PDA

View Full Version : XB12S running hot / maybe rich

TylerTech
05-04-2009, 07:40 PM
So I got my ECMSpy cable this weekend and hooked this bad boy up. I have been having trouble with sputtering and dying when I go to take off from stops, I've change the oil and used a good syn oil and I'm running new NGK Iridium plugs. I have done the breather reroute and cleaned the air filter tho I'm getting ready to replace it as soon as I figure out my best option there. Checked the battery and its good. Its an 04 with the race ecm and buell race exhaust. It also seems like its running very rich i can smell the gas especially just after starting it and when I had it hooked up it idled for about 5 mins and got hot up around 220c with the fan kicking on. Is this normal if it sits or should it stay in the 160-180 range? Also i'm getting some pretty bad poping/backfiring when getting off the throttle at over 3.5k that started when I removed the stock exhaust throttle module that sits on top of the air box. What could be causing it to run hot/rich? I reset the TSP and AFV it seems to still be doing the same thing tho I didn't get to test it long just around the block before it started storming.

Sorry for the long post trying to give as much info as possible, should I try to find a shop to dyno/remap it for me? I have some maps for the exact model with race exhaust but I'm sorta weary of burning maps that aren't specifically for my bike.

LeFox
05-04-2009, 10:14 PM
you're running lean, not rich...

how's your fuel pressure?

TylerTech
05-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Ah ok so lean will cause the gas smell as well? I'm a noob I knew the poping is lean. How do I check fuel pressure?

dave_xb12r
05-05-2009, 12:19 AM
running rough/poping is rich. Hot and smooth is lean. If you want maximum power and you don't care about your motor, you tune it lean. That's why we're always looking for that sweet spot between having good power but not hurting your motor.

Another member (spymac) has the same issue right now. Good luck! let us know what it was when you fix it!

TylerTech
05-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Weather was finally nice today and I got to take it for a ride for about 30 mins, after a short ride I set the idle up to 1050 and its running great now. No more popping and it feels very responsive and hasn't been dying. I guess resetting the TPS and AFV straightened it out for me.[up] I would still like to have someone dyno it for me and do fuel maps just for my bike maybe after I get a few more mods. I am looking at doing the air box mod next.

Thanks for all the replys I will keep you guys posted and let you know how it runs after about a week of riding. >.>

TylerTech
05-05-2009, 06:03 AM
Oh ya I think the hot was just from having it sit still several times while I tried to tune it, it was humid that day too. I didn't notice it getting hot tonight but the wind was pretty chilly.