PDA

View Full Version : i got sold a lemon

800screws
06-05-2015, 10:41 PM
I took it not even a mile down the road for the first time today and it locked up on me and turned off.....the dash screen says low voltage.........I got it home, and even tried to start it with a jump pack....it starts its sequence ok when u turn the key....when u press the start button it sucks all life out of everything, even with the booster.....I got a code 73 one time on the screen too.

I tightened up the battery cables...........still nothing

Shawns
06-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Fully charge your battery and check your stator output. Known issue that can be resolved.

Matteson
06-05-2015, 11:07 PM
What year? Sounds like an 09. Not a lemon. You just bought someone else's problem.

Timeless
06-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Edit: Matteson beat me to it.

800screws
06-05-2015, 11:42 PM
It's a 08. It's like one thing after another with this thing and I haven't even drove it a full mile. It should start with a jump pack on it. It like its drawing down the whole jump pack and battery when I try to start it. It would start and idle no problem before I took it out to ride I finally.

Shawns
06-05-2015, 11:45 PM
Stators go bad, doesn't matter what the manufacturer. These bikes draw some serious amps when starting.

Matteson
06-06-2015, 12:27 AM
Wait until your rear wheel needs to be replaced because the outer race of the bearing whollered out the hub. LOL.
I too have had my frustrations with the 1125r. Or, wait until the sprag clutch goes. They definitely are fun though. I had a strange relationship with mine. Whoever owns it now had a very well sorted bike. Kinda miss now that I think of it. Nah, she was ugly. Hence why I ride the xb model now.
But seriously what ,if anything has been done to bike? Any aftermarket stuff wired up? Check your grounds. We need a little more info to help out I believe.

800screws
06-06-2015, 12:42 AM
Oh yeah. Has accessory port. Shift light. Garmin. I got it started finally. Not sure why it finally started. But it took a handful of tries before it stayed running. I let it warm up and then when I gave it a blip of the throttle it would stall out. It did that a couple more times and then now it seems to be fine.
I'll try it again tomorrow and see what happens. Kinda makes me nervous though. Don't want to get stranded or have my bike lock up when in pushing it

heagachongoose
06-06-2015, 01:16 AM
You need to find out EVERYTHING that has been done to your bike. 08s have a very low electrical power output. They beefed up the stator for 09s to fix it only to have the damn thing fry thus creating another problem. What battery is in the bike?

Start by unplugging all non oem electrical accessories.

Shawns
06-06-2015, 03:51 AM
If the battery was that dead your gonna need to do a tps reset. I agree on starting fresh with none of the add-ons. At least this way you are starting with just the bike, not someone else's possible electrical nightmare. I would also check the wiring at the base of the ignition switch, this is also a known issue. They will break at the base of the switch.

800screws
06-06-2015, 11:43 AM
What's the go to battery with some high cca's? It has a yusa in it now

rchuff
06-06-2015, 11:48 AM
I would buy a big crank battery from battery-mart on line I think it is the best replacement for your buell. cca 220