PDA

View Full Version : Running rich with fuel injection

SupersteveBX
11-23-2006, 04:38 AM
I have a 2005 City XB9 and Im running so rich its turning my pipes dark blue. When Im sitting at a light, the smell of gas is realy strong. Is there any Do-It-Yourself things I can do???[confused]

BuellPartsGuy
11-23-2006, 05:04 AM
Well for one, pipes turning blue is usually from running lean, because lean burns hotter. When are you smelling gas the worst? These Buells do have a pretty rich idle circut they stay on till they warm up thoroughly. Any mods done to it? How many miles on it? Where are you located? Only thing I could recommend is a re-flash and zero the TPS...

SupersteveBX
11-23-2006, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the response BPG. Im in southern wis, no mods and just over 3200 miles My top speed is just over 100 mph and Im 180 lbs. What is a "re-flash and zero the TPS" and can I do them at home???

BuellPartsGuy
11-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Your top speed should be a lot more than that. Most XB9's top out bouncing the rev-limiter at about 135-140 and most XB12's top out about 145-150. As far as the re-flash and zeroing the TPS, it needs to be done buy a dealer with Buell capabilities on their Digital Tech program. It is not something you do yourself at home. I recently moved from Minnesota and I have a XB9R Firebolt, and I didn't have either problems with my Buell, but it could be due to the cold weather up there right now. I have never had my Buell in extreme cold conditions to be able to speak on that subject. I would take it to a dealer to have it checked out if the problem worries you. Let me know if you have any more questions....

paperclip
11-24-2006, 03:46 PM
That would be my suggestion. Take it to a dealer to tell you what's wrong. If is something you can do then do it yourself, if not have the buell experts do it.

maybebuell
11-24-2006, 07:55 PM
pipes blueing is a sign of running rich not lean..thats a proven fact..its raw gas starting to burn inside exhaust pipe due to the heat inside the pipe..or running to retarded

BuellPartsGuy
11-24-2006, 10:15 PM
No, it is a proven fact that it can happen from either condition. Rich or lean, but it can also have some to do with the timing of the bike and type and quality of finish on the pipe itself. If your bike is dumping enough fuel in to be burning some inside the exhaust, you have some problems and shouldn't be too concerned about your exhaust blueing. But what I forgot to ask is if you are talking about the header pipes on the Buells, they all eventually turn blue, Hell, my header pipes on my Firebolt with 11,000 miles on it are turning white for about an inch out on the header from the head.

maybebuell
11-27-2006, 10:00 PM
turning white....i assume is not a crome header pipe

BuellPartsGuy
11-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Nope just the stock stainless steel pipe.

certifiedbiker
03-21-2007, 08:43 AM
This is quite complicated to be a DIY thing. You probably need to consult your neighborhood mechanic to trace where the problems are rooted from.

lucas70374
03-21-2007, 02:08 PM
I agree with BPG, The stock header will change to a ugly blue, purple. real nasty look. To eliminate that order a ceramic coated pipe or wrap the exhaust

maybebuell
03-21-2007, 11:23 PM
blue is rich sorry to say BPG..just trying to help,,,they say gold is on the lean side....pipes turn blue fron a over rich mixture that hits the hot pipes and burns again in the pipes..unburnt gas hits the pipes and burns causing high heat turning pipes blue....your right about the pipes turning blue from heat..its not because of a lean condishion

BPlass
02-09-2010, 03:31 AM
Was it early in the year? Or late? I also live in Wisconsin (northern, near Appleton) and early in the year I experience my SX running a little rich too. Granted last season I rode in 17 degrees with 10 degree windchill...My girlfriend says I'm dumb, I say that I just love to ride.

acepilot79
02-09-2010, 04:01 AM
ooh,ooh I wanna get in this... BPG is correct...and mabyebuell is partially correct...Gold and blue pipes result because the exhaust is running too hot. There are three reasons for this. The first, most common reasons, is that the bike is running lean. A lean mixture causes exhaust temperature to rise very sharply. A slightly rich mix will not cause blued or yellowed pipes...However, a very rich mix can result in an extreme case of bluing. This happens when the mix is not completely burned in the combustion chamber, (either due to a too rich mix, malfunctioning coil, burned valve, improper timing, or whatnot) and rather ignites inside the exhaust. This can result in an exhaust pipe that glows red while the bike is running. Only in this extreme case can a too-rich mixture cause bluing, but you would definitely be able to tell because of of the glowing header and possible after firing. The common myth that blue is lean and gold is rich (or the vise versa) is just that. A myth. and finally. long periods of idle can cause pipes to blue because there isn't any airflow to blow off the heat. (some people let their bikes idle WAY too long upon start up before they take off)

info from numerous resources, and my personal awsomeness...(Aviation Maintenance Technician)

Snosnake65
02-11-2010, 03:15 AM
Does ECMSPY allow any changes that could help this problem?(bluing pipes?) I have this program but am not familiar using it yet.