PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about an Uly.

Matteson
05-03-2015, 11:23 PM
Like it says. I feel like I would love this bike. I have the zx10r and am thinking about selling and taking the money and buying an Uly. I am nervous about getting back into the Buells. I may never be able to resell. And I buy and sell a lot. By far, the Buells are the hardest to resell. If someone knows of a good deal on one let me know.

BuellyBagger
05-04-2015, 12:15 AM
There's a 20k odd mile one here local for 4. Looks well maintained. How nice of a uly u looking for?

BuellyBagger
05-04-2015, 12:31 AM
orthisgooddeal! (http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/5008388703.html)

Alien_XB
05-04-2015, 01:34 AM
I have a low mileage, fully farkled one in mint condition in northeast Pa.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i335/Bachetti/Buell/8caea1883e6ee2958498a3f8c4c8ee91.jpg

Matteson
05-04-2015, 01:49 AM
I would want a low mile decent shape bike. They look very comfy! Are they really though everyone says so. i would like to ride one before I sell the Ninja though.

Matteson
05-04-2015, 02:08 AM
Called on the one in Des Moines. I really want that bike!

DualSportDad
05-04-2015, 03:01 AM
They are pretty comfortable and they just eat up miles like it's nothing.

heagachongoose
05-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Of all the Buell's the Uly is the ONLY model that holds a decent resale. But they only sell to a very particular niche so honestly of you plan on buying it with the intentions of selling it, get something else instead. A Buell is not an investment, it's a purchase. I'm sure you have learned that the hard way already. The market for xb's is much larger than that of the 1125 though. In my area xb prices are slowly but steadily increasing, where 1125 values are dropping.

go cytocis
05-04-2015, 02:15 PM
I have the zx10r and am thinking about selling and taking the money and buying an Uly. I am nervous about getting back into the Buells.What kind of riding are you planning on doing & why are you thinking about the Uly? You're going to find the XB pretty sedate compared to your litre bike, but perhaps that's exactly the change you're looking for(?). If you've already owned a Buell, are you sure you want to go back? It's pretty easy to romanticize bikes once they've been sold. There's lots of other great ADV bikes out there & the selection has never been better; why not consider something else?

Of all the Buell's the Uly is the ONLY model that holds a decent resale.I'd suggest that your observation could be extended to the XB2 chassis, which was also used on the Ss & TT models, in general. I rode my Ss for 3 years & put 16,000km (10,000mi) on it, before selling it for exactly what I paid for it. There was plenty of interest in it & in retrospect, I probably could have asked more.
1125 values are droppingMy observations concur with this too. Being more of a performance bike, the 1125s are growing obsolete at a faster rate than the XBs.

Matteson
05-05-2015, 02:22 AM
I may just be romanticizing. I thought the xb9 was underpowered hence why I got the 1125r. The 1125r was ugly and as far as performance goes... meh... I have mixed emotions about the 1125.
I commute about 50 miles a day and need something I can put lunch, some small hand tools, an extra set of clothes and milk in. The backpack is gay it weighs me down.
I think if I got an Uly or sport touring bike I would slow it down too. The Ninja is quick, fast, smart and agile.
When going the speed limit I feel like I am walking. Boring...
Everything I buy is a purchase. I always lose money on my toys.
The Uly just seems very practical. I need a street bike. Not a track bike on the street.

go cytocis
05-05-2015, 03:31 AM
I need a street bike. Not a track bike on the street.True words! It took me 20 years of riding to figure that out!

BuellyBagger
05-05-2015, 05:51 PM
I'd happily commute 3 hours a day (obviously for much more money) if I was able top ride a uly every day! Mine has the low, much harder, seat and I can still just ride it for hours and hours on the highway with no thoughts of wanting off. I'm not totally in love with it in slow stop and go, but that sucks on any bike imo. You won't be disappointed in a uly!

BuellyBagger
05-05-2015, 05:53 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6519_20141126163023_L.jpg
plus look how much junk you can carry!

BuellyBagger
05-12-2015, 12:19 PM
another good deal!! (http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/4947183114.html)

WiredForStereo
05-12-2015, 08:37 PM
I love my XB12XT. It's a Uly, but not the same as the rest, it's the touring version, but it's got all the bells and whistles, heated hand grips, hand guards, panniers and trunk, as well as a decent seat.

The previous owner had it for sale for a long time. I don't know how long it was on CraigsList, but I saved up for it for three months before buying it.

I wanted a Buell because I rode my brother's 03 XB9 with a Jardine, and it was the most fun I've ever had on a street bike. It handles extremely well and sounds like a hot rod Harley (with the proper pipe). I rode his to the top of a mountain on a dirt road.

Matteson
05-13-2015, 12:43 AM
I am pretty serious about getting a different bike. I love my ninja though. An 1125cr would be cool too. I don't ever see them.

longbarrel
05-29-2015, 02:07 AM
Just bought an 06 Uly with 1500 miles on it. Comes with the bags and top case. Don't have it yet, waiting on the dude getting it back from shop for rear brake line leak.
I have had many motorcycles in my 52 years. I rode this one about 2 miles, turned around in the road, (almost ran into the ditch):) Got back and said I'll take it.
Cant wait.

ReadyXB
05-29-2015, 03:38 AM
I have had many motorcycles in my 52 years. I rode this one about 2 miles, turned around in the road, (almost ran into the ditch) Got back and said I'll take it.
[up][up][up]

JacksdaddyNC
05-29-2015, 01:41 PM
My 2009 Ulysses if For Sale, $6,000. she has 6,800 miles and I am the second owner, and she is Stock but she comes with Tourtech Zega Boxes. Brad 336-944-4169 I am in Winston-Salem, NC

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/15891_20130327011539_L.jpg

Pjf53
04-16-2016, 03:00 AM
My Uly is the most fun bike I ever owned and I've owned many bikes. I had a guy ask me if I wanted to sell it. I didn't even ask what he'd pay because it's not for sale or ever will be. I find selling any machine a little bit trying. I think it just depends on luck more than anything. Buell just isn't a bike many people are familiar with. So many bikers buy due to brand loyalty or want a 200 MPH rocket ship. I'm 62 and this bike's weight is a big selling point for me. For passing quickness you'll never need anything more than this beast. It'll pull your hands off the bars if you're not prepared when you grab a handful of throttle (Yes, it has happened to me).

BuellyBagger
04-16-2016, 02:53 PM
For passing quickness you'll never need anything more than this beast.
That is a huge plus with any buell, especially the uly. What other bikes can carry 2 ppl,plus three hard cases full of stuff and do 60 to 100 in a couple seconds to blow around a car. One of those few instances where speed might actually make you safer.
Last fall the wife and I did some riding together for a day (she never rides with me usually). Together we weigh I'm guessing close to 400 lbs with riding gear and helmets. (Yeah we're a bit outta shape)and I was really pleased with how quick the uly was still even with the added load. Probably had 35lbs odd miscellaneous luggage on too.

njloco
05-03-2016, 04:04 PM
I'm glad to read what Pjf53 had to say as I am 66 years young and just bought an 08 uly. Believe it or not, it's replacing a triumph tiger explorer xc ( great bike ) Though I haven't riden it very much the uly is much easier for me to handle weight wise in comparerison to the tiger. I only picked it up on Saturday and I am looking forward to having a bike that I can pretty much do all the mantinence on it myself.

jl551c
05-03-2016, 07:19 PM
I like riding my 06 Uly more than I like riding my Ultra Classic. Its faster, more nimble, better gas mileage, stores just as much if not more stuff, doesn't weigh 900 pounds, more comfy and is just plain more fun. I bought it for 4k with only 9k miles on it a few months ago. What more could I ask for in a touring, camping type of bike? Plus we've got a forum with tons of help. My Ultra is for when the wife wants to ride. Good deals are to be had if you look around.

Pjf53
05-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Hi jl551c,

Just happened to notice you're in Lake Luzerne for part of the year. I bet I can guess what part of the year that is, ha, ha. I'm in Johnstown and ride to Saratoga for coffee at Uncommon Grounds and then to 9N for a ride around the lake or to Lake George. Anytime you might want to hook up at the coffee shop and a cruise, let me know. I bought my XL with 08 miles on it a couple of years back from a guy in Greenfield. He had already sold the cases but I like the look more without all the hardware and can still carry plenty of stuff. Have a '96 Sportster Sport, 99 Virago 1100 Special, and an 01 Dyna Superglide Sport (I like dual discs on Harleys).

Tbone
05-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Go get you one! Mine will be with me as long as I am on this earth and it is not for sale! I love commuting and traveling on my Uly in the winter, it is good to 30F and that's in jeans & boots, winter water proof liner in a mesh jacket, and buell gloves. Nothing else, the motor is like heated pants and boots, the hand guards with heated grips and I am toasty on my 50 mile round trip commute. I do also have an 18" Madstad which helps greatly. In the summer I can ride it also, but do prefer riding my 07 Tiger 1050 because it is water cooled and the heat is further away, hate riding it in the winter though, freeze you arse off and it also has heated grips. The engines are very different, but they both have a lot of torque and the top speed on both are the same. Not sure why folks say the buell does not perform well compared to others? The 07 Triumph 1050 triple is an excellent motor in durability, torque, horsepower, performance, wheeliebility, etc... I can say the same thing about the Uly, even though it is a very different motor with very different characteristics, I still consider them both excellent and comparable for street use. I am an average rider and maybe on a track there is a different story and the root of the deficiencies of the XB12 compared to other motorcycles?

user_deleted
05-13-2016, 07:03 PM
Buy a lightly used Suzuki V-Strom 1000 adventure. much better bike....very reliable...priced right.
warm regards,
ich
Vienna, Austria4167

Tbone
05-13-2016, 08:09 PM
I have a friend who has a V-Strom 1000 and he is looking to put a Suzuki SVT 1000 motor in it, he says the SVT motor has more horsepower as well as torque and is the motor that should have been in the V-Strom in the first place. Also had problems with and had to remove some secondary butterflys, as well as re-sprocket for different gearing, re-calibrate Speedo, etc.... I think his is either a 2006 or 2007 model? Also he had to change a few fuel pumps, and finally figured out the Suzuki pumps are trash and found an aftermarket brand that was good. So maybe the newer ones are better but they all have their quirks don't they?