. Prior to performing any ECM tuning you need to make sure the bike is absolutely mechanically sound. Otherwise the ECM will be chasing it's tail trying to compensate for lean or rich issues while running.

Thanks for the advise. And i know exactly where Highpoint is. I been there couple times.