PDA

View Full Version : SS to S or R rear conversion

mrdozer2you
06-12-2007, 05:09 PM
I know that my SS is longer than the standard S models. I was wondering how hard it would be to change it. I know that the frame and swingarm are longer but I'm thinking that all I would need is new side rails, undertray and seat. I thought it would look pretty sweet, almost that extended swingarm look. Add some spacers to jack up the rear end and be done with it. ( Finding cool aftermarket stuff for the SS is next to impossible ) I would really like to have the R rear end and seat but I think that would be way more difficult and costly.

jsg
06-12-2007, 05:44 PM
There is pics of one done like that on the badweb forum. It look pretty cool.

mrdozer2you
06-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Any info on how they did it? Cost parts etc?

onebadblaz
06-12-2007, 08:10 PM
I think that would look pretty sweet!I'd love to have a little bit of an extended swing arm. I have an 12s and put the r tail on it.I found most my stuff on ebay and the subframe was the hardest to find was was the most expensive part.I think i had around 450 to 500bucks in it.The electronics are a little cramed but I made them fit and love the way it looks..here's a pic!
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/onebadblaz/My%20Buell%20XB/mybike001.jpg

mrdozer2you
06-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Thats awesome!!!! Thats exactly what I want to do!! I wonder if it would be an easier switch if I went to an S from the SS. I could get a similar look if I went with the Corbin gunfighter seat, rail spacers and license relocate. How hard would it be to switch my SS to the S rear end then? Any ideas on cost or parts needed?

jsg
06-13-2007, 07:12 PM
But that is not a Ss convert in a R, I don't know how the guy did it but just go on badweatherbikers.com and ask over there there is a sunset orange Ss with a S tail section and it look great.

onebadblaz
06-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Your still going to have to find all the parts!I think what you want to do would look sweet because it would give it the extended swing arm look..I just posted pics of mine cause almost anything is possable.The ss to s conversion would be easier to do I think cause the have all the electronics back there on both bikes as to where the r's is in the front and I had to stuff it in the tail section.It should all be just bolt on..frames were the same so everything should just bolt on!

mrdozer2you...you have all the right thoughts on parts you would need...you just need to get them!I still have my S tail parts but I dont know if I want to sell them? I'll think about it. It's up to you What look you really want to go after though? I love the look of my bike with the R tail!

mrdozer2you
06-14-2007, 12:38 PM
I think im going to do the S conversion. I can get a nice corbin seat and rear cowl that will give almost the same look. ( not quite as [cool] but oh well ) What all is necessary for me to change these out? Is it just side rails and undertray?

onebadblaz
06-14-2007, 03:31 PM
You should be able to use all the factory bolts,tail light assembly so you should just need the undertray,sidrails and the seat....maybe a new seat latch cable? it might be a little long or you could just route it a little diffrent.

You'll have to post pics of it done i'd like to see it! How much longer it your bike compared to the regular S?

mrdozer2you
06-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Absolutely will post pics! I'm going to have to see how much parts will run, my wife was laid off work yesterday :( so my project may be put on hold for a bit. I'm self employed and my income is shotty at best [confused]. Do you still want to get rid of your leftover S parts? Might be able to come up with a few bucks hopefully. I was going to get some bar end mirrors but this would be way better I think. ( birthday present to self )

Oh BTW I own a Benjamin Moore and PPG paint store if anyone cares. ( interior and exterior house paints & stains )