PDA

View Full Version : Post EBR Receivership 1190 purchase?

mriulvr
05-06-2015, 04:52 PM
My original plans were to purchase an SX or RX in two years. I wanted to wait for the typical "issues" with new models to get worked out but that is now a mute point. Besides the potential issues of replacement parts and warranty, what should I consider in deciding to jump on a discounted SX or RX besides selling the idea to my wife? Need members to try to talk me off the ledge. I've seen them for sale anywhere from $9K up, although not near here so would have to get it shipped. I know insurance will be a big step up from my 04XB12S, which I will keep.

mriulvr
05-06-2015, 04:55 PM
Have also been keeping my eyes open for an XB12X, which would be considerable cheaper and a better commuter bike. Decisions, decisions!!

mrlogix
05-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Need members to try to talk me off the ledge

why, go ahead and jump. :D

djs2k2
05-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Bet you won't jump!

BuellRonin
05-06-2015, 06:04 PM
I'm on the same ledge.

$8999.00 Demo SX 800+ miles (http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-ERIK-BUELL-RACING-1190SX---Demo-113061462)

mriulvr
05-06-2015, 06:56 PM
BuellRonin - Saw the same one. Really like the blue though. Also bet that those prices are negotiable. Local dealership has had 2 RXs that they received soon after they were released that are still sitting on the showroom floor listed for $15K. Unfortunately, only one SX below $15K within 400 miles of me that I have found so far.

mriulvr
05-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Jump? (https://youtu.be/k8LdRJqjjRM)

mrlogix
05-06-2015, 07:23 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/10819_20150316015407_L.jpg

BuellRider3158
05-06-2015, 07:33 PM
http://sd.craigslist.org/mcd/4968281942.html
http://sd.craigslist.org/mcd/4968288243.html

Found these on Craigslist for Mitchell, South Dakota. Price looks pretty good all things considered

Mike VV
05-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Picked up an RX and had exactly one day of warranty..!
While it has its quirks, I'm not at all unhappy with it. Driving every day to and from work (82 miles a day) without problem.
And also, despite having similar numbers "on paper", it doesn't have the overall power of the S1000RR BMW I traded for the RX, overall, I'm glad I made the trade.

Anything can happen, but I don't think you'll be sorry.

Mike

BuellRonin
05-06-2015, 09:17 PM
I'm trying to hold out to check out the Aprilia Tuono 2016 update. But the price is making it so hard not to pull the trigger. Plus I think if I went up there with 7k-8k in cash I could get a pretty decent deal.

Starting to shake.

mriulvr
05-06-2015, 09:32 PM
I'm trying to hold out to check out the Aprilia Tuono 2016 update.

I hear you. That is one great looking motorcycle and the reviews have been great. Never rode one, but...

neilrl79
05-06-2015, 10:40 PM
...but that is now a mute point

It is now a moot point, not a mute point :)

mriulvr
05-06-2015, 10:42 PM
It is now a moot point, not a mute point

Was waiting for that :p

lawdog
05-07-2015, 12:41 AM
Quote:
...but that is now a mute point

It is now a moot point, not a mute point

Well I think it depends on how much noise Erik makes and if he goes down with a fight or not! Such a low note for Erik. With Hero I am sure it will only lead to treble. But I am not really in-tune with the latest events and if it is going to be a hostile takeover or what. I don't mean to harp on it but Erik sure got shafted! I am sorry if my jokes fall flat!
Brett

thrstrmech
05-07-2015, 01:14 AM
it doesn't have the overall power of the S1000RR BMW I traded for the RX

hear lots about power this power that, torque this torque that...all that doesn't do crap for you if you don't know how to ride the bike to begin with. sure, anyone can go fast in a straight line, but you better know WTF to do and when to do it with before, during and after that turn/curve/corner. lane positioning, set up and follow through is key to capitalize on the power and torque given.
save the power/torque for the track...on the streets and highway, keep it at a safe manageable speed so you can be around to enjoy the bike overall!

mriulvr, what are you waiting for, go buy the EBR and keep that silly grin on your face that the Buell put there to begin with:D

Mike VV
05-07-2015, 03:01 PM
thrstrmech -

I've got almost 700,000 on bikes since 1985. been thru a coupla schools, track days, MANY miles in several canyons AND I navigate the SoCal freeways DAILY.

So...tell me how I don't know how to "drive" a motorcycle...!

Mike

P.s. - And if you still feel the need to know, I've helped maintain two different road race bikes, built/rebuilt more than a couple of street bikes and even built a bike from the ground up that you probably never even heard of..!

So yea, I do still have some learning to do.

mrlogix
05-07-2015, 03:30 PM
one of the problems with a forum like this is not knowing the other person your talking to.

Mike- Thrsrtmech wasn't trying to insult you, there are all kinds of people on this forum from all walks of life and skill level. Thrstrmech is a good guy to know, so don't take it personal. This is a fantastic forum with a lot of commraderie and smart asses like me.

generalcuz
05-07-2015, 07:33 PM
I have thought the same thing but without a warranty and lack of parts, the idea scared me off.

Heck, I am going the other direction. Falling in love with tubers and very tempted to buy an RS1200 of some sort with all of them popping up lately. Defnitely not an RX/SX but I loves me some American motorcycles, whatever they may be.

Good luck if you get one. They look amazing in person.

mrlogix
05-07-2015, 08:15 PM
^^ [up]

Timeless
05-07-2015, 10:10 PM
To me, it doesn't make sense to spend ~$10k knowing that you are going to have very limited (probably zero) warranty support, difficulty finding parts, and quirks due to low/early production runs. For that money, there are plenty of other options. But then again, $10k to me is a good chunk of change.

mriulvr
05-07-2015, 10:14 PM
generalcuz - I've had the same thought about a tuber or a Uly. Might be an easier pitch to the wife. I think one of each (tuber, Uly, RX, and SX) would look great next my XB12S and make my garage look AMAZING :D. Now if I just didn't have one kid heading to college next year and two more coming up. [sad] Still keeping an eye on the interweb for deals. We will see what happens. Maybe a diamond for mothers day? Would be a great 25th anniversary present for me this summer!

thrstrmech
05-07-2015, 10:30 PM
Mike, I hear ya......what I said above was a blanket statement not directed to anyone in particular

and as mrlogix said...smart asses, I'm a proud graduate of the smart ass university:D

BTW, welcome to the forum, nice resume you got there.

mrlogix
05-08-2015, 05:18 AM
To me, it doesn't make sense to spend ~$10k knowing that you are going to have very limited (probably zero) warranty support, difficulty finding parts, and quirks due to low/early production runs.

we are all here, because we are not all there :D buy it

djs2k2
05-08-2015, 06:10 AM
Man talk about a piece of good advice that got taken way to personal! I'm also sure "Mike VV's" post was supposed to be read in a sturn voice, picture a man with a vein bulging out of his neck, sweat dripping from his forehead, his first clinched, and he's pacing back and forth on a hardwood floor with boot's on fighting the voices in his head mumbling those guys on that forum don't know $hit...!! I'm just trying to make light of the situation welcome to the forum I like to dabble in creativity with a bit of smart-ass-ness, but only for comedic value never to hurt anyone!

Mike VV
05-09-2015, 12:28 AM
No, actually I wan't wasn't being ugly or mad during the writing of that note, just stating fact, from a poster that I figured that had no clue what I knew about bikes in general or what I didn't know.
I just included my experiences over the years so if someone still didn't realize I could tell the difference in the power between my old S1000RR (46,000+ miles) and my 1190RX (currently at almost 1400)..., there is a little of my experience to ponder and maybe I have some idea...that I do have a "little" bit of a clue about some of todays motorcycles. Far from all, but a few..!

And yea, I still have my old XB12S and my 1125CR. The XB runs well for what is is, kinda of a mini bike..! The CR's been sitting because of a pitted exhaust cam, and haven't fixed it yet because of the fact that I'm rebuilding a car from the ground up...almost done...finally. Then I'll get back on getting the CR running.

Mike

djs2k2
05-09-2015, 02:39 AM
[up]

thrstrmech
05-09-2015, 04:45 AM
mriulvr...get in touch with theycallmecrash, his gf may have some insight on EBR parts and or contact AF1