PDA

View Full Version : '03 XB9R Triple Tree question

onixiii
04-29-2015, 08:32 PM
I apologize in advance if this is a really stupid question, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff!

I'm starting to do some major work on my bike this season ('03 XB9R) along with some mods on it since I finally have the time and money. I was researching top triples and noticed everyone who's replaced their top triples have placed their handle bars over the triple (as shown in the link below).

http://www.freespirits.it/images/immblog/buell/xb12/202815.JPG

I was curious as to whether anyone's done a setup like this ( http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/s306x306/e15/10864922_325220354345967_446707450_n.jpg ) where the handle bars are located below the clamp. Asides from possible clearance issues with the front fairing what other issues might arise from this type of setup, and would this negatively impact the handling?

Cmpd22
05-04-2015, 01:46 AM
You have me curious with the tripple tree. I was curious about doing this. Where would one go about getting an upper like this set up?

onixiii
05-07-2015, 02:49 AM
I've still searching myself but haven't been able to find anything. That second picture is just the result of a quick google image search, haven't been able to find out much more about it.

mrlogix
05-07-2015, 03:31 AM
over or under is more of an ergonomic issue. The clip-ons strength is in the mating fit (ring gap is not collapsed) at torque spec. Billet (machined from a solid block of material) is better than cast. They even make Billet clip-ons with 1" risers.

Placement is ergonomic (comfortable, no pain or aches after 30 minutes). The angle of the bars should be symmetrical. (Same on both sides of a center line from front to rear intersecting the center bolt of the triple tree. This is the vertical plane of the bike and one of the ordinates of the center of gravity.) The bars need to be splayed apart that the bars clear all bodywork and frame, when turning the front from lock to lock.

Hope this makes sense. I am sure that there are more on here that could explain it better than me. :D

onixiii
05-07-2015, 03:41 AM
Thanks for all the info mrlogix!

mrlogix
05-07-2015, 03:43 AM
mark a place on the tube at the height of the top triple clamp. Measuring is better. This affects the handling of the bike. (Rake angle). If the thickness of the triple tree is different from the thickness (distance in the perspective of the steering stem from machined boss on the bottom of the triple tree to the top of the clamping boss) you will have to do some math and subtract or add from the measurement you established earlier.

I've still searching myself but haven't been able to find anything.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Motorcycle-Parts-/10063/i.html?_from=R40&mvsub=1&_mcatda=true&selfil=1%2C2%2C3%2C6&selvel=2003%7EBuell%7EFirebolt%7EXB9R&_nkw=clip%20on%20handlebars%202003%20Buell%20Fireb olt%20XB9R

Verify with one of the seniors if 37mm is correct for your bike assuming it is stock. Better is grab a caliper (the measurement tool not the brake caliper :D) and verify them yourself. :)