PDA

View Full Version : Convert a Firebolt Front to a Lighting Front

JBBueller
06-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Hi all,

I got a screaming good deal on a 2003 900 Firebolt but I do mostly city driving. I would like to change out the Firebolt front for a Lighting CityX front.

Has anyone done this? If so do I have to buy new cables and speedo. Is it straight forward or are there things to look out for?

Thanks,

JB

DruAdams
06-13-2007, 12:03 AM
why? I ride my 12r in the City( well as city as Cocoa Beach/Melbourne area is) although i do like the idea of the hand guards and lights the follow the front wheel.

JBBueller
06-13-2007, 12:18 AM
The "why" is that I would like the handle bars and mirrors higher. Hand guards and lights that follow the front wheel would be another plus.

onebadblaz
06-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Your going to find a place for the fuse boxes there on the front of the r's and under the seat of the s's.It would prolly be a challenge!

mrdozer2you
06-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Just switch out the bars then. Easy fix.

roberuno
06-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I have done that job. Mine was R and now is S, no problem till now, I'm looking for a real short rear tail, one seat, I have seen on google video a bikers with that seat but I cannot find any place to look for.
Ciao from Italy
Roberuno
:D :D :D

buellxb
06-19-2007, 04:56 PM
I have spoken with so many Buell riders that want to go from Firebolt to Lightning or vice versa. We should set up a trading post on this site so that everyone can just trade parts out.

DruAdams
06-21-2007, 01:09 PM
this link is for the helibars conversion for the firebolt. It moves the clipons back and up to give you a more upright riding position, and uses all the original cables etc...

http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=HC0301

keisersozae
01-10-2009, 01:39 PM
really interested in this conversion for the front of my r. is the ecm mounted in the front of the s? man there are a lot of wires to deal with. any suggestions from someone who has done this? i know i need the s triple tree and im getting the headlight bracket. is there anything im missing?

keisersozae
01-10-2009, 02:56 PM
ok been doing my reading. it seems the wiring harnesses are different. anyone that has done this have pictures of where you put the fusebox and ecm in the back of the r????

SeabeeBueller
03-17-2009, 03:20 AM
Ok... keisesozae, how hard was the switch to lightning front? Did you do step by step photos? I think I will be starting the changeover soon. I want to use some hid lights as well so I will have to hide the ballast as well. Im very interested.
Bill

keisersozae
03-17-2009, 08:22 PM
not too too bad. i changed to the lightning harness. plenty of room behind flyscreen for the hid stuff. im running really low bars and can just barely use my brakeline for the r. needing to get the longer one. the ignition is different from models and i still need to do that, $112. my r ignition is zippped into the hole.

my tips would be to remember the order in which everything came apart, and pay close attention to how the harness is run through the bike. it can be tricky.

i am totally pleased with the result. i use it to cummute 20 miles roundtrip a day and play on the weekends. it really suits me better.

if you get stuck just holla.

shilohsk8
03-18-2009, 07:32 AM
This seems like a pain in the ass conversion to do, but if anyone is interested I will sell you my Lightning top triple and bars. Hit me up at shilohsk8@aol.com