PDA

View Full Version : Radar detector on a firebolt?

dave_xb12r
05-11-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm hoping to mount my Beltronics RX65 to my firebolt for a few long trips. Has anyone mounted a radar to their firebolt? The only place I can think of is zip tied up to the bottom of the fairing. We just don't have the usual radar mounting places. [sad] Any help would be appreciated

Tork
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Look up RAM mounts. They have a wide variety of systems and components that let you decide on a solution that works for you. I use a RAM system to mount my GPS.

For convenience, I often just put my detector in one of the top pockets of my tank bag. The tank bag canvas material does not affect the detector sensitivity. I still get enough warning distance to check my speed and slow down if needed. Since I use the detector audio (via earphone) to alert me, I don't need to have the detector visible, and the bag placement keeps it out of sight for would-be thieves if I have to make a dash inside the Quickee-Mart. It does however eliminate the laser detection ability, which isn't really much of a loss. If you're driving too fast and your laser detector goes off, you might as well just pull over and start pulling out your license and insurance papers for the LEO that is pulling you over.

dave_xb12r
05-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks Tork. I might try putting it in my tank bag as well if I can figure out how to make it sit level

Tork
05-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Does the "lid" of your tank bag have any pockets (inside or outside)? If not, you might be able to use velcro in a creative way to hold it where you want it.

dave_xb12r
05-11-2009, 10:28 PM
I have the buell tank bag. It has a clear map compartment on top that I usually put my ipod in. The problem is my tank bag isn't level on top. If I was to put a radar on top, it would aim at the gauges.

kajer
05-11-2009, 11:20 PM
if you really wanted your detector out in the open, what about using the 3M dual-lock stuff to the top of your master cylinder?

Tork
05-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Definitely do-able. There's not a whole lot of clearance between the master cylinder and fairing on my 12R while cranking the bars back and forth, but you might be able to get your detector in there without interference. I definitely wouldn't use anything less than 3M Dual Lock to mount it.

For anyone else looking to mount a gps, radar detector, etc., see the mounting options here http://www.whitehorsepress.com/index.php?cPath=171.

kajer
05-12-2009, 12:24 AM
oh yeah, the fairing!

I don't have any of those fancy pants contraptions on my XB12Ss :D